Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Help and advice needed!
Siobhen
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 1:50 PM

I have actively been looking to work on yachts in the capacity of stewardess / hostess for the past 6 months and have registered with many agencies but unfortunately I don't seem to be progressing anywhere. I have worked at sea for the past 5 years within guest relations and have my STCW95 Certificate etc. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
dbriggsie
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 2:02 PM

hi Siohban,

I in fact was in the same situation last year.. but without any experience..

My advice to you is to get yourself to a dock and start networking.. Even if you sacrifice pay for first hand experience, its well worth it!! thats exactly what i did.. you dont realise how much networking and other job opportunities you miss out on if you are not on a yacht. Crew agencies are not the way to start!! trust me i have been there and done that.

Henning
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 8:32 PM

I'm going to make a few guesses here, your 5 years at sea has been on cruise ships and you have been looking for a yacht job from home in the Ukraine or somewhere. If that is your actual picture, it's hard to imagine that someone hasn't hired you if you are dock walking where the boats are. Cruise ship, nor any other maritime outside of yacht,  experience doesn't really seem to count for much in the yachtie world, although the STCW 95 Basic is important to have. However you are young and good looking, and that always gets girls hired. You just have to be there when they need you. "Mail order crew" is a last ditch thing one does when somewhere where you can't find crew locally, or you already know the person you want to hire. Most boats are not in that situation. I'm in Cairns Aus, far from being a "hive of yachting", and I get handed 4 resumes a week. Boats in Med ports probably get closer to 4 a day plus follow up visits.

junior
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:12 AM

You have to get down to a major yachting center and meet the people. Its to only way. If today I arrive in Antibes or Palma or Ft Lauderdale with the yacht and need to hire a stewardess I simply walk to the yacht next door, knock on the passerelle, introduce myself to the captain..Henning or whomever and ask him.. hey I Need a stewardess...do you know of any available ? This is how the scene works . Your job is to meet the guys like Henning etc and make a favorable impression so that he thinks of you when another captain pulls thru town and needs a crew . Crew agents are a dead end...I have not been to one when looking for a crew in twenty years.
dbriggsie
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 8:35 AM

Henning, Its funny that..
I was in cairns at the beginning of this year and i did the same thing.. walking around handing out resumes.. Pitty i wasn't there at the right time. I was there when the king tide hide lol. Alot of crew stay up there in the crew house. Its a nice environment to start out.

I went down to Rivergate Marina in Brisbane also.. saw Keri-Lee coming in for a refit.

But its amazing how many spots that dont get dockwalked..
So try your luck and get down to the nearest dock!

Everyone needs help.. you just have to be there on the spot to get work. 

Siobhen
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 2:12 PM

Thank you for your help and advice, sometime you just need to be pointed in the right direction! I feel that I have been going round in circles for some time now!

So now I'm going to ask you on the best places to go, any ideas? I was looking at heading out to Antibes, but am very aware that this is a very popular place and that it's still very hard to find a job within the industry considering the current financial climate!

Henning - yep that’s a picture of me and I have been working on cruise ships! But now am at home on leave in the UK? Maybe worth looking locally around home too! I was out in OZ in Feb/ March this year! If only I had known where to look!!

Any other information / help / jobs you think I would be interested in please let me know! Thank You!!!!

Henning
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 4:22 PM

Siobhen wrote:
Henning - yep that’s a picture of me and I have been working on cruise ships! But now am at home on leave in the UK? Maybe worth looking locally around home too!

UK, Ukraine, same difference.... Yeah, look around home and Northern Europe (granted not many big boats there), but your best chance is still going to be doing the rounds in South of France/Monaco. Also look at www.findacrew.net

junior
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 7:28 PM

Gee, if youre in the Uk why not grab your umbrella, put on your wellies and head west for some Cornish Pasties . Good yacht yard down there, so you might email em'...ask them to post your resume on the board, and find out what boats are around and in what pub the crew gangs are drinking their beers and watching the world cup. Port Pendennis Marina Pendennis Shipyard E:marina@portpendennis.com W:www.portpendennis.com .....or steer south and sniff around Southampton Yacht services http://www.southamptonyachtservices.co.uk/
Capt. O. Kerkhofs
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 9:39 AM

Hi Siobhen, Feel free to contact me on my local mobile +90 5347439966 (Turkey). I have a position for you right now if you are interested. It goes for a 43m new build currently in the commissioning stage, then sea trial followed by owner & charter cruises. Kind regards
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:30 PM
Soibhen, be weary of people who offer you a job on this site with only one posting after only looking at your picture.........creep !! Especially guys who feel the need to have people cal them captain. Only my opinion. Also watch out for captains who try to turn your interview into a date.....Always meet for your interview on the Boat, not a restaurant of cafe'.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:41 PM

Siobhen, send me your CV through to capriceyacht@aol.co.uk

Meesa Egypt
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:44 AM

Siobhen ,  I have many request to hire crew onboard  luxurey yachts but it come suddenly sometimes

it takes time , I canot promise to find position at the moment but just send your CV and once

i have request will contact you , please mentioned reference in your CV .

send your CV to info@meesaegypt.com  visit  www.meesayachts.com  in order to know more about

Meesa Yachts .

my also advise to you is to ask first about the reputation of the persons you are going to contact with

if you have yachting pages directory or the yacht report , the crew report magazine , Yachting matters you will find always Meesa Yachts there and thier contact details  .

also you can joine thier group on face book Call  Meesa Yachts Egypt .

I wish you all the best and luck to find very soon job .

Wishing you all the best .

Average 0 out of 5