Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Dive Master vs Instructor
timm
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:22 PM

hi guys i am a padi dive master currently working on a yacht and wondering if it would be worth me going through my instructors course. do many yachts look to employ instructors only or is being a dive master usually enough??
Arthur
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:00 PM

Hi Tim,
I am a Divemaster too and I was a Dive Instructor PADI few years ago. The syllabi to get the instructor is the same as the dive master the only difference is that to be an instructor you have to pay a fee (last time was around 1000 euro plus a percentage on the course you will provide plus you will have to buy books, logs book etc.. from PADI !). Will be like to be part of a company, PADI will allow you to issue certificates only if you pay every year the fee! Is a business.To join as an instructor worth only if you will work in a diving centre or if you are onboard a dive purpuse built yacht. I am a captain and dive master is enough to cope with on board equipment and guests requests.

Henning
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 12:55 AM

What??? I don't know where you did your PADI IDC, but it is NOTHING like the Divemaster course if run correctly. As fare as the money part goes, well yeah, that's what PADI stands for, Put Another Dollar In, not that any of the other certification agencies are any different. The on going costs of certifying students is passed on to the students. If you have an Instructors card and a Divemaster card yoy are whichever you have paid your current insurance on. If you haven't paid the insurance for either this year, you are neither.

Is it worth it to get an instructors rating for working on yachts.....maybe, heck, you may get one tip that pays for your cost of certification. It depends on the boat you are working on and who happens to charter it. It's not a bad thing to be able to offer from the boat's business standpoint, might be the deciding factor between 2 nearly equal boats.

timm
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 4:48 PM

yea ok then. the boat i currently work on is private and does a small amount of diving. i was thinking more if i moved onto a charter boat if it would be a good idea to get. i spose if charter guests are wanting to go diving the chances are that they will already heave there ticket and be ready to jump straight into the water. its sort of a toss up between doing my idc or oow
Henning
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 5:05 PM

timm wrote:
yea ok then. the boat i currently work on is private and does a small amount of diving. i was thinking more if i moved onto a charter boat if it would be a good idea to get. i spose if charter guests are wanting to go diving the chances are that they will already heave there ticket and be ready to jump straight into the water. its sort of a toss up between doing my idc or oow

Unless you are looking at working for Peter Hughes or Aggressor Fleet, there is no toss up what so ever. The OOW will make you more money by far over a Dive Instructor rating.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 5:16 PM

Arthur, might want to recheck your facts there. A DM cannot teach and needs to through a 10 day to 2 week course followed by 2 days of oral, in water and theory exams. I have found that a lot of people think a DM is higher than an instructor..... sorely mistaken. A DM only needs 60 dives, an instructor needs at least 100.

Tim, I worked for Peter Hughes...... OOW son, OOW.

Charter guests who charter us and want to dive go with local operators, not us crew.

just my .02

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:18 AM
As a former liveaboard Diveinstructor/captain. I can honestly tell you that your money will be better spent on your OOW, I have never needed my dive instructor rating in yachting yet. Divemaster yes.
timm
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 4:36 PM

ok cheers for all the info guys
aeronautic1
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:29 PM

The only thing you need to know is that, diver's may do it deeper, but only sailors get blown offshore!

Spend your money on the OOW.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 7, 2010 4:54 PM
You may also find that most charter boats now do not offer diving due to the high insurance premium it requires to do this and it is a major liability. Most these days just hire a local dive company to come to the yacht and pick up the people and let them do what they do best with them and release all liabilty costs.

Average 0 out of 5