Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Captain Dies in Plane Crash
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:28 PM

Capt. Don Hopkin, 60, of the 157-foot Christensen Scott Free was killed on Saturday, May 15, 2010 after the Yak-52 single-engine plane he was piloting crashed into the ocean off Nettles Island beach on Hutchinson Island in St. Lucie County, Florida.

Hopkin’s passenger James B. Dooms, 39, of North Palm Beach was also killed in the accident.

Hopkin boasted more than 31 years experience in the yachting industry. Before working on the Christensen, Hopkin captained the owner’s previous boat, also called Scott Free, for seven years. Hopkin was raised in North Florida and grew up around boats. His hobbies off the water were golf and flying.

Our thoughts go out to the captain’s family and crew.

Coppo
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:40 PM

I just went to school with Don at MPT, he sat right in front of my in a 3 week celestial nav class. He was always talking about taking planes up and flying. He seemed like a really great guy. Was super friendly and I am really sad to hear about this. Rob
Henning
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:56 AM

Seems the passengers name proved a bit too prophetic. Sad also that it was a charity benefit flight.

captcct
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:06 AM

Such a shame. I knew Don. I was parked (moored) next to Scott Free for several weeks at Sunrise Harbor in Fort Lauderdale. He and his crew were extremely nice, as was Tony Scott, the film director who owns the yacht. May he rest in Neptune's heaven.

Average 0 out of 5