Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
To late in the season?
Sofiakaller1
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 10:07 AM

Hi all!

I am a Swedish girl by the name of Sofia. I am new to the hole yachting industry. I have recently taken the STCW95 course, here in Stockholm Sweden.

I am looking to going to Antibes at the end of this week. What do you guys think of the posibility of me finding an entry level position?  Are there still any jobs to find in antibes, or should i go to palma? Or should i even wait and go to FL?

I have been reading the forum here at dockwalk for a couple of months and some say that you are doomed to lose this late in the season, and some say that you can allways find a job, who should i listen too?

Thank you guys for taking your time!

/Sofia Käller

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:35 PM
Last year I got my deckhand job at the start of May, and they hired the stewardesses a bit later. The second stew didn't even get hired until June. I don't know how busy it is down there at the moment, but if you don't try you'll never find out! Just make sure you have enough money for three or four weeks, have a good attitude, dress professionally when dockwalking every day, and give out tons of well presented, grammar checked CVs! Good luck, let us know how you get on!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:08 PM
So, DOCKWALK censored a reminder to the Swedish girl that entering the US on a visitor visa to look for work is illegal. Does that mean that DOCKWALK condones illegal immigration? Sure looks like it to me. I wonder what ICE would have to say?
aeronautic1
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:01 PM

I need to remind you that entering the United States for the purpose of seeking for employment is an illegal act punishable by law.

A B-2 visitor for pleasure allows a foreign national to come to the U.S. to visit friends and families or for personal pleasures such as vacationing, touring, or site-seeing. Work authorisation on a B-2 Visa is prohibited. Typically, visitor visas are granted for a period of three to six months (90-180 days), which is the maximum length of time allowed per year. In many circumstances, a foreign national can obtain an extension while he/she is in the United States, so long as the applicant can demonstrate that he/she does not have the intent to permanently remain in the U.S. and there is a legitimate reason for such extension. Although it is not required under the Foreign Affair Manual (FAM), it is advisable that visitor visas should be applied for in the applicant’s home country. The reason for such denials often because an applicant, either inside the home country or in a third country, lacks documentation to show social, family, and economic ties to their country of residence.

B-2 TOURIST VISA HOLDERS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES

Persons admitted to the United States under a B-2 Tourist Visitor Visa are not allowed to work or receive any kind of payment while staying in the United States.

(5) Labor certification and qualifications for certain immigrants.-

(A) Labor certification.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who seeks to enter the United States for the purpose of performing skilled or unskilled labor is inadmissible, unless the Secretary of Labor has determined and certified to the Secretary of State and the Attorney General that-

(I) there are not sufficient workers who are able, willing, qualified (or equally qualified in the case of an alien described in clause (ii)) and available at the time of application for a visa and admission to the United States and at the place where the alien is to perform such skilled or unskilled labor, and

(II) the employment of such alien will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of workers in the United States similarly employed.

(ii) Certain aliens subject to special rule.-For purposes of clause (i)(I), an alien described in this clause is an alien who-

(I) is a member of the teaching profession, or

(II) has exceptional ability in the sciences or the arts.

Stew Rose
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:33 PM

"Persons admitted to the United States under a B2 tourist visa are not allowed to work or receive any type of payment while in the United States." 

It doesn't say you can't look for work because you can. If you get offered a job you need to leave the U.S. and return on a B1 with the ship's papers. Nothing is illegal about that.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:19 PM

Or you could come to Florida illegally like the estimated 30,000 undocumented migrants do every year and join the estimated 980,000 that are already in the state. As long as you pay your taxes and don't break any other laws you will be fine. BTW if you gain employment on a foriegn flagged vessel while your here is that still breaking the law?? Technically you are not working in the US. (I would imagine yes, you are).

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:02 PM

"Persons admitted to the United States under a B2 tourist visa are not allowed to work or receive any type of payment while in the United States." 

As this says... you cannot WORK while on a tourist visa... but foreign crew CAN look for work!! If not, then what are all of the crew agents doing helping get foreign crew jobs every day? If this is SOOO illegal, wouldn't the government have come in and shut them down? Of course, but they haven't because what they are doing IS LEGAL.

The point is foreign crew CAN look for work on a tourist visa. They cannot WORK while on a tourist visa...what about this is difficult to understand.

As difficult as this is for you to remember, yachting is an INTERNATIONAL industry. Boats move, people move. Americans quite often are the foreigners. No one is saying people should migrate, the definition of which is: To move from one country or region and settle in another, to the U.S. No one is saying non-American crew should be able to work on American-flagged boats.

All that is being said is, if this girl gets her B1/B2, she can come here to look for work. What is the difference if she goes to France to find a job or if she comes to America? If she is on a Shengen Tourist visa she can still look for work in the Med the same way she can do it in the U.S. If crew stop following the boats, looking for work, the industry will die.

Average 0 out of 5