Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
RENEWING SCHENGEN VISA
TARYN STACEY
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:21 AM

I am a South African Citizen in France working on a yacht. My 90 day Schengen visa expires in July and I have NO idea how to renew it. If anyone has any advice on how to go about this I would really appreciate it. I have so far only heard of rumours of going to Israel or Ireland...but is there any way of doing it in France or somewhere I dont have to fly to. Please please help me!!!!! Thank you!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:54 AM
I have got it before in Genoa. The crew of Pesto Agents got it for me. The yacht has to be there though. I am not sure if it still happens there. Call them.
Chantel Engelbrecht
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:04 AM

I have the same problem and I always have to go back to SA..would also like an easier way out.
I am on a Private yacht in Italy and when my visa runs out I have to use a shore pass that I get from the Questura. I don't know where you would get it in France (some sort of immigration police or something). It's annoying though because I can only be on private yachts and not charters and the shore pass only allows you to be in the area where the boat is based, like you can't travel to Italy if you are in France etc. I'm sure the rules are the same in France.

I also heard that you can use agents to "fedex" your passport to SA to renew your visa but that means going without your passport for a while and I don't know what info you need for the Consulate.
Anyway, yes, if anyone has the true answers...let us know!!

Henning
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:50 AM

Will Seaman's Papers get you out of this? Typically, with seaman's papers, if you are on a vessel, you are good to be where ever the vessel is as long as the vessel is there. It's not good for looking for work, but if you already have a berth on a vessel, it may help you....

TARYN STACEY
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:58 AM

Thank you all, apparently Genoa is out now, I heard since 2010 u have to be out of Europe to renew it. Other places that may be possible instead of going home is Israel and Ireland coz we don't need a visa for these places. Boat papers help get the visa, but the problem is if u over stay your visa and they notice this at the airport when you go home you could be banned from returning. So for me, I will look into the Ireland thing, but if anyone still has more information please help! The FEDEX sounds good too... Thank you again!
Captain Laura
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:21 PM

You cannot renew or obtain a Schengen visa in any Schengen country. Do your homework. If you have a seaman's book, you can continue working in Schengen countries as you are a professional mariner with a Seaman's Book-withput a Schengen visa--I have had crew do this. One crew returned back to South Africa with an experied Schengen visa and his Seaman's book and there was no problems for him. I had a stew renew her Schengen vias using a mail service and it was expensive but less than a flight back to SA. Rules are constantly changing on getting Schengen visas depending on the consulate you go to in the town you live in. The Chef was only able to get a six month visa and has to return to SA in November to get another one. You must have letters from the captain to prove employment and MAYBE you will get a 12 month visa.
James Ward
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 2:18 PM

The short term options are not good. Long term you should get a seamans book. It also makes you more employable as it is a pain in the neck for captains whne they have to deal with crew restrictions and loss of crew due to immigration issues. good luck
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:02 PM
try All Services in Genoa, see what they say. They have done it for me before and I wasn't even in Italy, was in Monaco. You will need boat papers, letter from captain and seaman's book will help too. Don't overstay your schengen even if you have a seaman's book! You are looking for trouble and it is ill advised! Some guys have 2 passports ( i do and it's perfectly legal for south africans somehow), leave one at home and have an agent get you another schengen when you need it and FEDEX over. I know a lot of guys that do it.
Henning
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:03 AM

If you have seamens papers/book/card and arrive with a job on a boat or with the boat, do you even need the Schengen visa? I've worked in Europe before as an American with a MMD (merchant mariners document, aka "Z-Card", was the US equivalent of a Seaman's Book) along with a letter from the owner stating I was employed as captain of the boat and never needed any special visa.  I'm not sure if this was due to a nationality issue or the seaman's identification. I worked Belgian, German and Cayman flagged boats.

