Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Yachtmaster Offshore then Med or Med then Yachtmaster?
nzminx
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:22 AM

Hi all, My STCW95 expires in October 2011 and I plan to do my Yachtmaster Offshore around same time as doing STCW again. Having done a season in 2008 from Palma I plan to head there in May with a friend to hit it off again. My question is: having my STCW expire mid October will it make it harder for me to secure a job?..even if just for the one season? The payroll in the season will be to fund my courses. Or am I better to stay with current job do Yachtmaster and STCW in 2011 and head over in 2012?? Any advice appreciated

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:22 AM

Since when does an STCW95 expire? Last I heard there was talk about making people renew every 5 years, but that hasn't gone through yet (or has it?) and if it so, I thought it wouldn't be a requirement for several years. Anyone else know more?

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:12 AM

I get issued a new STCW form when I renew my license... don't have mine with me at the moment to see if there's an expiry on it.

Bluewater
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 10:42 AM

some STCW95 basic training certificates do expire... you should always check with your training provider before investing in the course, sometimes cheaper is not as cost effective in the long run...
chrismlewis
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:51 PM

I have not heard that before, although it is certainly true that there are better and worse training courses. I would be interested in having the STCW paragraph ref... I understand that we will have to start revalidating in a few years when the latest STCW ammendments come into force (fire fighting, first aid and sea survival anyway). As for right now the only course that has to be updated is the Medical Care Provider for Master and Medical Officer on red flag boats. I revalidated my Master's license this year doing only that.
rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:48 PM

Henning wrote:
I get issued a new STCW form when I renew my license... don't have mine with me at the moment to see if there's an expiry on it.

Henning,

My USCG MMC expires in five years from date of issue and includes a note about the simultaneous expiration of the STCW qualification under section VI/1 [Personal Survival Techniques (STCW A-VI / 1-1) · Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (STCW A-VI / 1-2) · Elementary First Aid (STCW A-VI/ 1-3)?].

Rod

natalia
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:52 AM

I went through the 2 week STCW training in my native country and my stcw95 expires after 5 years! But crew who did STCW training in Blue Water Antibes does not have expiry date on thheir document and i had been told in the BW office that the document doesnt lose validity! how is that possible?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:41 PM

The first time I did the stcw courses was in 97/98 in the merchant navi school. it was mandatory for merchant ships.

The first aid course, at the time was valid for renoval every 2 years, the other modules ( fire fighting, sea survival, etc ) needed refreshment after 5, if you were not onboard, assuming that on board you'd do drills to refresh, If  I 'm not mistaken.

Last time I did the refreshment, it's also valid for another 5 years.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 4:46 PM
STCW CODE:

The endorsement shall only be issued if all requirements of the Convention have been complied
with. The form of the endorsement used shall be that set forth in paragraph 3 of section A-I/2 of
the STCW Code:
.1 may be issued as separate documents;
.2 shall be issued by the Administration only;
.3 shall each be assigned a unique number, except that endorsements attesting the
issue of a certificate may be assigned the same number as the certificate
concerned, provided that number is unique; and
.4 shall expire as soon as the certificate endorsed expires or is withdrawn, suspended
or cancelled by the Party which issued it and, in any case, not more than five years
after their date of issue.

Yes,ALL  expires five years after their date of issue. If not, i feel something is going wrong.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 7:37 PM
STCW95 do not expire however you may need to renew them.  When you renew your certificate of competency the administration requires a proof of sea service typically 12 months of sea service within the 5 year period.  If when renew a certificate of competency you do not have this sea service then the administration will require you do do your STCW95 again.   This is on the assumption that you are doing regular emergency drills.     

Average 5 out of 5