Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
should I drop my job hunt?
siria
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:37 PM

Hi everybody, my name is Sara, I am a 27 years girl from Italy. I have been reading DW for quite a lot now and the time has come for me to ask some advices to you more experienced guys!! I am new to the industry, and in the last three months, I have completed my STCW 95 training, I have completed an 8 days Stew course in which I learnt all the basics to be a proper junior Stew, I have been joining all the agencies in Antibes, some in Palma and some in Fort Lauderdale.. I have been dayworking a lot, I have been dockwalking, and went to few interviews... And I am still jobless!! Right now all the boats seem to be fully crewed already.. The few ones still looking seem to be more keen to hire Stew with some experience already.. They all still take CVs but I think they do it more to for kindness than because they are really interested.. and they all say to keep going on like that and I will find something for sure... I have been to every port from Cannes to Genoa and the situation is everywhere the same, and I am really starting to feel hopeless. My question is: In your opinion is there still any (good) chance to find a job right now, or I should drop my job hunt and look for some bar job while waiting for the Caribbean season? I am really eager to be on a yacht, and just the thought of dropping everything right now makes me really sad but if it is worthless to keep going on then I should do it as quick as I can and start earning money for next season instead of spending tons of it to find a job on board... So please let me know what you think because I really feel like a need a good advice right now and maybe to be cheered up a little too!!
Henning
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:52 PM

It's not really an either or situation. You can take that bar job and still keep looking. If you can find a bar job at a yachtie bar, so much the better. People quit, get hurt, get fired... mid season and replacements are required. Yachtie bars are where this information gets disseminated first, so keep your ears open and a smile on your face. Be prepared to do this on a regular basis through your career. This industry is not exactly one of job stability.

junior
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:18 PM

give him a call.. French captain...just spoke with him...needs a legal STCW95
siria
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:11 PM

@Henning: Thanks for your advice, I will try to do that, but as I am based in Vintimille I am not sure I will be able to find any bar frequented by captains and crew.. I shoul rent an apartment in Antibes in order to do that but I would probably end up spending more money than I earn... So it's a big decision to make! @Junior: Thank you very much.. I am not sure he understood where I got his number, but he asked me to send him my CV anyway. That's what I've done.. We'll see if he likes it! Cheers!!
junior
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:34 PM

Something to understand is that the big ports like Palma or Antibes are all dominated by incestuous gangs of Anglo Saxons. Outside these big ports are dozens of yachts who desperately need European..multilingual crew.
siria
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:23 PM

I have tried the smaller ones lately too but without any chance... I guess I'll try harder then..
junior
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:32 PM

Pass you resume around Malta....I was there last week and a few boats were looking for help..
Shefsteel
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:59 PM

junior what are the best ports in malta to put the CV around as im currently looking for a deckhand job?
siria
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:38 PM

Unfortunately I don't have enough money to get to Malta right now.. I think I will keep going with South of France... But thanks anyway for your advice!
Steve
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 3:47 AM

i can email you some direct contacts on some big boats 70-90mtre that always need people. Very hard but a good start. email me direct on soundesignsydney@gmail.com tel me where you are form in italy and then ill ask you on here to save form some parasite cutting your lunch
ves258
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 2:52 PM

Hi there, I too am going through the same process right now. I have lots of experience in service industry having worked at a high end hair salon for the last decade. I am used to working under pressure and long hours and with lots of people in small places. I have done day work and dock walked all day long for the last month and nothing. Then i hear of girls with half my experience who have been here a week and get work. I have been through alot to get here so i will not give up just yet but i know what you are going through.
junior
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 5:15 PM

When you present yourself to a crew agent you are nothing more than a fish flapping on the dock. The secret to powering ahead is to do whatever you must do to develop contacts ...eyes and ears in all yacht ports. Everywhere I go fellow Captains are asking me if ...I know someone available.. I always pass on what resumes I have on board from crew I have met. You must cultivate everyone you meet as a potential set of eyes and ears.
Salvador
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 6:06 PM

Hello!

Does this means, for example, that instead of me trying to get a job onboard a  +100 trhu an agent, if I got to you guys here in DW, first, I ' d probably be somewhere else, wind in the face, splashing, salting and burning my hands?