TARYN STACEY
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:31 AM

The seamans book definately seems like a good option. But still difficult. I wouldn't take the chance of overstaying my visa, not worth the possible consequences. The Genoa way worked in the pass, but as others say, all schengen states are now out. Thanks for the info...any more is AWAYS welcomed!
Henning
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 9:46 AM

Can anyone answer if a Schengen Visa is even required if one has a seaman's book and is already employed? I'm not talking about dockwalking, you enter the country already employed by the vessel you are going to with seaman's credentials.
I've been flown in all over the world including Europe to join vessels and have never needed any special visa, so I'm just wondering if that's just for some nationalities or if that's across the board for documented seamen.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:05 AM
I'm having the exact same hassle now, the only other options for South Africans to renew the Schengen Visa is to go to London, however you can only apply there is you either have an Ancestoral Visa for the UK or a 2 year working Visa..A seamans book does allow us entry into the Schengen countries only if we are currently employed on a yacht, and if we have a letter from the Captain stating our purpose for leaving the EU and then returning.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 11:15 AM
Indonesia is a nightmare for South Africans. Visas for SA is nothing new
Kate
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:20 PM

Henning, We just published an article on this subject in the May issue. See article here. The answer to your question is you would still need a Schengen Transit visa, which is a 5-day visa, to join the boat, but once you're on board, a Seaman's book is sufficient. This is just for nationalities who require the visa, Americans don't. Hope this helps. Kate
TARYN STACEY
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 1:57 PM

Yeah, London used to be best option but now that we need a visa for there, its either Israel or Ireland, because both these places we don't need visas for. Henning, this is a topic about South Africans struggling to renew visas, a lot of other nationalities dont have so much hassle. Thanks for all the advice though!
AJ
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:36 PM

A seaman’s book helps a lot when it gets to schengen visas. I’ve been working on a Cayman Is. registered yacht for more than 3 years now and my Captain got me a Cayman Is. seaman’s book although I’m a South African. Just remember when applying for the schengen to have all your documents in order. Schengen form, Boat registration, Seaman’s Book, Letter from Captain with includes the schedule for the boat, Medical insurance, Work contract and Flight details. The last schengen I got was in Johannesburg and they gave me a two year one.
chrismlewis
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:41 PM

Henning, the problem is that while South Africans for example can stay and work on board a foreign vessel in the EU without a schengen visa (but with a seaman's book), you are not allowed ashore. not even to take out the garbage to quote one official.

Kyle Dods
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:43 AM

Its actually a load of bull. I don't see what the big issue is with us South Africans. All we want to do is travel the world and we actually have every right to. We've given up looking for work on vessels regardless of our qualifications just because every boat said that they are not interested in employing South Africans. Whats worse is that we have enough money to travel Europe for two months now but we have to go home to extend our Visas. I don't understand why we are being treated like this. I wish there was some place you could complain because its just not fair.

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:59 AM

It all stems back through history, the current generation is "paying for the sins of their fathers" so to speak.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:19 PM
Thanx, great info.
So where do I fly to in Ireland and how long does it take to get a visa.
Cheers!

TARYN STACEY
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 12:20 PM

Well I emailed Ireland and they said u have to be a resient of Ireland...I'm thinkng Israel but have to try get hold of them by phone as email doesn't work!
TARYN STACEY
Posted: Friday, June 4, 2010 12:36 PM

I got this email as info: The Schengen issues are getting worse and worse every year. Last year SA crew could go to the Spanish Consulate in Genoa and apply for a new Schengen. This year they stopped the operation due to internal matters...mafia maybe, I don’t know So for the moment everyone has to go home to apply for a Schengen. However you can work on a foreign flagged vessel with an expired or even without a Schengen visa. As you are seen as, crew not living in the EU, but on a vessel, in our case for instance from the Cayman Islands. Strictly speaking you are then not allowed ashore. But in certain areas the police will issue a shore pass for such crew members.(In Italy and Spain you can get a shore pass, in France not and so on). The other issue comes in when such a crew member would like to go on holiday or resign. Then depending on where the boat is, we organize with an agent for a transit visa. Then the crew member can leave the EU directly to another country, the flight may not connect through the EU. Also crew members can fly into the EU without a Schengen. If they fly via Amsterdam, to France or Spain. There is an agent in Amsterdam who supplies transit visas. But the boat has to be in either France or Spain .. Last year we could not join anyone like this when we were in Italy for instance. If ashore, there is the 90day stay in a 180 period on a Schengen visa(Multiple entry C only, which is what the mostly issue to yacht crew) So even if your Schengen is valid for a year you are only allowed to stay in the EU for 3 months. Then if you leave the EU you can only come back after being out of the EU for 3months.The 90 days don’t count when you’re on a foreign flagged vessel and will only start counting once you’re signed off the vessel. Hope this all makes sense It’s a mouth full!! The best spots for a B1 b2 also seem to change every year. Last year we sent 5 crew members to Naples. All got 10 year visas, even the first timers and a Thai crew member who historically always, got one year only. Also sent one to Milan...same story.
Richard McCormack
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:14 AM

