Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice needed for stew starting out in Antibes
Michelle Erasmus
Posted: Thursday, December 2, 2010 11:30 AM

Hi everyone! I am preparing to begin my yachting career in March 2011 and have a few queries I was hoping you could help me out with. Firstly I need somewhere (preferably cheap) to stay in Antibes, France. I have had a look at all the crew accommodation websites but would like to hear from someone who has stayed somewhere recently and can recommend it firsthand. Secondly I would like some advice on dockwalking and which agencies are worth signing up with. And lastly, I would like some advice on bank accounts. I would also be grateful for any other advice you can give me. Michelle.

JT
Posted: Sunday, December 5, 2010 11:28 AM

Hi Michelle, I have just moved away from Antibes after staying there for a few weeks job hunting and I stayed for a while in the Glamorgan crew house which I thought was brilliant, would recommend and return to, not the cheapest crew house around though heard a lot of bad things about the cheapest, get what you pay for I think in that. I then moved about through a few apartments in town that were even cheaper with a few other people, not sure how much they'll be in the spring though, but definitely worth checking out if you know a few people as we paid under half what the cheapest crew house would be at points, keep in mind however some crew houses do get phone calls asking for dayworkers. Though not being there in the spring chatting to people it gets insanely busy so might be wise to make some crew house/flat enquiries early and get booked in. Agencies wise the approach of everyone was sign up with as many as you can, there is loads in Antibes and a few along in Monaco, which is easy to get to on the train for an interview anyway. I could list loads if you do want but will mention Bluewater here as they were by far the most helpful to me and found me my job. My main piece of advice from my first experiences with dockwalking is go on your own, or at the very least split up with a travelling buddy when you get to the docks. Try to get to different places as well and get there early. If you don't find any work for a day it's easy to think there's nothing left to do, and laze around (seen it) but the more successful job hunters I met were the ones that went somewhere else to chat to boats and hand out cv's. Have found people are happy to chat, or at least take a cv if they're busy. Oh and finally don't let it get you down! It can be hard at times but persevere, I think that was actually the most important thing. Can't help you on the money I'm afraid as I took some cash, and used dayworking money for keep and my UK account when needed until I found full time work, but never dipped into my account too much and that was fine for me. Good luck with it when you come and if you do have any other questions I'd be happy to help to the best of my knowledge so feel free to get in touch.
Malcy
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:52 AM

Hi Michelle

I agree with most that JT has written. I would love to provide you loads of advice, but this is included in my new book The Marine Cookery Bible, which includes loads of information on transport, dockwalking, crew agencies and accommodation in Antibes. The book is due out on Amazon at the end of February/early March. If you want specifics, please check out my website and contact me by e.mail - I am happy to share, but not on a public forum. Book previews will be available in the New Year.

For your info, my Marine Cookery grad students who head to Antibes in numbers have found that renting  an aprt is quite a good way of spreading the cost. Unfortunatley, as one finds work, so the cost goes up for the others! There are a number of well known crew houses, as JT mentioned, The Glamorgan, The Crew House, The Crew Grapevine, Debbie's Crew House are the four which I feature in the book.

Try to make sure you have your B1/B2 visas for the US and ENG1 medical and register with a load of agencies before you go out there, attaching a good quality C.V.

Good luck - Malcy

Check out :   www.essentialmarinecookery.com

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:03 PM
For candidates coming to France, a B1/B2 is not required. Anyone applying for one when actually heading to France will just be told to apply when they have clear dates and a job that they have been offered, happened last year, and USA immigration have become even stricter lately.
The Crew Coach
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:43 AM

Hi Michelle, I agree with the posts above - and would like to add just a few more thoughts for you. Join all the agencies and make an effort to get to know them: be friendly, positive and professional at all times when you see them and treat them as you would any normal interviewer. BUT bear in mind that they may not be able to find you a job until you have experience. The path therefore is for you to get experience as soon as you can by dayworking. To get daywork you need to dockwalk and also network like mad. The yachting community in the South of France is very well connected and you must therefore be really careful about your reputation at all times, on and off duty. Everybody knows everybody here so this can work for you when you are a good candidate but against you if you rub people up the wrong way (not that I think you will, just making the point!). Once you have some daywork on your CV you become more employable as people know you have some idea of what the work entails and you're less of a risk. If you can, arrive early (with money saved to see you through a month or so of job hunting) and you will stand a better chance of building a good reputation so that when the jobs start opening up you are top of mind. Good luck and keep smiling - that's your best sales tool
Michelle
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 2:52 PM

