Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Overindulgence vs. social responsibility
Crew Confessor
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 2:37 PM

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 12:32 AM
Festive season & the binge drinker - Next time I find a drunk crew member sleeping outside or see cremates doing stupid and over the top things I will take photo's and video so they can experience the embarrassment I did when they went too far. - What is it about some crew and drinking? Certain people just don’t seem to know their limits when it comes to booze and I am tired of the drama it creates. Seeing these people repeat the same mistakes when they drink themselves stupid bothers me and has me working extra to cover them the next day. Ignorant behavior whenever there’s drinking involved, vomiting, verbal diarrhea, aggressive acts, tears, lost cell phones, wallets and identification. - I would like to see less drinking and more social responsibility on yachts, am I alone on this?????
Henning
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:39 PM

No, you're not alone. I don't much worry about it though, I've found that this stuff will eventually sort itself out. I don't typically let people slack off because they have a hangover, and if they do it frequently and are annoying drunks to boot, hangover days are days spent chipping paint in the bilge with a needle gun or some other similar hateful task. Eventually they get the hint or they quit, either way, problem solved.

heevahova
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:58 PM

would like to see less drinking and more social responsibility on yachts, am I alone on this????? Well, you may not be alone , however you are definitely a minority. That said I've been in a number of positions which limit the use of alcohol due to the fact that you are on duty. Usually when someone is a heavy drinker there are other issues which Henning wrote "sort themselves out" after your doing this for ten or more years you notice not so many of the deushbags make it in the long run. Keep your head up and take those pictures , one may be worth allot of money someday
AllyJ
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:22 AM

Sadly, I don't think this situation limited to yachting. Social responsibility is something not taken seriously generally. It goes back to that old question - am I my brother's/sister's keeper? On the subject of alcohol in this context it's also my opinion, that operating with a hangover can be equally as dangerous as operating drunk. We were once hit by a boat in English Harbour at 7-30 in the morning and you could smell the alcohol on the captain across the water between the two boats!!! If a crewmember - or captain for that matter is binge drinking on a regular basis it should not go unaddressed. Food for some serious thought... A xoxoxo
tubby
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:11 PM

what is the big surprise? I am just tired of the excuses made for the offending crewmembers. [Edited by moderator] all of them. and by the way, screw social responibility, how about professional responsibility to their guests owners and fellow crew? Social responsibilty is limitless in its scope and more often than not variable with where you are and with whom you are traveling, professional responsibility is far more attainable for most. Usually it is farely simple,  don't do anything that can get you arrested, don't puke in your cabin, don't nude up with the stew (mate) in the owner's jacuzzi, and couples: don't even think about taking the captains cabin when he is off on leave.

Capt Kaj
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 9:36 AM

For me it is pretty simple really, set the ground rules and if they are broken then get rid of the offender which I have often done over the years. They don´t really get the hint though, booze is endemic in this industry and the offenders go from yacht to yacht until they find like minded drinkers and that is often the Captain who also has the same habit. Sadly no matter how big the yacht, there is usually one crew member at least that persists in the booze habit that will always let you and themselves down, they just can´t help themselves!

What we need is for more Captains to not drop their guard and keep up the level of professionalism in this industry, as we know, it should come from the top but often doesn´t. Also other crew members, such as Mates, Chief Stew´s etc need to step upto the plate and also police their crew members and cabin mates, after all, they are in positions of responsibility, however this is hard when they might well be the perpitrators in the scheme of things. There are still way too many crew out there who indulge way too much in alcohol.

