Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What is the best way to get around visa issues for southafrican nationals?
llanitojacks
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:14 AM

Good Afternoon,

I am currently working as a mate on a sailing yacht and we have recently taken on a South African national as crew.
She currently has a Schengen Visa which only has 30 days left on it. Luckily we have come to Turkey so it is on hold at the moment but we will heading back to the Europe for some more charters and boss trips which will last over 30 days.
I have tried to make sense of the visa issue but after a million calls to embassys and resurch on the internet I have hit a brick wall and apart from sending her some to 'possibly' get an extension on the visa I cant find any other options.
She is a great team member and I really want to solve this issue and I know there are many SA nationals working out there so there must be a way!

Please if anyone has any advice on ways to get round this visa problem (short of marrying her off to some italian stallion!) We would be very greatful for any advice.

Thank you

Yours scincerely

B.T.Jackson

JACO
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:13 PM

BEING SOUTH AFRICAN I KNOW THAT THE SHENGEN IS A TRUE PAIN IN THE ARSE, BUT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM FIRSTLY YOU HAVE TO GET A SEAMANS BOOK SO YOUR TIME ONBOARD A VESSEL CAN BE RECORDED (NATIONALITY OF BOOK DOES NOT MATTER) SECONDLY UNDERSTAND YOUR VISA, MOST VISA'S ALLOW YOU TO BE IN A SHENGEN TERRITORY FOR 90 DAYS WITHIN A SPECIFIC PERIOD (3, 6 OR 12 MONTHS). VISA NEEDS TO BE MULTIPLE ENTRY. IF YOUR SPECIFIED PERIOD HAS EXPIRED (EG 28 JUNE 2009 - 27 JUNE 2010) YOU HAVE TO BE OUT OF THE SHENGEN TERRITORY REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE USED UP YOUR NINETY DAYS OR NOT. YOUR SHENGEN THEN HAS TO BE RENEWED IN SOUTH AFRICA (I MIGHT BE WRONG HERE, BUT I DO NOT KNOW OF ANY OTHER WAY OF RENEWING YOUR SHENGEN OUT OF SA, EXTENDING YOUR SHENGEN IS A MYTH). WITH REGARDS TO THE 90 DAYS, AS LONG AS YOUR TIME ONBOARD IS RECORDED IN YOUR SEAMANS BOOK THEN YOU ARE TECHNICALLY NOT IN A SHENGEN STATE. SO THE QUESTION TO ASK IS: WHICH HAS EXPIRED? THE 90 DAYS OR THE SPECIFIED PERIOD? THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL DETERMINE WHAT ACTION NEEDS TO BE TAKEN GIVE HER SOLID PAPERS THAT MAKE SENSE AND A RELEVANT ITINIRARY AND SHE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A 12 MONTH SPECIFIED PERIOD HOPE THIS HELPS...
Septic tank
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:38 PM

Employ people that have less visa issues
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:16 PM
septic tank yeah, that's a great advice! please do everybody a favor and find yourself something to do..
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:48 PM
Good Evening B.T Jackson

I am a South African in the same situation although I have about 40 days left on my visa.

I phoned the embassy in Cape Town this afternoon and they are not much help, their number is +274231575. I spoke to the lady in the visa section and she mentioned that 90 days was the given amount and that is what it is, no extensions are possible. I do however hear that there might be another option whereby you can take a few days off with all your boat papers, and the relevant requirements required from the consulate and go to Israel, where South Africans do not require a visa entrance and apply from there.  I apologize for not having more information however I believe that the situation changed in the last few months where as before it was possible to apply here or at least do it through a fedex/visa company, they now need to do the whole interview and fingerprinting again in south africa. There must be a way though so ..."all hands on deck would be great", if you hear any news or find a way to do this I would be most grateful for the information . Please contact me on tamsyndn@gmail.com should there be any news from your side and I thus will be able to do the same.

After traveling for years in many countries I must say that having the "green mamba" passport as we call it is often like having a noose around the neck and the more positive response and feedback we can have from those in the know helps us all... it saves time, numerous amounts of paperwork/admin and crazy financial expenses.....

..... life is for the living, adventures should be for everyone who has the vagabond spirit .. so heres hoping that your crew get their much deserved visa .!!

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:57 PM
Seaman's Book is the way to go. You can be on a crew list, with an expired visa BUT with a seaman's book you'll be fine.

Keep your South African Stewardess on board, when you enter a European port the rules will become very clear...they might issue her a port pass that allows her to stay within a certain radius of the port...if worse comes to worse, she will need a letter from the Captain ("transit visa" to the airport of her departure). Definitely, keep her on board and when you learn from the authorities post it on this blog for us all to learn You can't get into trouble because technically she will not be on European soil.

I am South African Stewardess and have just returned home because of this "grey area"...

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:48 AM
I am a South African with over 10years in the industry. With regards to Visa for Saffas, it is pretty straight forward. So long as you have a Seamans book and are signed onto a vessels crew list then you are allowed to travel within the port or town where the vessel is docked. There may be times however where the Authorities come onboard and say you cannot go ashore, as has happened to me in Turkey. The vital thing to remember is that when you want to fly out of the EU you will need to organise a TRANSIT VISA, which can generally be done by the ships agent. Along with a letter from the boat you should have no trouble leaving the EU. Then when you get back to SA, apply for another Schengen and start the whole process again. The other issues for South Africans now is that we need a visa for the UK so remember, if you fly to the UK for a weekend without a valid Schengen, you will not be allowed back into the EU. Hope that helps.
TREVOR
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:12 AM

yes, very much a tricky situation indeed. I too am South African and will too at some stage have the same problem. I currently have a Greek schengen visa and I am based in France, From what I understand is that I can go to the greek consulate here in France(or any other schengen state other) with the boat papers and seamans book and pay a fee for an extension.(i am still in the process of finding this all out) But as someone else posted there are not many people (incl consulates) that know the process or in's and outs- Good luck
Captain Laura
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:47 AM