Any advice on when the best time to head to Antibes is?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 3:37 PM

Beat the rush and get there in Feb/March. Good luck!

faybion
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 5:39 PM

You could beat the rush by going feb/march only thing is as that is fairly early you be wasting money on accom and getting no day work personally i would go mid march... Crew houses if you want cheap... be prepared to live in a pig stye! I would reccomend to pay more and stay in a better crew house that way they will help you out with jobs my friend run's the grapvine and she says its lovely there in fact im going to visit next feb for a holiday. Gook luck
Lucy
Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 10:42 AM

Hi Michelle I am also planning on going to Antibes at the end of March so maybe we could help each other with networking, looking for accommodation, etc. I've got some great ideas and contacts in the area, so please get in touch with me. I can't wait to get over there and find a great job!
Michelle
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 12:38 PM

Hi Lucy, thanks for your reply. Can you email me please? Thanks
Charross
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 5:48 PM

Hi Michelle and Lucy, I am also going to Antibes in March and staying at the Grapevine. I am completing my STCW95 course via bluewater starting the 14th March. Have you completed your STCW95 yet?
madge
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 12:12 PM

Hi guys,
I'm also looking to travel to Antibes Mid March 2011. I'm rushing things a bit doing the course early march.
I'm getting my ENG 1 next week. I have experience managing watersports and hospitality work, mainly looking for stewaress work but am really keen to learn the ropes for deckhand positions as well.
I dont have formal trainning on boats or sea time logged...will this be much of a problem for me??
Also, I am looking at visas right now, can someone confirm exactly what visa I need and where online I need to apply?

Thanks 

Michelle
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 1:13 PM

Hi Charross, yesI have done the STCW course but I'm arriving on the 14th also so maybe we can meet up that evening after your course? Or another night that week?
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 8:56 PM
Hi, I have worked on yachts in Antibes for quite a few years, and if you are really serious about dockwalking around Antibes, the best times..yes times are before 8 in the morning and around 4 in the afternoon. We would have dayworkers finish and tell us that they couldn't come back the next day so we would scramble around like mad trying to find more dayworkers in the afternoon for the next day. We weren't the only ones either. A lot of boats had the same trouble. Food for thought
Laure
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:11 AM

Hi Girls ! (Michelle, Lucy and  Charross)
Same for me, i will be in Atibes mid of March and will do my STCW95 with BlueWater.
I think staying at the Grapevine crew house.
It will be great if we could meet up for a drink !
I am also french, so if you need some help for anything...

Cheers !

Charross
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:56 PM

Hi Laure,

Sounds great! I think we will probably be on the same course at Bluewater!

Lucy
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:10 PM

Hi Laure, Michelle and Chaross I will only be getting to Antibes on the 28th of March and will also be staying at Crew Grapevine- It would be great to meet up for a drink. Looking forward to it!
Katie
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:30 PM

Dear Girls, my best advice would be to stay as professional as you can be from the moment you arrive in antibes. I work in the industry for 2 years now, but I remember the time I got to Antibes like yesterday. I admit it: I was too lazy, didn't really go and see the agencies for weeks, prefered hanging out with the cool and tanned, handsome men who seemed to be practically everywhere. I ended up getting a job after 6 weeks, but this could have happened earlier on, if I would have been more focused and didn't pretend I was on a fun holiday. Go see the agencies right away and be prepared, with your CV and photo on their websites always up to date. Mingle at the bars, 80 % of my friends got jobs by just meeting other yachties! check angloinfo.com and make sure you dont let other people bring you down by telling you "there are no jobs"! everybody (with exerience or without) will end up finding a job, some people just give up too early or run out of money. keep positive at all times and dont forget that a simple smile and a positive attitude can get you very far in this industry! Good luck! (I also agree with all the posts above)
Bluewater
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 12:41 PM

