Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Tired of the drama
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:19 PM
Where did everyone go???? I've been on the same boat for two years now and every time we get a good team together a person leaves, or a run of people get fired. There are one or two boat snitches that manipulate people and cause trouble, the owner encorages people to tell tall stories and loves drama. I am fed up with the cycle of good crew leaving and the scum bags chasing off good people, I could go to the owner and throw the bad crew under the bus but I see good in everyone and don't wish to be a trouble maker. What should I do, stick it out for year 3 and a pay increase with another 13 month bonus, should I leave or should I man up and snitch on the lazy manipulative crew members that break up the team, destroy moral and ruin peoples reputaions by spreading negative gossip. Help me because I am tired of the drama.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:49 PM
Be thankful you have a job .... unless you're an engineer then leave! LOL
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:17 PM
  Totally agree... your soooo lucky to have that job.... 13th month !!!  
junior
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:57 PM

Its a good learning experience. Now you know what we all know............ big yachts are festering cesspools, staffed with malcontents in epaulets and owned by Beverly Hillbilly's trust fund offspring.. Use this wisdom in future to drop down in size, up in responsibility and into the comfort zone . Escape your mind numbing Mega Yacht reality TV show world if you expect to do the time.. . And be careful with what you say on Dockwalk. Only two or three people on this site actually have jobs...the rest will cut your throat for a paycheck.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:11 PM
Can I have your job ...... please?
Capt Kaj
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:33 AM

Sadly this is part of the sick world we call "professional yachting". It somehow harbours social mis-fits, alcoholics, drug takers and people who can´t foot it in a normal society. Throw in the fact that you are living with people who you would never choose to live with, add in wierd personalities, puffed up egos, insecurities and habits, hey presto, welcome to yachting. It largely boils down to jealousy and fear. Analyse those crew that are giving the rest of the crew grief and I am sure you will see that they are suffering from one or both of these conditions.

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don´t know your rank or role onboard or where you fit in, but often if you challenge them they will back off, but wait for the retaliation in some circumstances. They have probably worked out your passive acceptance of their games because you don´t say anything. It is your choice where you take it from here. If they were on my yacht..........well they wouldn´t be!

By the way, where is the Captain in all of this?? He should know what´s going on, but again, just because he has the 4 stripes doesn´t annul him from the games people play, maybe he´s caught up in it, or is under pressure from the perpetrators games as well and keeps his mouth shut, or is having a relationship with one of them. Days of our lives x 10.

Capt Kaj

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:59 PM
The fish stinks from the head down. If you're having problems with crew leaving or the wrong ones staying then you must see something the captain doesn't. Sometimes the captain is so bored with his job that he turns crew issues over to the mate who probably has a newly minted license, no experience and a huge ego. He doesn't look down the road he just acts on impulse. God forbid he's dating the chief stew because you'll end up with a crew that only he and his girlfriend like. I like to say that the tail is wagging the dog and it happens a lot in yachting.

captain
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:41 PM

MESSAGE FROM MERLIN, GO ABOUT YOUR DUTIES, STAY AWAY FROM THE TROUBLE MAKERS ,IF YOU DO NOT SET YOUR SELF APART ,IT WILL SOMEDAY APPEAR TO THE OWNERS YOU PART OF A PROBLEM.A PLACE YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE, A DAY WILL COME WHEN THE OWNERS WILL CATCH ON TO THE PROBLEMS ABOARD TROUBLE MAKERS ALWAYS GET BUSTED !!!!
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2010 8:48 AM
my advice to you is to make sure that you keep the guests/owners happy.
go about your work as you always do. clearly your work ethic has nullified any negative/incorrect statements from the bad apples. there is no need to aggressively pursue these people. their time will come. I assure you.
Keep your head down , work hard , and rise above all of this nonsense.
1 more year , and perhaps a move to a happier yacht??
Kind Regards ,
Craig
p.s.
If you do feel like moving on , please give me a call/email.
I worked on cruise ships with 'bad apples' all the time. The mind games and B/S was ridiculous.

lastly , dont leave until you have discreetly found another job. Apparrently its tough 'out there'.

rwoods3942
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 3:01 AM

In general yachting can be a very difficult profession. I have ten crew and tend to weed out lazy, drunks or people that have attitudes. I understand that we have it hard during the season- Im currently on anchor watch and it is 0400. Back to back charters all summer long. The rule of thumb you should ask yourself is, drama comes in many forms, can you live with it, should you, depends on how serious it is. I hear it is hard out there trying to find work, thats a bunch of crap, boats everywhere over here in the Med. I need crew, my friends need crew, if you are good at what you do in this industry you will always have a job!! You know if your resume is good or not, if you have good references, jobs come to those who stand out and put there head down and do the job. Anyway that is my opinion. Captain Ron
Salvador
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:03 PM

Hello Capt Ron,

Can I email you my cv for review please?

Thank you

Salvador

Average 0 out of 5