Get yourself and all crew a Seaman's book. Go to your flag state for application forms and get this done ASAP. When you leave Turkey, check into the EU via Greece and from personal experience they prefer a Seaman's book before a passport and with a Seaman's Book it proves the crew member is a professional mariner. I know of several South African crew without Shengen visas but have their Seaman Book and there is no problems for them to stay on as yacht crew. It is not a good idea to travel by car into other EU countries without the Shengen visa as they are to be moving about as yacht crew not tourists.
Meesa Egypt
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:06 PM
From our experience as crewing agent in Egypt the agent in your next port of call can handle this
it happen before with one of our crew and they issued from him shengen visa once he arrive amsterdam
but he boarded airplane by OK TO BOARD letter from the agent in amesterdam confirming that
he will meet and assist him at the airport .

we also issue liberian seaman book for our crew thats make it easy for any crew travel all over the world

hope this helpful information
kind regards
meesa egypt  www.meesayachts.com
email : info@meesaegypt.com

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:23 PM

Marry her yourself and get her a better passport....

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:01 AM
Once you have the seaman's book (preferably not a South African one), it is possible to apply for a longer term Schengen Visa. Visa's valid for 2 or even 3 years can be issued.
Sailfast
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:39 PM
Anyone with information on how to apply for a seaman's discharge book for a yacht registered in the Cook Islands?
Hendrik
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2012 10:34 AM

Hi guys, i am a south-african passport holder.. i am disembarking in Barbados, and flying to Gatwick and transiting through Heathrow to Hungary.. and have valid schengen and also a seaman's discharge book, discharge papers as well! Do i need a UK transit visa for this transit.. as far as all my answers i got is no.. but i would personally want an answer from experienced travelers. Does any one have any Advice?? please help as i am flying back Hungary on the 18th November.. Also i have flight paid and confirmed to return to SA on the 5th December from Hungary! Cheers any info would be highly appreciated.
Firepixi
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:49 PM

Crew arriving by sea to Schengen areas must either be covered by a visa or a seaman's book (at least one of the two is compulsory). Crew arriving by air must first obtain a Schengen visa in their home country as the 'visa upon arrival' scheme no longer exists in France and other Schengen states. New rules as of the 1st of December 2011 mean that it is now not possible to enter a Schengen country for work without prior arrangements. There are two categories of visas granted by the embassies for crew: 1) A short stay visa => Itinerary letter showing that the ship does not have a consecutive stay in France or Monaco ports of more than 90 days (this is not strictly administrated in all countries). Arrival procedure for “C” type visas (a 'C' type visa is a visa for 'Transiting the United States') => Crew must be stamped out of the Schengen area in order to be able to use the same visa for the balance of days remaining upon their return when limited days apply and the vessel's stay is longer than these days. Restrictions: Crew can only stay onboard and within the port of call. 2) A long term visa => More than 90 consecutive days in a port (e.g. ships in wintering position) => Crew are considered to be residents. Arrival procedure for “D” type visas => As a visitor, application for a resident's permit MUST be done upon entry into France – Crew will receive a document from the embassy for this purpose (Demande d’attestation OFII) together with their visitors visa. It takes anything between 1 and 3 months to finalise this process. It requires crew to show up in person for a medical check at the immigration center. This procedure has a certain cost involved. Restrictions: Crew can freely circulate within Schengen areas/France (depending on the terms of the visa) but only after the OFII have stamped the visa. OFII procedure is similar to filing for a residence permit (carte de séjour) VISITEUR (visitor). Crew will have to sign an agreement stating that they will not seek to work in a shore-based job (this would be considered a breach of contract eventually leading to expulsion.) Failing to apply for the OFII procedure can result in a ban of future Schengen visas for up to 10 years. The visa is only completed once the OFII have stamped the visa. Within the last 2 months of the visa's validity crew may file for an extension and get a final ‘Carte de séjour – visiteur’ valid for 1 year, and which is renewable. If crew fail to arrive with a visa covering the whole contract this does not mean they have to stay in the Schengen area, however they may get a note in their file making a new Schengen visa a little more complicated to obtain in the future. Information supplied by Catalano Shipping. © Professional Yachtsmen's Association 8, Avenue Mirabeau 06600 Antibes Tel: + 33 (0)4 93 34 91 16 Fax: +33 (0)4 93 34 21 83 www.pya.org - info@pya.org Hope this helps!!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:44 PM

Good day,

We are a South African couple, both working on a private yacht. We will be crossing over to the Med soon and will not have sufficient time to apply for our Schengen visas, thus we will recieve Port transit visas upon arrival in EU.

I was wondering if there is ANY way or means we can apply for a Schengen visa whilst on the Transit visa in Europe?? we are pretty clued up regarding the ins and outs, along with limitations on this "transit visa" but never have we NOT had a Schengen visa.

We LOVEtravelling and will have some time off, but do not want to be restricted in any way.

PLEASE help or ANY advise of what we can do, will be much appreciated

MANY thanks guys

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:55 PM

Good afternoon,

My partner and I are currently working onboard an Private yachts heading to the Med for the season, unfortunately we do not have enough time to apply for our Schengen visas before we depart, thus will have to enter the EU with a transit visa.

My question is, if it AT ALL possible to apply for a Schengen Visa whilst in the EU on a Port Transit visa?? We are both South African and have been in the idustry for a fair amount of time, however, this situation is a first!!

Please, ANY advise would be extremely helpful,

Thank you in advance

Average 0 out of 5