Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
I Phones & other electronic toys waste time
Septic tank
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:17 AM

I Phones, I Pads, I Touches etc are everywhere on my boat, it seems no crew member can get through the working day without playing with their electronic toys. On deck, in the engine room, in the bridge and laundry room these distractions are everywhere. The dam I Phone rings and the world stops, you want to leave port, return to port and youhave to fill out an electronic check list on the dam I Phone. The stupidity of this is people used to work without all this crapp and now we play, fiddle and tinker with these dam toys 24/7, introduced them to the workplace and now need them to do our jobs, communicate and are forever going to have external noise ruin our concentration, waste our time and force us to conform to big brother. If we turned all these toys off, focused and performed our jobs correctly we probably would get our daily duties done two hours faster. I guess my point is the I Phone and other gadgets are tools for some crew, but for the majority of crew they should disconnect during work hours, leave the toys in the cabin and work without these distractions. The new generation of yachtie needs entertainment 24/ and would probably quit if the V SAT went down and the WiFi 802 signal stopped. I am waiting for the day a boats crashes or a plane falls fro the sky because some nut job was updating their Facebook account.
simongb-N2
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:59 PM

Well said, now can we hear from some crew that have feelings about this.

Is it OK in your book to chat to someone on the phone while you are on anchor watch.

Check your facebook/myspace etc while on duty.

Is this acceptable in the eyes of any Captain or owner?  

Should personal phone use be allowed when on duty? 

Can we really multitask that well ?

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 4:00 PM
Too true.
As any statistics will tell you also more and more seamen are falling victim to over reliance on electronic gizmos.  We can have all the electronic chart plotters and cameras and all manner of high tech gears but more than ever mishaps are occuring on the ocean in greater numbers.  This is also due to a higher number of vessels on the sea but keeping things simple and adhering to tried and true practices and a watchful lookout must be never understated.

Iphones and the such is changing the way we all communicate and also changing behavior between peers.  before we had said gizmos we also had more commitment.  If I was waiting for a friend at the pub and he or she was five, ten minutes late, no sweat.   Now that same person may text at the last minute and reneg or just get there later as opposed to trying harder to make it.  Then at the pub,  I sit speaking with a person and mid conversation, oh phone rings or frog croaks and hello, without as much as an 'excuse me' friend is now off on another tangent for who knows how long.

We are quick to forget that we got on fine, probably better before all these gadgets (whilst all the while lining vodaphones pockets to the tune of millions).  But how will I meet my friends at the Muse concert???    Like your Mum meet her friends all those years ago at woodstock, beside the red first aid tent at 12.45pm!

As for phones at work.  Tough call with our new found reliance on them.  Can't live with them, can't live without. 

Colin
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 5:02 PM

You are the “boss” switch them off, off duty personal use only.

Use a password to restrict access and if they don't play ball don't give them access.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:10 PM
"At 0030 the 2/O sent the lookout down below to stand-by in the crew mess. The lookout
understood this to mean he could get some rest so, after eating some food, he went to his
cabin and was asleep by approximately 0100.

"After the lookout left the bridge, the 2/O became distracted, initially by the VHF and
subsequently by sending text messages using his mobile telephone. The ship’s position was
roughly checked on one occasion, as the 2/O walked passed the electronic chart display. At
that time there was still some distance to run until the next planned alteration of course. It is
claimed the text messaging became all engrossing, resulting in the planned course alteration
at 0115 being missed, and consequently the ship grounded 32 minutes later at 0147."

MAIB's report into the grounding of the the UK registered container vessel Berit, in the Baltic Sea, Denmark, 2006

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Berit.pdf

Nuff Said

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:38 PM
With 64 posts on Dock Walk What would you do if the VSAT was turned off ???? Careful throwing rocks from that glass Bridge.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:47 PM
I am the owner of a land based technology company. We use and develope all the latest gadgets and toys for the marine industry all the time. With that said, we still have to implement a no abuse of company or personal electronic devices policy. We are paying our employees to work not to text, talk and tweet online all day. On break and lunch no problem. You may have to remind everyone it is a job and that certain electronics on vessels are tools first and that if they abuse the use of these or their own personal electronics during working hours than they may loose the privelege of using them at all.
Stefan06
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:51 PM

It is the same discussion like about Facebook! The "Smartphones" are not dangerous or wasting Time, it depends how you use it. At first the Boat, than yourself, than the outer World. You don't have to answer each E-Mail immediately. Don't forget to live. Have a great Summer. Where ever you are.
JOHN CARLISLE
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:46 PM

Dear Septic, It's not the IPhone, IPad or _____(name your device) that's accountable for this irritation of yours. If I am wrong in this statement, then let's blame the steering jog or the GPS transponder for running yachts aground. It's the crew using their working hours to ______(anything but work) that need to be held to the fire and you as their boss are there (in one of your many purposes) for this reason. The owner pays you for many reasons, one being to correct this known potential waste of their money. If crew knows, from you and without ambiguity, that misuse of their work hours will negatively impact their employment status, they are far less likely to misuse their work hours. This all comes from the top. Painful but true. Great sailing and good success to you! Signed, Learned the hard way! Strong supporter of Tough Love.
JOHN CARLISLE
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:54 PM

P.S. P.S. Septic, Btw - I am certainly not critiquing you. I've done A LOT wrong and in so doing learned better ways to do things Thus the 'Learning the hard way' sign out. Just hoping to share some wealth from the self abused side - lol! I wish us all a better Fall season and a better industry through detailed attentive management. John
junior
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:38 PM

Its not that electronic gizmo's waste time, even before gizmos we found ways to skive and waste time. The problem with gizmos is that they waste your brain. Traditionally when you wanted to hide out somewhere and skive , you grabbed a book and read to pass the time. Gizmo's have dumbed down modern crew. Crew no longer read. Ive got hundreds of great books, relevant books, on the yacht and they just collect dust . Ive not seen a crew read the newspaper or a weekly magazine in years. I can remember times on long cruises when crew were so desperate for stimulation that they would actually read the installation, operation manuals for shipboard equipment. Ever seen Modern crew read the operators manuals ????? Modern Gizmo Crew have dumbed down. Just last week I was anchored next to a big motoryacht and heard a yell from the wheelhouse. It was an old friend of mine from way back. He zipped over to the yacht in the tender with 2 stewardess's and we cruised into the village for a sundowner. At the table, as Jeff and I gabbed away, the two stewardess's sat silent, twiddling their hair with a finger, while diddling on Iphones. All of a sudden one blurted out...Whats the name of this island ? I guess so she could tell her facebook friends where she was..... Dumbed down or what.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:20 AM
Or she was bored stiff listening to a couple of old ba***rds telling stories. I would be and I'm old too.

Average 5 out of 5