Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Is July too Late in the Med? Going for broke...
A.L.F.
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:04 AM

Hey dockwalk,
I think this question has been asked in different ways in these forums, but none of the match my situation exactly...a friend is trying to convince me that I should not go back to graduate school and instead head to the Med in July to try and find a deckhand job. Though I am a newbie in the Superyacht business, I am not new to yachting (just never been paid for it!). I have almost 10 000nm in my log book, I have a Yachtmaster-Coastal Skipper, Powerboat II, VHF, Radar Operator, and an STCW 95. Many people on this forum have said "it is never too late to try," but I'll literally be going for broke if I do this...I will have enough money to support myself in France for 2-3 months MAX! Can anyone give me an honest assessment as to what my chances of getting a deckhand position are in early-mid July 2011? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Steve
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 11:07 AM

most boats are crewed up then. antibes full up from april on. if you went in july and stayed in antibe, the only people left would be those hoping to get a job where new crew hired didnt work out, or someone gets fired or has left a charter. My advice is, go to MB92 in barcleona. cheaper place to be, and usually yachts still being worked on close to getting out of the yard to go charter. Do some daywork, go from there. Can try your luck in antibes in july , but then again you might as well stay home and try for jobs online.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:05 PM
Dude, go to graduate school, you want to own a yacht not serve those that do. We are just glorified slaves to the rich and famous who brag up our lives to try and justify our position.....Go be rich or famous, not a slave. I actually think slaves probably worked less; but I am sure they didn't eat as well. Just my 2 cents.
A.L.F.
Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 7:47 AM

Yeah, if I was going to grad school for business or a surgical degree, then maybe I could plan on making a lot of money and owning my own, but I'm in for International Development, a job which starting wages are about 1000$ a month...not buying any yachts on that salary.

I figured that July might be a bit late, but is everything really full up as early April? If I make drastic moves I could probably be there for early June, still not a chance? Good advice on Barcelona, I'll look into that for sure. Any other places to check out? I've got friends who hit Antibes in June with no experience and just an STCW and got picked up, but I realize that this is by no means a guarantee. Frustrating, I've got the skills but the timing is killing me!

Steve
Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:53 AM

old anon is right. its a real slave job. i never worked as hard as i did as a decky on a 70 metre. i enjoyed about 6 weeks of the job out of the one year i did it and that was a big crossing from nz to europe. loads of down time. 1 charter was ok the other 2 i did were lame.17 hour days. so tired, youre delirious and months of that....7 days a week. BUT as a means to an end for saving up some $ and make sure you save (unlike many who are in it for the long haul get their monthly salary thursday all gone by sunday) Its worth it for this. Worked for me. Its really like a jail sentence. you look forward to being free. i guess those that dont feel this way are used to it. youll find alot of ex school boarders on yachts. Never tell a yacht you only plan to stay a short time. its your career, what you were born to do etc. If you do some tickets and climb up the ladder, you just might like it. i hear it gets better as you get up there. If i were you , with your skills and papers you already have, id put the word out at all the good agencies. You will get a job online. Antibes is dead in July. Some of the yachtie pubs are even closed. I took a risk with barca. flew from nz to barca arrived with 700 nz but luckily my info was good and there were alot of yachts there that needed a hand. Got 2 jobs in a day. Genoa supposedly good too. Good luck!!
Steve
Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 11:57 AM

You should go to Uni though, unless you wanna be a captain. If you need money, do some yacht dayworking. thats good coin and you dont have to sell your soul. Never think its a glamourous job. You will be a professional cleaner. Your skin will get eaten alive by the numerous chemicals you use. you will have to share a small cabin with someone who could be a total pig, youll def have to share a small living area with alot of people. you will breathe circulated aircon under incandesant lights.
Daniel Levine
Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 4:43 PM

Hi All, I trust that you are well. I am a 25 year old South African who has recently taken a big interest to yachting and possibly going to pursue it as a full time career. I have been traveling back and forth to Cape Town over the past month to complete my relevant tickets to work in this industry. I have currently got my RYA Powerboat, Competent Crew and STCW'95 tickets, and am going down to Cape Town soon to do my Day Skipper Theory and Practical as well as my Deckhand course. I am a newbie in this industry, so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Or a steer in the right direction I look forward to hearing from you. Best Regards, Daniel Levine
Henning
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 1:34 PM

Well, many years ago I was sitting in a calculus class studying Aerospace Engineering and I came to the conclusion, that was not what I wanted to do with my life. 27 years later here I am, I run a yacht, I fly, I just got my Multi Engine Seaplane ticket so I can fly the bosses plane, and I bought a Cessna 310 so I have something to fly when on vacation. I enjoy my life, and I employ engineers.  If boats are in your blood and in your heart, it's a pretty hard calling to ignore. You're close enough to your degree you need to graduate which is why I assume you are speaking of July 2011. The only time I suggest graduate school directly after a baccalaureate is when someone is on a known course. You don't sound determined. Save grad school for when you really figure out what you want to do and there is a grad school to get you there or in the best "Old Boys Network". Connections is what is highest value of what graduate level education buys you.

If you are determined to make it work, there is no "wrong time of the year". If you are willing  and able, there will always be opportunity that finds you. There is always a way, there is always something, it just may not be what you expected.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 9:53 PM
When your head says one thing and your heart says another, listen to the one that has a brain...
A.L.F.
Posted: Friday, October 8, 2010 11:49 PM

Thanks for the great responses.
I've actually been out of school for a few years, currently living in South Korea as an English teacher. The reason I'll be unavailable until June/.July is that I'll be doing an Indian Ocean crossing from Malaysia to South Africa via Maldives, Chagos, Seychelles, etc...and I will need to do my STCW 9d when I get to SA. I hava all the other qualifications, but have never gotten the STCW as it seems only really applicable to commercial yacthing, wheras my experience has always been on the pleasure/personal side of it.
Anyways, I think the best course of action is to get my acceptance to grad school and make the decision while at sea. If I decide to take the gamble and head to France, hopefully I will have made the right decision.
Keep the ideas coming.
Thanks

garyolivier
Posted: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:05 AM

Hi there. I will be doing my STCW95, Powerboat 2 in Cape Town soon and should be ready to find work in August. Will it be an advantage for me to get my Day skippers too? I take it the serason in the med will nearly be wrapped up by then? Whats the deal with finding work in the Carribean? Where dop I go etc? Any help would be apreciated

Average 0 out of 5