Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Take my job Chief
Skilled Engineers
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:47 PM

Where are the qualified and competent engineers?_______I have a new job and am looking for a qualified, competent and hands on engineer with a Y3 to take over from me._____The yachts in great shape and about to do some charters._________Can anyone recommend a good guy for the job, you get your own cabin, a second engineer and an opportunity to step up in boat size next year.________I’ve advertized for the job in the past weeks and am struggling to find my replacement. _______All the dirty work is done and I am ready to handover so I can take my career up a notch with my new job._____The ideal candidate will be a sober, self starter that is prepared to work and grow with the program.
Salvador
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:11 PM

Sometimes I wish I had done my Y3...

I've got a merchant navi level III Engineering course and 20m boat eng experience+tenders experience... let me guess, not what you are looking for? obviously,  anyway, I'd be glad to take formation and upgrade if the boat schedulle allows! seriously\

salvadorat@gmail.com   

BIGYELLOWDUMPERTRUCK
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 11:21 PM

What size of boat is it. I have a y2
yasenpochev
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 10:49 AM

Let me tell you the answer - I'm struggling for 4 years now to break into the industry and the main reason I find is the first responders in the crew agencies. These are some girls, who have no clue about certification and seamanship. I am 2/E with 7 years at sea, 4 of which in the cruise industry as 2/E and 1/E and after submiting all my papers I am often asked if I can work on ships with my documents. I have also witnessed on a number of occasions the attitude and attention some young guys with no qualification get in the offices just because they are from Australia or New Zealand for example. On the contratry - I was told that my certification is very high (2/E Unlimited) but still I don't have experience and it is hard to enter the sector. How can I get experience if everyone says I don't have one? On top of everything my nationality (Bulgarian) is not from the most attractive ones in the market, which I think is another reason to be ignored. Right now I'm 2/E on the biggest cruise ship in the world - Oasis of the Seas, I'll get my ENG1 in a week and my UK CeC in a month, hoping that it will boost my chances on the open market. I've never changed a job because of incompetency or bad performance, just the opposite, I'm always upgrading to better contract conditions. So, here is the answer to your questions - there are serious, reliable, motivated and qualified engineers out there, but often they are not recognized and given the chance. That is where the role of a good agency or recruiter comes into play - to be able to distinguish what person is sitting across the table. It is one thing to recruit a stewardess and completely different to recruit an engineer. Best regards, Yasen
junior
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 12:16 PM

Tough for you guys. I meet a few Bulgarians on the yachts. Keep a sharp lookout for European flag charter yachts and pay attention to the big refit yards in places like Palma de Mallorca. Bulgarian run contractor in STP " BulTec " I believe is the name. very good reputation, they handle all the big shafting jobs. They speak your language and know the scene.... Might be a good contact for you.

Average 5 out of 5