Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Questions About Money
btharris
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:54 AM

Hi all, what does everyone do if they run out of money, or just cant find any work? Is this something that happens often? I was also wondering why "yachties" get paid so much, as opposed to a typical land-based job? It would be awesome if someone could answer all 3 of these questions; thanks!
Henning
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:16 AM

1. Ramen noodles and sleep on the beach.
2. Not really if you're actually trying and not a total twit.
3. Because you give up having a life. This isn't a job where you go to work then go home, it's 24/7.

junior
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:02 AM

Gee BT, what makes you think that crew make big money working on yachts ? A typical college graduate ,working land side, out earns 90 percent of Yachties. A professional, employable yacht crew will have the same level of educational achievement thru licensing formats and seatime as a college Grad. You may view the numbers quoted on dockwalk with envy, but consider that a majority of yacht jobs are seasonal, with good jobs lasting at best one of two years, then unemployment. This cycle is very costly over the long term Also consider that the areas of operation are very expensive for crew, I just paid 6 US dollars for a cup of coffee and a copy of today's Herald Tribune. Also factor in Pension obligations, Health Care obligations, Taxation, Exchange rate fluctuations ..... Yacht crew in general are lucky if they can bank 10 grand a year. If you seek money...look someplace else.
btharris
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:00 PM

Thats a good point. It isn't the money that Im after; I've spent my life around boats and I have always wanted to do this. Im just worried that I will end up living as a bum when there isnt any work, I take it that a career like this doesnt offer much stability? (apollogies if I have offended anyone)
junior
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:40 PM

Zero stability...ZERO. Ive been at it 30 years and I can count on one hand fellow shipmates who have been able to do the dance for that long. If your committed to working on yachts , be my guest. Young guys with ambition will always be welcome. If youre smart you will avoid yachty play school qualification and go professional...learn a skill. It could be engineering, commercial ship operation, boat building you name it. All the guys that I know who are yachting survivors were able to fall back onto primary skills when the yacht job market dries up or they are plain sick and tired of looking at Daddy Warbucks and his misfit mega yacht family. I just spoke to a captain I know. He came over to the Med in spring to scout out a new opportunity....didn't find anything that suited him , so he flew back to North American and is now working commercial ships out of Canada. Perhaps next year he gives the yacht scene another look, in the meantime he is steadily working away towards retirement. Past crew from my yachts ,who have gotten out of yachting but who still make a living with yachts, have gone on to being a yacht designer with Bruce Farr, a Sailing Master US Naval Academy, a Shipyard manager Spain, an Americas Cup hull builder...these jobs require skills beyond yachty school tickets . A good yachting skill to pick up these days is Composite technology

Average 0 out of 5