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 4:40 PM
Capt Kaj you are absoltely correct, if the people leading the crew are fall down drunks profesional standards go out the window. Whenever I walk around a marina I take note of who is doing what and which boats show themselves well. There is one particularly large yacht in the marina, which regulalry forgets to riase and lower the ensign, turn lights on and off, never keep lines and fenders in order. How or why this occurs is unknown to me, other than the fact it always occurs after charters, working hard for a few weeks or months is no excuse to drop standards or allow crew to carry on like wild animals.
Capt Kaj
Posted: Tuesday, January 4, 2011 3:44 PM

Anon. Yes it doesn´t take much to find a yacht not being steered in the right direction. Actually you are right, marinas are a great place to spot a poorly run operation in season or out. I also find yacht shows such as Monaco and Genova a good place to see who has their yacht sorted, or not as the case may be. It is easy to see, check out crew smoking on the dock in full dress uniform or on the side decks and chucking the butts into the port, check out the crew that walk around with their hands in their pockets, sit on the capping rail, spitting over the capping rail to name a few.

You would have thought that if any yacht Captain was going to have it sorted it would be when the yacht is in full public show at an event such as the prestigious Monaco or Genova gathering. Ill-discipline then flows on down to that very same yacht chartering, the same traits will naturally follow. You can always blame the crew which is a valid route, but the buck stops at the old man´s door ultimately. A great crew will usually mimmick the Captains management and running of the operation.

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 3:54 AM
Well, speaking from the commercial world aspect... Commercial mariners are VERY socially responsible. Virtually the entire commercial industry (except fishing) has a Zero Tolerance policy for drug and alcohol use ONBOARD, and random drug testing to prevent drug use AT ANY TIME... on the ship OR home on vacation. The insurance companies have seen to that, and honestly, rightly so. Case in point: I spent last summer helping plug the leaking oil well at MC-252 caused by BP's barely mitigated corporate greed. As everyone in the Gulf of Mexico oil industry knows, every one of the surviving mariners on the Horizon was able to pass a drug and alcohol screening immediately after the disaster. Why? Because everyone in the industry is "on board" with the idea of Zero Tolerance. That's right, you cannot even smoke pot on your time at home on vacation as many companies have a drug screen for mariners reporting to a ship. Pull into port and leave the ship to get a few drinks in you? Negative! Most companies have on-the-spot alcohol test kits that measure the alcohol in your saliva. My point being that in the commercial world danger ABOUNDS, even when you do most everything correctly. Ships are dangerous places. Yes, even yachts too, as we all know! I have noticed that the professional documentation requirements are much higher (licensure, stcw, TWIC, etc) for commercial mariners, and the pay is easily twice as much as the yacht industry also. An Unlimited HP/Tonnage Oceans Chief of Motorships can expect to make US$750 to US$850 A DAY on a large drillship, MODU, SubSea Construction Vessel, or FPSO. The youngest Chief Engineer I have seen on a large ship was 29 years old, with a degree from a maritime school. Most large ship Chief Engineers are well into thier 30's when they get fitted for a Chief's Chair for the first time. Yacht owners want crew that are young, hot, and willing to work cheaper than commercial mariners... ok... well, what else does the typical yacht job offer? A GREAT work environment and GREAT exotic ports o'call in the company of other mostly young hot crew. Very powerful incentives for a young person just discovering the world around them. But by definition, "young and hot" also includes thier personalities as well... "Unfortunately, youth is wasted on the young". Most commercial mariners I know spent thier 18-24 years of age in a maritime academy or in one of the Navies of the world. Both great places for people in that age group because they tend to sometimes need... babysitting... for a few years. I certainly did when I was that age! NOT ALL younger mariners/crew need this babysitting, but many do. My answer? The Captain (and other matured personalities of any age) might consider trying to change the ingrained culture on thier particular ship. Easy? No. Are you your brother's keeper? I think... NO! BUT... on a ship things are different; thier performace now effects your livlihood and more importantly, everyone's personal safety AS WELL AS the safety of the guests and other non-crew that may be aboard for any number of reasons. If you have tried all the time honored methods of guiding/mentoring/developing a crew member (of any age!) (Leading by example, couseling informally and formally, etc) and it just does not seem to be working, well, maybe it is time to send that crew member back ashore with an appropriate reference... after taking a close look once again at your own personal standards. As Captain Kaj said in a previous post, the buck stops at the Captains door. YES IT DOES! Thanks for listening to my two cents worth!

Average 0 out of 5