Hi Everyone... Just a wee heads up, both the grapevine and the glamorgan crew houses do special rates for anyone doing courses with us in Antibes! Also, we have a lot of networking events coming up, check out our facebook page or group: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Water-Yachting/81710752968 or http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=136482920152... If you need help with anything Antibes/ yachting related feel free to contact us directly on info@bluewateryachting.com and we can shed some light for you :D
The Crew Coach
Posted: Friday, February 4, 2011 8:59 PM

Hi guys, Great to see you bonding already! Just to let you know I'll be running free weekly talks in Antibes throughout March and April to give you all the inside industry info you need to get your first job - you'll find flyers about this when you arrive. In the meantime you might find this map handy to get your bearings. Good luck! http://map.to/rivieracrewinfo
Solita
Posted: Saturday, February 5, 2011 6:34 AM

Hey Charross, Michelle, Lucy,Madge and Laure! (wow, that was a mouthful.)  I'm in the same boat as all of you guys - I'm heading to anti's at the end of march all the way from lil ol' New Zealand. Hows everyone's preparations before heading to antibes going? It's crazy, time is flying isn't it?! Anyway I just thought I would add my two cents and like Lucy suggested - let's all meet up for a drink or something, as I'm sure we'll all bump into each at one point or another.

Ana
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:36 PM

Hi girls, I have to mention I was so happy when I found this forum. I am also job hunting like you. I'm coming to Antibes 6th of March staying over at The Crew Grapevine as I've seen some of you also are staying over there. It would be very nice if we all could meet, I'm looking forward to meet all of you.
Laure
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 9:08 AM

Hi girls !
It is me again !
To let you know i will be in Antibes the 24th of March and do my STCW95 on the 28th.
I tried to book to the Grapevine but they are full booked... I have to find something else...
I was thinking to, maybe, rent a flat in Antibes, it will be much cheaper than these crew houses. Because you never know when you will get a job : 2, 3, 6 weeks ?
So, i will be looking for flatmates !
I am looking forward to meet you for a drink !

See you in France !

Laure

Charross
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:18 PM

Hi Everyone, How's everyones preparation before heading out to Antibes? I am getting very excited now and I look forward to meeting you all soon. I will be at the crew grapevine from the 9th.. and no doubt checking out the blue lady that very evening!! I have registered with a few agencies, but I don't think my account with them will be active until I meet them face to face and get my Certificate uploaded. Its good to get all the registering procedures out of the way beforehand! See you all soon. Charlotte
francisca
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:04 AM

Hi everyone! First of all I wish you all the best in finding a job!I'm also looking for a job but first I want to gather enough information... So I'm wondering did anyone of you girls follow a stewardess course?Or do you have some experience somehow? Greetz Francisca
Kim
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 2:00 PM

Hi Laure,

I will also be in Antibes around that time and doing my STCW95 with Bluewater. I tried to register for the course starting on March 21 but it was full...however they are thinking of opening up another course for the same days and I am on a waiting list for that. I may just register for the March 28 course, in which case we would be in the same course!

I am also searching for accomodation at the moment. I like the idea of spending maybe the first 1-2 weeks in a crew house because I think it is a great opportunity to meet people and get advice on dockwalking. I am also interested in shared accomodation because I cannot afford to live at a crew house for very long. Is anyone else looking for shared accomodation? Laure, have you had any luck locating another crew house with availability during this time period?

I am from Canada and I look forward to meeting you all!

Michaela de Pinna
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 3:45 PM

Hey Guys, I am arriving in Antibes on the 22nd of March and can't wait. I was there last year and need to begin the job search again. I am meeting the stew that I worked with last year and we looking for people to share accommodation with. I have found some really nice apartments that would be a lot cheaper if the cost was shared. They all have wifi which is such a bonus when job hunting. Let me know if you maybe interested? Keep well, from South Africa
Michelle
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:48 AM

Thanks for all the replys everyone! I haven't been on here for awhile and its nice to see there are a few of you in the same position moving over at the same time. I am in Antibes now staying at the Crew House so feel free to email me when you get here and we could meet up for a drink! Michelle
Kamilah
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:14 AM

