Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The Green Issue
GreatStew
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:27 PM

See this site for ideas on being greener onboard! http://www.eco-yachts.com/ Would love to hear of any other sites dedicated to this issue with regards to the super yacht industry
bridgewatch
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:51 PM

Thanks GreatStew for posting this and thank you Dockwalk for making note of it. My partner Alain Serrini and I started this web site not long ago to help environmental awareness in the yachting industry. It is by no means a black and white subject, meaning that environmental concerns that are related to our industry are changing quickly and there is still alot to be improved upon. However, savvy professional yacht crew are quickly becomming more eco pro-active. New eco-friendly technologies are being installed onboard many more yachts and marine facilites, suppliers and yacht builders are feeling the weight of environmental regulations more than ever before. Environmental concerns and awareness is now a major topic of discussion in our most well respected symposiums and publications. The message is simple - EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS and we have to change our practices in every aspect of yacht building, operation and suport in order to help improve the impact of our industry on our fragile environment. Yachts are not going to go away - however, our industry is evolving and is already starting to include more and more cleaner technologies. Those in the "know" are already deep into testing and researching new products and services. We see progress in new technologies for construction of yachts, new environmental regulations for protecting our oceans are becomming more prevalent and facilities and regulatory authorities are rapidly addressing how to deal better with such things as recycling, and ground water, sea and air pollution. MARPOL is just the tip of the iceberg - and if you don't know what MARPOL is you best educate your self to it and more... All of this affects how we conduct ourselves as crew and individuals with concern for the environment. Be pro-active, "ask" your shore marina or yard facility about their recycling and waste disposal options, educate yourself to what products are more environmentally friendly and use them and think twice about how you purchase in respect to the waste you produce with packaging. Make it your everyday goal to use-reuse-recycle. Start today - One very easy thing to do is to stop purchasing bottled water and use a refillable sports bottle. It is easy to test the water onboard (test kits are cheap), engineers - clean the tanks and change the water filters on in a scheduled maintenance plan. If proper maintenance is done onboard we have some of the best quality drinking water filtered in many different ways comming out of the taps onboard. We CAN make a huge difference in limiting the quantity of plastic that we use that also often ends up in the ocean. Read about it all on www.eco-yachts.com Thanks for your efforts and we'd love to hear back from you here or on our site! The Ecoyachts Team, Denise and Alain.
Captain Brian
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:54 PM

I do a gree that recycling is a good idea and the recycled plastics can be used in many differnt ways, park benches fences ect.. My only fault with your statment "our fragile environment" Oil comes out of the Earth all over the globe all the time and then the sea breaks it down. There r plenty of Polar Bears. In the seventies they told me we were heading for an ice age now it's Global Warming and or Climent change. I think we shold be good Stuarts of the Earth but Gods is unlikely to let us destroy the eco system that he created !
Jim
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:49 PM

GreatStew, bridgewatch, Reduce plastic waste with these awesome cleaning products. Go to endeavormarine.com for more info. It’s the Right Thing To Do is the foundation for JAWS® (Just Add Water System), a patented cleaning technology developed by JAWS International, Ltd. that packages concentrates in a cartridge with reusable bottles and sprayers. The JAWS® system provides concentrated cleaning power in patented 10 milliliter cartridges that convert 32 ounces of water into cleaning solution. The initial product line consists of Glass & Hard Surface Cleaner, Multi-Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser, Disinfectant Cleaner Degreaser and Bathroom Cleaner/Deodorizer. The JAWS® concept is simple: fill the bottle with water, place the cartridge into the neck of the bottle, insert the sprayer and tighten. The colored concentrate dispenses and mixes with the water in the bottle to produce 32 ounces of powerful cleaning product. The cartridge refills are small, easy to ship and store, and the solutions perform as well as, or better than, leading national brands. Consumers initially purchase the product in "Starter Kits" consisting of one 32 ounce bottle of cleaning formula and two cartridge refills. After depleting the contents of the starter kit, consumers simply purchase refill packs of twin cartridges. To simplify consumers shopping experience, the products are color coordinated for easy recognition. Concentrates, simply delivered.
Henning
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 5:02 AM

Jim, the main problem I see with your product is it's not available in stores. The secondary issue is that it's not well known as to its efficacy. If I was in Ft Lauderdale, I may give it a shot, but if I have to have it shipped in half way around the world...that just ain't gonna happen. Besides, I make up most of my cleaning solutions out of 20 liter cubitainers of industrial base stock chemicals anyway so I end up with even less packaging waste. I find with just glacial acetic, clear ammonia and alcohol along with some tap water, you can make an effective solvent for anything, and if I need a surfactant I just add some dish or laundry detergent. Often I take my cubitainers in for refill and make the recycling a total zero loss proposition. Also my bottles of cleaner come out at less that 25 cents a liter.

Jim
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 3:21 PM

Henning, JAWS is being made available to chandlers and marine suppliers all over the world, not a problem. JAWS is made by a company that has been formulating and manufacturing innovative commercial chemistries since 1965. They are non-toxic, NPE free, and biodegradable. All of the available formulas work very well. The Just Add Water System technology provides a safe, no chemical contact, consistent, accurate method of diluting the concentrate with your water. Using your water allows you to save space, lowers the cost of the product (don’t pay for the manufacturer’s water), and positively affect the environment. Imagine being able to place 28 semi trucks worth of cleaner into just one truck by using concentrated formulas in JAWS® cartridges. Henning, your formulas sound interesting, but I'm not a chemist. I don't know too many yachts carrying 20 liter cubtainers of industrial base stock chemicals. Also, I'm not sure that yacht owners want their gold plated fixtures, imported marble and Awl grip paint jobs cleaned with something that was concocted by the crew in the bosun locker.

Average 0 out of 5