Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
STDs in the Industry
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:54 PM
Be nice to see a topic related t incidence of STD, Hepatitis and HIV in the industry and how we can protect ourselves from such inflictions.....Deckhand sleeps with a prostitute then a stew, then stew sleeps with other deckie who quits and moves onto a new boat..............or do you want me to as a specific question ?? Lets hear it .
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:24 PM
Not on my boat they don't! ALL crew are tested for HIV, Syph, Hep C ..... and if they pass that, then they're given a drugs test! Assuming they pass that lot they repeat the process evey 6 months!!!!! LOL
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:04 PM
  That's great!!! I do the tests on my own, and carry them with me, and it's inevitable (?) the suspition of the other condition!!!  If all tested, it makes  it a lot easyer, ( sorry my English, not the best days..
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:56 PM
STD's omg are you joking. It's onshore offshore and something we all need to congnizent about. SAFE SEX is nothing new and to be honest I work so many hours I barely have the energy to masturbate, let alone throw my leg over a sleazy stew on the boat next door. While we talk about STDs we may as well talk about drugs and HIV because they seem to go together and chances are the crew which are into the party life are into unprotected sex and drug use.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 7:33 PM
oh mate STCW, RYA, GMDSS, MPT, IYT, STD's dont you see? they just belong here...stratch and sniff.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 6:30 PM
I ended up with an STD from another yachtie...its not fun, I highly recommend to everyone being super safe within the industry, this disease is gross.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 11:04 PM
Nothing new to me. Sometimes, working on a yacht can be similar as being in college and hanging out in frat parties... Just don't be stupid about it and put a party hat on... I wouldn't consider any yachties "less of a risk" than anyone I just met on the street, litterally...
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2010 12:27 AM
Had a friend got stuff in Bazil - black clap could not cure...another rubbed his eye with std and what a mess. Just assume it is 100% there - a rubber or what ever will not protect...so you have been warned Make money and don't mess around - you have been warned but drinking and youth it is very hard to think smartly. One captain would give a draw and every $100 would include a rubber to male and female but let me tell you it did not work, but the captain tried. There is some bad stuff out there and usuallly it is who you do not expect...like a teacher, a rich persons, people who you would not expect. Your chances are about 75% You will catch something...sorry but the reality is there. Oral does not stop it either...Good luck you have been warned from and ole CME/master.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:20 AM
I know of 2 maybe even 3 cases of HIV within the industry. it is very well hidden, but dont be stupid bout it. cover yourself. its that simple.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2010 3:45 PM

Education is key.  There are so many myths, and false ideas about STDs and diseases.  This is not something that you should learn from your friends and coworers over a few beers.  This should really be taught onboard as part of the ships first aid training.  Taught by a professional instructor that has knowledge in this area.

My company teaches onboard first aid classes throughout Florida and will create handouts and cover in detail any topic the client wishes.  This includes heart attack, stroke or even STDs if you wish.

Get your knowledge from a trusted source, not the bartender.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2010 11:07 PM
All i can say in this case is strap it up before you slap it up quote from tim westwood himself hahaha it make me smile to see this post antibes is full of the fun of STD's
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 6, 2010 12:13 AM
Antibes and STD's? Well, we'll have to blame the Aussies that have absolutely flooded that market then!

Anita Warwick
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:33 AM

This topic had me calling several of the crew health insurance carriers asking if Hepatitis B  would be a covered illness or not? 

Where one of the crew insurance carriers most definitely does cover STDs, HIV and AIDS.... most do not!

So where do the health insurance companies stand with Hepatitis B, which is often transferered sexually, hence a STD?   Hepatitis is not always contracted sexually (needles, sharing razors or toothbrushes,  infected mother to a baby or other contact with body fluids or saliva may cause infection.)

Other than the carrier that covers all STDs, two carriers confirm that STDs are not covered. (But who is to say if Hep B was contracted sexually?!)   One carrier has not yet responded - I can imagine the underwriters have their knickers in a knot with this one!  

If you are insured and you have a Hepatitis claim denied, I suggest contacting your agent to see if you should appeal.  It is easier to get help with possibly wrongly denied claims if your health plan is regulated by the Dept. of Insurance. They are there to help the consumer. 

Meanwhile, wrap that rascal!        SEVEN SEAS HEALTH

14Freedom
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:21 AM

Hey All,

On any insurance policy, see pre-existing conditions. (HIV/HEP any type, and everything else). This also goes for the dental forum.

ATB-
The Slacker

Average 0 out of 5