Hi All! My friend and I (2 girls) will be arriving in Antibes on Sunday 20th March, and we are struggling to find accommodation in a crew house at the moment. If anyone has 2 beds going in a share apartment (or any other suggestions!) please let us know! Hope to cross paths with you all around Antibes Kamilah
Laure
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:40 PM

Hi girls !
It is nice to read that everyone is getting ready for Antibes !
I will be there in 10 days and I can't wait !
I will begin my STCW95 on monday 28th of March and I will stay at the French Prime Crew Accomodation.
I don't know if they have beds available...
Some other places where you can try :
http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/60375-The-Crew-House
http://www.debbiescrewhouse.com/
http://www.crewgrapevine.com/
http://www.theglamorgan.com/
Otherwise there is a youth hostel :
http://www.clajsud.fr/holiday_antibes.a3.en.html
And some real hotels but they are expensive...
Hope this can help ! It seems they are getting full very quick !
Francisca : you have to get your STCW95 first, it is a safety course very important. Ask to Blue Water in Antibes, they run lots of courses. I have 8 months experience as hostess/cook/deckhand on sailing boats, I hope it will help !
Kim, let me know when you will start your course and where you will stay !
Michaela, i will be very interested to share an accomadation with you and other people ! Kim ?
Michelle, how Antibes is ?
Looking forward to meet you all and good luck for the job hunting !

Cheers !

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:30 PM
Hi Girls, I too will am planning on coming to Antibes next week and stay in the Grapevine, does anybody know the visa requirements for an american? I know I have 90 days with the Schengen, but since I don't have a job yet, I don't see how I can apply for a B1/B2. PLus does anyone know how it works if you find a job on a foreign flagged vessel, but could be based out of France or Italy? Sure I will meet you all in a couple weeks! Thanks!
Kim
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:21 AM

Laure - I will start my course on March 28 so we will be doing it together.  I am going to stay with someone on couch surfing for a few days while I search for more permenant but affordable options for accomodation. Would love to meet for a drink though.

Lucy
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:54 PM

Hey girls! Nice to hear we will all be in the same boat, hehe Looking forward to meeting you all. Will be arriving with my friend Georgie and staying at the CRew Grapevine so please come and find me or let me know where you are and we can meet up. Cheers and see you there!
Laure
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:51 PM

Actualy I don't have any bed booked at the crew house !!!
They made a mistake with my booking...
Just to let you know I am looking for an accommodation from thursday 24th of March...
So, if you know a place where I can stay... I am still interested to share a flat !!!
My email address : laurebilaud@yahoo.fr

See you soon !

Zuzi
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 10:23 AM

Hi everyone, i am also planning to go to Antibes next week. It is going to be my first time and i have no idea what to do. Iˇve read all of your links and they are very helpful so far. I have just one question. How much i need an example for one month of staying in Antibes? Many thanks
Laure
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:01 PM

Zuzi,

South of France is expensive... I would say between 800 and 1000€ a month.
Some crew house's rates are 200€ a week !
Hope this can help !

Laure
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:48 PM

Hi girls !

Is everyone ok in Antibes ?
How is the job hunting ?
I got my ENG1 and I am doing my STCW95 until friday.
It would be nice to meet up together. What about monday evening ?

Hope to hear from you soon !

Laure

Capt Edward P
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 2:24 PM

I gave a job to a polish boy in 2006 who sat every day outside Port VAUBAN with a cardboard sign - saying "Give Me A Job". I respected him so much for his efforts,that after 3 days I gave him a job. Very good worker, he earned €150 a day. He lived at the CLAJ-PACA by the lightouse on the point, which was dorm by cheap. This is a long way, but was only €17 a night, and there were many people he said looking for work there. However he got the work, as he stuck out. - and earned €150 a day less €17 a night. Good for him. Yours 'aye Captain Ed................hideousfrance.com
Laure
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 1:06 PM

Hi everybody !

I am still in Antibes, staying at Debbie's crew house. This place is nice.
What about having a drink together ?
Is everyone got already a job ? Cause no news...

Hope to hear fom you soon.

