Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Just that Getting Started
PBOC
Posted: Sunday, September 5, 2010 9:38 PM

Hi,
Sailing is something I have been doing as a hobby since I was 12. Originally on dinghys but over the last 8 years I have been racing, doing day trips, and longer passages on keelboats 30-40ft. I lost my job as an architect when my company went into liquidation in November last. Since then I have been trying to figure out what to do. Architecture everywhere is a struggle at the moment... Sailing and achieving my qualifications was something I thought I would do later in  life.. a luxury.. until I met someone who works on superyachts and then a new idea began to form... I discovered I could sail the oceans and get paid!!!
Since then (about a month ago) I have been researching how to go about it and now hear I am. I got my powerboat level  cert of international competancy. I will have my STCW and ENG 1 by the end of the month. I have a number of questions. I don't think that I will be fully available to leave until Nov/Dec and as that is so close to Chrsitmas I think that Jan is the time that I will be leaving to fully commit to finding a position.
  • I am hoping for work as a deckhand. I am 35 and wonder will this be an issue? I am an active person involved in sports so fitness is not an issue. I am also quite good at DIY inc much professional experience in Painting. I am also a good cook/ hostess, having experience in waitressing, silver spoon, bar work, chamber maid. I can pretty much put my hand to most jobs.
  • Before Jan planning a 2 week trip to walk the marinas and get a feel for things. Antibes or Palma? or anywhere else
  • Where to plan to go in January? Planned on going to Fort Lauderdale in Jan but just realise that I won't be able to work there even on non-USA boats. Is this true?
  • Thninking of doing the Yachtmaster Coastal and theory is is worthwhile in terms of job oportunities? A previous captain indicated that once I was willing to work to get the basic requirements ie ENG and STCW that I should just get to the marinas.
  • Any other advice would be greatly apreciated.
To finish, I love being on the water and to date hate when the trips end...The idea of a period of time on the water thrills me.

Thanks again,

PBOC

rodsteel
Posted: Monday, September 6, 2010 5:58 PM

PBOC,

If you haven't found it, the answers to all your questions are here (the thread topic you are currently posted in - some very interesting reading too )

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=topics&f=520

and here:

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=topics&f=27044

Good Luck,

Rod

PBOC
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:06 AM

Thanks for that, I have found a few things and I need to get myself to one of the Marinas as soon as I can... Looking forward to it.

Average 0 out of 5