Ho man! Lol

siria
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 7:01 PM

@Steve: Thank you very much I emailed you a couple of hours ago, I hope you got it!! @Ves: Yeah I know what you mean, I think that even if I have never been working in hospitality before, I have still got a few more skills compared to other people I met on the docks, like a stew course, language skills, high end costumer service and a lot of dayworking experience, but still no job for me, and then like you I hear about people that just came around here and have half of my experience and in a couple of days get the job.. I think most of the time is also about luck and timing, being inthe right place at the right time is what makes the difference!!!! and it's horrible!! I just hope it will happen to me as well one of these days! @Junior: Yes you're totally right about crew agents, and I always try to have a good conversation with the crew I leave my CV to, while I am walking the docks, if the time allows them to... But I always thought they would throw it in the bin straight away.. I really hope there are more people like you out there that just keep it in case someone else needs it!!
siria
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 7:07 PM

@Salvador: I don't know if you have already got experience in the industry, but if you don't have any, I think you definitely should not just rely on crew agents but go somewhere where you can walk the docks and get some daywork and yes, get your hands burned!!
Salvador
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 7:57 PM

Hi,

Thanks Sara. I've experience in the +\- 20 m boats. as deckhand (when owner drives) \ skipper (when they don't) \ engineer\ legall, all round, you know, smaller boats, less crew, more variety on the job. So, with 33 it's not easy to get a regular big yacht busy job, Usually they require younger with less. ( I've eng course, and finished my Ocean skipper license recently) with no big yacht experience, just small boats. wich I like!

A wile ago, 1 month maybe, I got close to get an 80' to run, and I researched DW resumes because they required a hostess\stewerdess, off course, to help in\outside. The boat is still waiting for the business to go, and I 've looked to a lot of resumes. Suddenly, I was looking for a Stew!

In my case, the 80' job is also in Angola, Africa, and all of the stews  just want  Med\FLaud  and the usual !!

Do you want to go to Africa ? (salvadorat@gmail.com)  If the Med is full of crew I have to go some where else, like you I'm short in cash my salary here is low... can't get to Palma|Malta!

I love this job enough to go,  (I'm used to burn my hands), I just realised that maybe if I tried to ask for a Big yacht job in this forum, I could allready have it!!!! 

I also love the glamour : ) & Play , wich I believe it's associated to yachting, and we'll find it anywhere yachts go!

I'm waiting for my visa.

Salvador
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 8:18 PM

In your case, if you're allready in SF, You're much closer to get a Big yacht job than me, here they only come from time to time, and allready crewed!!!

Best of luck to you,

Salvador

ves258
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 6:48 PM

Well sara i guess we just have to keep solidering on. And if anyone here needs nice hardworking stews do let us know. Might see you on the docks x Good luck
Tristan
Posted: Tuesday, June 1, 2010 8:36 PM

Hi Sara, I see you have tried some of the smaller ports recently but does that include the new marina at Porto Maurizio, (the train stop just before Imperia)? I live in Bordighera and work in the shorebased side of the industry  traveling regularly to all the ports between La Spezia and St Tropez. As far as I can see Porto Maurizio is a great new marina with boats from 90m to 30m and shows the most promise, I know it is not Antibes (yet) but more boats are arriving every week and its just a short hop on the train for you. Good luck with the search and keep going, if I catch you on the dockside you are welcome to a lift home!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:29 PM
Try the free sites online.  Be sure they are free, as some will sucker you in and then later ask you to pay for the information you need to contact the jobs.  The best one I've found is  http://AllYachtJobs.com    Hope this helps, good luck and keep a positive attitude.
siria
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:39 PM

@Salvador: I'd rather not go to Angola, but thanks anyway! @Ves: Yeah I'm pretty sure we will meet on the docks one of these days.. Good luck to you too!! @Tristan: Yes I've tried Porto Maurizio last Friday.. Now I am doing the french side but I will go back there for sure... I'll be glad to be offered a ride thanks! And yes if there's someone out there in need of nice hardworking stews do let us know!!!

Average 0 out of 5