Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Singapore/Malaysia?
JJ
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:36 PM

Hi, We are looking to relocate to Singapore.

Has anyone had any contact with the crew market/job situation in Singapore or nearby in Malaysia?

We are just looking into all the details now, but any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks all,

JJ

Henning
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:28 PM

It'll be hard to compete against the locals.

JJ
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:06 PM

We are a 1st Mate/Engineer & Chief Stew couple. Are there any agencies out there or any that deal with the region?

junior
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:35 PM

Dont know anything about agents but Changi Sailing club was good fun for Sunday races and local contacts. http://www.csc.org.sg/onwater01.htm Superyacht meeting . http://www.asiasuperyachtconference.com/
chefff
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:46 PM

Hi, JJ,
My experience of Singapore was not brilliant. Overthere You are fully on Your own. Indo and Malay crew come in and work for scratch. I ended up feeding a crew of six with my own cash. In any occasion, stay away from everything that has to do with AsiaSuperYachts....
Luis. www.luisyachtcatering.com

MaxPower
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 5:46 AM

Hi JJ, a couple of observations ... 1. local boys expect much higher salaries than those from malaysia/thailand/indonesia/philippines. it's not necessarily the higher competence, but the existing regulations that do not grant work permits to low end crew. for captains, it's a different story. 2. locals are extremely miserly in paying for crew as the local market (& yachting culture) is still in its infancy. 3. there very few superyachts locally ... most are day cruisers and runarounds. the local cruising grounds are nothing to brag about. enthusiasts take their boats up to phuket which has probably the best cruising grounds in the world. THAT market is a developed one. 4. i agree with cheff on "stay away from everything that has to do with AsiaSuperYachts" ... hope this helps.
Nick Coombes
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:34 AM

JJ.
I am a now semi retired Superyacht Captain based out of Malaysia, but  we have offices in Singapore, as well as all over South East Asia.
 I would start by sending me your CV, as i keep a database of crew to offer to our visiting Superyachts.
 You should also look to Crew Asia (search on line), in Cebu, Philippines, as they sometimes find work for expat crew.
 There are only 3 or 4 Superyachts based in the region who hire NON Asian crew. The rest of the fleet exist with an Asian crew and expat Captain.
 If you are looking to be permanently based in Singapore/Malaysia, your chances are not great, unless you are willing to wait for a position to become available, working on a cruising yacht in the mean time.
Expanding your options into Hong Kong/Phuket would increase your chance of finding work.
 Good luck!!
 Nick Coombes

Skipper Sam
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:53 AM

You could try contacting my friend Su: contact@asiayachtcrew.com she has a crew agency based in Thailand.  And in Phuket there are a couple of agents who might be able to help you e.g. Yacht Solutions or SEAL (google them).

You have to remember though that compared with the Med and the Caribbean, there are very few superyachts operating in the area, and yes, as others have said, there are a lot of locals looking for work and they cook great thai/asian food and work for a lot less than Med/Caribbean wages.

The situation is changing slowly as the Chinese cotton onto the idea of owning a superyacht, but they do tend to get seasick very easily and there are stories of yachts being ordered without engines (to sit in a marina all the time)!!

Nick Coombes
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:55 AM

forget Asia Yacht Services, Yacht Solutions or seal.
Contact Asia Pacific Superyachts  -  www.asia-pacific-superyachts.com.
They have more offices with more experienced staff than all the rest combined.
They are also the only agency in the region involved with the AYSS, who only allow the very best companies to join their association.
 Don't have to take my word for it (although i have run yachts in the region for 15 years), check out their website and read the testimonials from other crew, or ask ANYONE who has been there.

MaxPower
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:11 AM

are these guys different from AsiaSuperYachts?
Nick Coombes
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:23 AM

YES.
There are a few groups in the region, but none of them come close to Asia Pacific Supryachts.
They have been operating for over 10 years, and currently handle 95% of all Superyacht traffic through the region.
I have personally used their services for the last 9 years, while running Superyachts throughout South East Asia.

Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:48 PM

We have used Asia Pacific Super Yachts in Indonesia for 3 years.
They are great. Take much of the pain out of the many pitfalls we have encountered in dealing with cruising Indonesia. The Captains and crews from other Asian countries using Asia Pacific Superyachts in those areas also speak highly of their professionalism and service.

chefff
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 2:45 PM

Thanks, Max, for sharing the same opinion, probably based on same experiences. Although all please note that AsiaSuperYachts I mentioned does NOT have anything to do with neighter SEAL nor AsiaPacificSuperyachts.
Further on I as well  have chosen Phuket Thailand as a base for the Pacific season, not only for better contract opportunities but as well for the cheaper living while waiting for a job. And in case something turns up in Sin, Tiger Airways flies you in for scratch.

MaxPower
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:37 PM

no worries mate. i call it the way i see it. & yeah, phuket-singapore on a budget flight is like SGD $80 or lower ...
Srinivasan
Posted: Saturday, October 2, 2010 7:58 AM

You will find crew from INDIA & Philiphens as you will be near from Singapore...........
Brett
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:45 PM

I am captain on a yacht that is relocating to the area, I would like to know if anyone can recommend which guide books are the best and any recommendations would be appreciated for the area. Thank you
Henning
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:31 AM

In Singapore the best place to stay is Raffles. Most everything in the region is pretty simple except Indonesia; Indonesia makes everything difficult. Marina Batavia in Jakarta isn't bad either, except that it's in Jakarta which is a god awfully filthy place with black skies.

Kenton the Deckie
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 7:39 AM

Is the info in this topic still fairly current, have just moved to the region, looking at options.  Thanks

Average 0 out of 5