Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is there such a thing as “too pretty” for yachting?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:39 PM

Piggybacking off the “looks get jobs” forum, I had a thought. As well all know, women in the yachting industry have to be attractive – let’s face it, pretty girls are hired, but if you’re too attractive, you might not get the job because you’re a threat to the owner’s wife, girlfriend or whoever the Mrs.  may be or even a caddy chief stewardess who doesn’t like having attractive women around.

I cite these examples from the “looks get jobs forum”:

“Yeah i just hired a chef who turns out to be very beautiful , the owner (older guy has a 20 something young girlfriend and she felt insecure and thought the chef was too pretty to be hired regardless of her culinary background ...so yes looks matter in the yachting industry a lot!”

“Yeah, try working for a private yacht yacht where the Husband has had an affair. You can bet the wife only hires ugly chicks......”

Beauty in these cases seems to be a double edged sword.

Men, on the other hand, don’t seem to have this issue at all. Unattractive, yet presentable guys are hired as long as they can look the “yachtie” part and the more attractive they are, the better their chances of getting hired. You never hear stories of a first mate who was fired because the owner thought he was too good looking or a deckie who lost a job to a less attractive guy because the captain didn’t want competition with the female crew on board.

It seems to be yet another classic case of gender prejudice in which men are able to be who they are, but women must walk the line between plain Jane and beautiful in order to keep their job.

I was just curious if any female yachties have felt they have to play down their looks in order to keep the peace, to get a job and or keep it.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:49 PM

"You never hear stories of a first mate who was fired because the owner thought he was too good looking or a deckie who lost a job to a less attractive guy because the captain didn’t want competition with the female crew on board.

It seems to be yet another classic case of gender prejudice in which men are able to be who they are, but women must walk the line between plain Jane and beautiful in order to keep their job".

Do you think this is because women in general are vain and jealous beasts and men are not?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:18 AM
I am an engineer that thinks looks are taken far too seriously in this industry. The sooner people focus on what people can do, the sooner our industry will become professional grade. If I was employed solely on looks I'd probably be unemployed, having said that I think people expect engineers to look a certain way. Yacht owners like to employ pleasant people and looks definitely play a role, having said that I'd also go onto say personality and an ability to do ones job well, go a long way towards longevity of employment. If you can't do the job, you wont last long no matter how attractive or appropriate you look.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 6:45 PM
I once had a fantastic interview with a captain for a sole stew/cook position. Our personalities clicked and he was impressed with my experience. All went very well and I was offered the position. Instead of just stopping with that he needlessly told me he was not allowed hire anyone as attractive as the Mrs. I took the job anyway and shortly after met the Mrs. She was a rather plain Jane so I guess the captain had a very small pool of uggos to choose from.
captcoach
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 7:00 PM

I think this gets down to a total package thing. You can't just be beautiful but certainly the looks can help you if you got game. Your lack of skills will be exposed sooner or later. I think likability also comes into play. If your very attractive on the outside but appear to be lacking in the personality dept., that doesn't work real well either. Your working in close quarters, you can't be too cool or aloof. Likeability, it may be more important than the looks.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:57 AM
I'm a position (as a stewardess) aboard a vessel that has very pretty petit girls. Keeping up is exhausting and the pressure is huge! I feel like if I gain 5 or 10 lbs. I could loose my job. It sucks. Back home in the real world, I feel happy about my appearance. I feel like a 10. But here I feel like an fat ugly duckling... I struggle with it but it's something I'm working on. Yachting is not forever for me that's for sure.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:07 PM

It is an unfortunate but rather major by-product of the yachting industry. It is an image based one and one that has to keep up with style and pre conceived looks play a major part in selection for roles, FACT. It is a very seen industry, but to be truly honest, you don´t want a ten ton Tessie with acne serving you dinner and drinks that can´t bend over to pick up the glasses without splitting her skirt. I am sure there are loads of Tessies out there who are well qualified that are unable to enter the industry for that very reason.

Mind you the same goes for other positions, which we do tend to forget. Do you want to see a 25 stone Captain covered in tatoos with piercings running a 60m who can´t tuck his shirt into his belt who sweats so profusely he looks like he´s just walked out of a swimming pool? Doubt it.

Or a deckhand who is so ugly even the wild coyotees would run away from him even if they were starving to death? Doubt it.

Don´t get me wrong, but there are loads of people who are not drop dead gorgeous who fill a large part of our industry. But some roles, are only filled with drop dead gorgeous girls. Whether they are any use work wise remains to be seen!

When I hire crew I look at the whole picture, looks, talent, experience, capability, suitability, personality, age etc. I have never had any owner in 16 years that has told me to hire female crew based on looks.

But it is about style and looks, just look at the yachts themselves, the interiors, the whole garb that goes with it, the limos, the helicopters, the whole industry is just that, STYLE and the majority of the time you have to fit into the required mould, sad but true. Maybe if we were talking the commercial industry where people don´t have to fit into the yachting mould that has created the yachting industry, then that satisfies a niche in the market for those who can´t work in the yachting game, that´s of course if they want to which I doubt that they would.

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:57 PM
Again, I disagree, I have worked with people who fit all those descriptions Kaj. 6 yachts now and still yet to work with a hottie. The crew hired are only as shallow as the owner. The BEAUTIFUL people are invited as guests and wives, not the servants.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 3:57 PM

Dear Anon,

I hear what you are saying, I usually don´t hire drop dead gorgeous hotties either, but I also don´t hire the opposite end of the scale either. I often find the real hotties know it and also often tend not to be the workers for some reason.

Cheers

Capt Kaj

Average 3.5 out of 5