Laure

Gareth
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:23 PM

Hi Laurie is it still busy in Antibes. Regarding accomidation

Rusty Wrench
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:38 PM

[comment edited by moderator]

Laure
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:08 PM

Hi Gareth,

Yes still busy in Antibes. But lot of jobs opportunities !

And Rusty, you must be this kind of person with one thousand friends on facebook, I am not !
And if this kind of comments/topics bother you, just don't have a look at it !

Have a lovely day !

simongb-N2
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:32 PM

Love all this camaraderie here. Keep up the positive attitudes it is great to see and hear

Like to know how you all fair and if you all find positions by the start of the season. Stay upbeat and positive and remember you are on show at all times. South of France or Balearics are small places, and even smaller if you are in the Yachting world. So stay well groomed at all times, be smiling, polite and above all focused on why you are here. Believe in yourself.

Use spare time you have practicing your languages and start learning the Yachts, names and their Captains and Officers. If you bump into one ashore, in the store, at the chandlers and know their name it is easier to say good morning and ask if they got your CV, or if they were looking for....

You spent the money and time to get to where you are, now much of where you go from here is on your hands with maybe a little luck of timing.

While  I hear what many of you say about dock walking and going it alone, never rule out going as a professional group. If I was looking for help and found three stewardess's role up 'professionally' it may be what makes me think these people have their act together.  Just a thought. maybe try it for a day or two if going it alone is not working for you.

Keep posting, like to follow your progress.

Remember this-
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kiwi D
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 2:07 AM

I imagine there are a few people, like myself, who have been keeping a keen eye on this thread to see how you all succeed with your job hunts.

I am looking to join in the hunt myself at the end of May, possibly pushing it for timings but hopefully I can make it all work out.

So on that note - how have you all gone with your searching for work? Any updates on how things have been progressing?

Lucy
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 1:55 PM

Hey guys... Thanks for the positive vibes I've had some daywork but am still looking for something more permanent... Moved out of Antibes as it just started feeling like groundhog day and am now much happier! Got lots of friends here in the same position so it's cool to have that support... just keeping positive, looking everywhere and trying not to spend too much money! If anyone is looking for a very friendly and enthusiastic stew, please give me a shout!!! (Shameless self promotion sometimes also helps I speak pretty good Italian, Portuguese, French and Spanish. How's everyone else doing? Still all in Antibes? Good luck with the jobhunt!
Kiwi D
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:37 PM

Hey Lucy,

Thats unfortunate you havent found a job yet but great to hear you are happier in your new spot. Did you move into an apartment or moved away from Antibes completely?

It sounds like one of the things you really need to do is manage your weekly expenses vs day work vs savings - how have you found Antibes in terms of weekly living costs?

Lucy
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:05 PM

Hiya! France is very expensive we stayed the first week at the hotel Resideal (great if you can get in), just above the station in Antibes and after that moved into a flat in Juan les Pins which was very nice. YOu probably spend 2 days worth of day work on food and accommodation for one week so it can be tough. Getting used to it all now and hopefully the daywork will pay off eventually. Are you also new to the industry? Cheers!
Kiwi D
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2011 6:35 AM

Hopefully that means you've got 3 days euro in your back pocket for the mean time

I am new to the industry, although I can't even say I am in the industry yet. Originally looked at the option of going to Antibes earlier this year but at that stage all of the STCW training venues were fully booked in New Zealand and Australia unil July. I've got a few friends that are over there now and only just discovered Blue Water still has availability at the end of this month for the course there.

So I'm furiously gathering all the old info I had and doing all of the reading possible, will likely be booking flights, crew house and STCW this week and be there the end of the month... all very exciting.

Hope the other contributors to this thread are all well and settled up with work or day work at least!

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 3, 2013 6:36 PM

This may be of great help: "Super Yachting: The Beginners Guide." Just published in February 2013 and full of useful advice. Worth downloading, available on Amazon and Smashwords. Links below.

Good luck with it all!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPER-YACHTING-BEGINNERS-GUIDE-ebook/dp/B00BIHRZZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362335659&sr=8-1 

http://www.amazon.com/SUPER-YACHTING-BEGINNERS-GUIDE-ebook/dp/B00BIHRZZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362335756&sr=8-1&keywords=super+yachting 

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/287672 

Average 4 out of 5