Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Advice on current jobs in France
katie-douglas
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:21 PM

Hi, My partner and I are going to be in Antibes from next week walking the docks (yes, we know it will be difficult to find work as a couple but our fingers are crossed!) and just wandering if anyone knows whether there are many jobs going around this time considering the season has already began? Any tips/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Katie.
Meesa Egypt
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:56 PM
Hi Katie , send your CV to : info@meesaegypt.com
you can find Meesa  www.meesayachts.com  in the crew report magazine july issue page 5 . 
its Crewing Agency and Suez canal yacht agent .
Kind regards
Meesa Egypt

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 3:19 PM
What can you offer an employer? If your a Chief Engineer and a Chef I would imagine your chances of getting a job are very high, otherwise I'd be prepared to work apart for a time before you can find a couples job.
Thomas Shipton
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 5:53 PM

Hi Katie, I just want to wish you both luck! Don't give up and stick together! Working on different boats is sooooo hard. I truly underestimated the pressure it would put on my relationship. Needless to say my status is now single on my CV. Of course you can be luck, and i know a few that have been. Generally your best bet is to both get on boats that are "couple friendly" earn the respect of your crew and hope that a position becomes available. Again i wish you both the best of luck!
Salvador
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 7:04 PM

Hi!

I'm a single and I see a lot of search for couple positions... allthough in smaller boats, to 28m, sometimes I even try to get a working partner on the momment!!!

I just can't count on the other part professionalism, as I 'm used to count on myself! Maybe one day, when established I get a partner  !!!

good luck

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:27 PM
We are looking for an experienced Captain & Stew/Cook couple for a busy 30m+ M/Y. Ideal Captain candidate will have experience on similar sized Yachts. Immediate start. Permanent position. Salary to be discussed with management. Cruising Med & Caribbean. If interested please email an updated copy of your CV with references to positions@cosmo-crew.com
Henning
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 5:09 PM

Either find a team job or write off the relationship if either of you is serious about working in the industry, because it won't work out.

Arthur
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 9:22 PM

Hi Katie
First> try to visit crew agencies in the morning (the most are open for crew interviews only from 9 to 12) and do dockwalk in the afternoon.
Second> do not dockwalk or agencies in Antibes only there are so many marinas in south france, just have a look using google map if you do not have an almanac ... I got my last contract in an agency in Monaco...in Antibes there are to many people looking for the same thing.
Three> do not write "couple" on your resume, if you will find a couple position will be a plus but focus on the job first and do not dream on to much on spending a summer together while working. If you are working on separate boat actually your love will last forever ... will be no chance of fight!
Four> I do not know your qualifications and experiences but if you are Captain and Stew there are a lot of seasonal jobs waiting for you on a 25 to 30 mt. Or as they wrote Eng / Stew on a bigger units.
But if you are going to Antibes in July means that you are knew to the business so consider any position DO NOT CHOOSE, accept the first offer, in 2 months the summer (Med) season will be over.

all the best and good luck

Capt Kaj
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 4:39 PM

Forget the couples gig, too many start out with looking for a couples position and turn down jobs hanging out for the couples opportunities. That is unless you are both experienced and in roles that are sought after, if not, and you are looking for entry level jobs with no experience ie deckhand and stew, then your chances are slim, It was tough enough when there were jobs available before the recession hit. If you go to crew agencies and tell them you are looking for individual jobs you will pay dividends, however if you guys have recently hooked up, forget the couples positions.

It is actually not a bad time to look because by now crew will have shown their true colours good or bad, crew are always turning over especially when they are under pressure and can´t come up with the goods. After all, now is the best test all year!

Good luck, it is hard out there but you have to start somewhere, I did 16 years ago in Antibes!

Capt Kaj

rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:54 PM

Katie (if you are still around ;o)),

Take a look at today's Dockwalk jobs board.

"Description: 170' Motor yacht looking for a mate/stewardess team"

Rod

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:47 PM
I understand that certain boats have had negative experiences with regards to couples, but when you are an experienced, well balanced couple, it makes it a hard pill to swallow when you find an amazing post and at the bottom they have posted NO COUPLES. We are experienced, stable couple, but it seems the industry just wants singles. How has an asset become something frowned at?
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 8:13 PM
To maintain a relationship you need to work as a couple, having said that to allow your relationship to grow you need to be prepared to work apart. Every couple will have a dominant partner because they have the better job and this is the Achilles heel of love on boats
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:03 AM
It could be that couples arouse jealousy  amongst the 'bat boys',  who know the couples  are having great sex  every night.  Footballers are   supposed to refrain from sex    before a match, so they are not  tired out - maybe couples are always too weary and pie-eyed with satisfaction  to do a good job.....  or :- canoodling, public displays of affection  "hun-talk"     etc etc   Call it  whatever you like.  It's all a bit close quarters  - excuse the pun - for this,   and owners don't like to see it.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:07 AM
That's just plain negative.

My husband and I have been working in the industry for years, sometimes we are lucky enough to find a boat together and sometimes we have to work apart.

Being apart is difficult I have to admit but with modern technology the way it is, phones, skype, email, video calls etc. its not impossible.

My husband and I have gone MONTHS (over 6!!!) without seeing each other and when we do see each other again its wonderful and makes it all worth while.

My advice would be to make a plan/timeline.

1) Try and find work together but set yourselves a time frame.
2) If you don't find work together get a position that will help you gain experience and advance your career.
3) The higher up you go, the easier it should get to find a couples job.

Also, if you are on a good boat your partner might be able to join at a later date if the position they are seeking becomes vacant, it happens all the time.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 3:19 PM
My partner and I did our first season last year apart and although it was difficult we did become stronger because of it. This year we are working as a chef and sole stew team and we are doing really well, we both help out in each others sections if one is under the pump and compliment each other nicely. We are not an annoying couple and PDA is a no go! I don't understand why the industry is dark on couples either.. Happy crew means happy guests

Average 0 out of 5