Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Double Standard?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:56 PM

What's your location?

I hate being check up on, nevertheless I completely understand why department heads need to monitor what people are doning and where they are because some people will slack off and go hide if they can.

In the meantime hardworking crew are left to carry the weight of less motivated crew members that bugger off and play on theire computers, iphones, and play stations.

I often think about the double standard that occurs when one crew member is always slacking off and screwing up, because the slacker is expected to be a slacker screw up 24/7 therefore nobody every relies on them do perform responsible tasks.

Whereas the keen, motivated and competent crew member is given more and more to do.

When a good crew member occationally screws up there is much more trouble for them, because their supervisor is dissapointed with their failure to complete the task and will comes down on them hard.

It's the kinda double standard that works itself out in te long run, because the screw up crew member is expected to mess up and is rarely dealt with because people can't be bothered dealing with them and these slackers never really get any further in their careers and their brown nosing and back stabbing always catches up with them.

I take my mistakes and learn from them and appreciate being given extra responsibility because I know people do notice my good work. Nevertheless it is still a bitter pill to swollow when half-wit crew float along and get the same pay as me and are allowed to do the absolute minimum and get away with it, take advantage of other crew during a busy charter season.

At the end of the day good crew win out, progress and make something out of themselves.

Am I alone with thinking like this about slacker crew that disappear when there is work to be done and suddenly arrive when the charter tips are being handed out.

Henning
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 3:22 AM

Anonymous wrote:

It's the kinda double standard that works itself out in the long run, because the screw up crew member is expected to mess up and is rarely dealt with because people can't be bothered dealing with them and these slackers never really get any further in their careers and their brown nosing and back stabbing always catches up with them.

At the end of the day good crew win out, progress and make something out of themselves.

Am I alone with thinking like this about slacker crew that disappear when there is work to be done and suddenly arrive when the charter tips are being handed out.

No you're not alone, but as you noticed, it pretty much works itself out in the end so don't sweat the small stuff. If I correct someone, I expect them to be around a while and to advance. If I don't correct someone, I have given up on them and they are only short term. Remember, even delivering a rebuke requires an effort. I don't waste effort.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 9:28 PM
Like Henning says.  Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

simongb-N2
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 11:36 PM

Normal 0 0 1 303 1730 Simon & Co 14 3 2124 10.2006 0 0 0 Well first of all way to go putting it out there, even if it is an ANON post. The next step is to be a voice aboard. Candor, Yes, most likely an ugly word for a bad leader, but to a good leader it is refreshing. While I agree with Henning that you should not sweat the small stuff, it is many times a lot of small stuff that leads to be a big pile of S a bottleneck, and problems. Your moral is obviously the start of the pile.

So while I agree don’t sweat it, I would say don’t ignore it either. You are part of a system as is Mr Slacker. If you only focus on your own position and say nothing other than here, what sense of responsibility for results produced do you have when all positions aboard interact? Moreover when results are disappointing, it can be difficult to know why?  All you can do is to assume someone else screwed up.

You have a voice, make it heard. Good leaders know that they are only as good as the interaction of the parts of the system that they lead. Don’t get caught in bounded rationality, making decision on just the information you have, Mr slacker slacking!  You are missing the more distant parts of the system others have. You need to think of the system as a whole. Whether it is you, the engineer or Mr Slacker slacking, these are all important to the system and a problem.

If the Captain knows about Mr Slacker fine, but why is he still there? If he does not, then why wait for a problem to happen and miss this opportunity to solve the problem. Being the best at what you do is all about learning. You are part of a team, a system, and it is only as good as the interaction of its parts.

You can do nothing, risk nothing and change nothing, or grow, learn and lead with you own mental model of hard work candor and honesty and change the system for the better.
You have already taken a bit of risk by posting here so you are of to a good start. Keep it up, figure a way to get this known, the worse thing can be that you will no longer have to deal with Mr slacker or the poor leader that is happy to have M Slacker around.
Fair winds and safe sailing- N2

14Freedom
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:03 AM

Hey All... I'm taking this personally...God, I crack myself up sometimes! ATB- The Slacker Explorer sucks, go with Mozilla
Henning
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 5:33 AM

simongb-N2 wrote:

If the Captain knows about Mr Slacker fine, but why is he still there?

Because good crew is hard to find that's why. Sometimes I need a body that can fill "X" role. While their true position entails much more, I NEED only "X" for right now. If they can fulfill "X" I keep them until I can find "good crew". If I get rid of them for slacking on duties "Y" and "Z", I may end up with someone who can't even do "X". Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Only a small percentage of the people working are actually fully competent at their job much less willing to go above and beyond (that goes for captains and managers as well).

Average 0 out of 5