Hi, I'm a New Zealander wanting to join the superyacht industry March 2011 and needing to sort Visa's before arrival. As per the May edition of Dockwalk, am I right in that I can land in any schengen country without a visa, for up to 90 days in 180, look for work and then once on a vessel, private or charter, can use a seamans log? Also believe it's only possible for a B1/B2 visa once employed which removes the possibility of going to the states to look for work? Thanks
Trevorjvr
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:43 PM

Hi guys, This all sounds very complicated! I have been in Ireland now for 4years but work is so bad that I am considering doing the yacht thing for a while to make some cash and hopefully come back to to Ireland eventually! I work permit expires in December. I would like to do the med but am I right in saying that the best option is to start off in the Caribbean on the B1B2 and then try head for the med after obtaining a full time position? Thanks and good luck to all you saffas out there! Freedom doesn't come too easily for us! hang in there!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:00 AM
Ok so for the SA peeps here is some info that I hope can help you out. I was in the industry a while back and now helping on some old boats again due to being a SA with a US green card it made it difficult to work on boats full time again. But anyway to the crux of the matter. For example if you work on a "cayman regist" boat it should be fairly easy for you to get your SDB(seaman book). You go the website download the application form which will tell you what you need(copies of letter of employ., stcw, etc). From where ever you are you should be able to fedex it and they will then get back to you with your sdb in hand. This should give you some extra time time to play with but word of advise try and do it before your visa expires.....In anyway you are a seaman and should have a sdb book.
For obtaining a schengen since it's been said it's so difficult your best option other than going home would be the States. Miami has a French & Italian Consultate and they deal with crew all the time and best case they will discharge it in 24hrs. Keep in mind to make appointments (yip just like in SA)
Now if you don't have a b1/b2 but you are close to milan, florence etc (which i assume you would be since you are in this pickle) they offer the best places to get it. Once again boat papers intact as before. Now another word of advise.......DO NOT ever lie to the US embassy all your info is stored and if you should cross there path again they will know everything from your last visit. Now it's up to you after that whether you want to wait till the vessel goes there or whether you want to fly (on holiday for instance) and then get it while you there.
Another thing concerning the US is the stamp they give you, and depending on whether you are here on b1 or b2 stay, often a 6 month stamp. Don't be fooled by this it is 6 months over a year period. So for instance if you leave after 4 months and come back inn and they give you another 6 month.....it does not start the count over. In fact if you overstay 6months in 1 year, you can actually be liable for tax in the US. This happened to me  
(thank goodness i wasn't working anywhere at that time) Anyway now every time i travel back into the US i go to the immigration room (yip even after my green card)Why? Well i'm a US resident till I get my passport and until then i travel on my SA passport which unfortunately gets flagged every time when scanned in the US. And NO a new passport with the new chip is NOT going to make a difference.So count your days (calendar in your cabin will do) in the US your boat will never usually over stay if it's not a US flag but for example if you run into trouble in a yard and you stay longer than you planned then count your total days whether on the boat or holiday in vegas..
Another thing for the Schengin visa is if you have all your papers (and sdb if you have) and your work contract stating your work situation etc they can sometimes very likely give you a year or 2 year visa but that is up to the discretion of the consulate and as always the luck of the draw of who you get and whether they had a crappy day or not.

This info is based on my experiences and from word of mouth but as always everything can change,
Hope this info helps!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:13 PM
To all my fellow South Africans (with the "green mamba") out there seeking work in the EU, I feel your pain and concerns regarding VISAs! I have recently been afforded a 90 day visa and wish to, like all newbies, try and obtain employment and take it from there. I am now in the process of obtaining a Seaman's Passport which I have heard and read seems to help with border control. My question is simply this, what countries that are apart of the Schengen territory allow you shore passes and for how long? Thanks to those for posting such honest and informative information!
Sean-H
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:04 PM

As far as shore passes go, if you have a Schengen visa that is as good as one, it includes Switzerland and Scandinavia, should you wish to go snowboarding/skiing in such places.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:14 PM
Thanks Sean! Actually my partner and I considered that but it doesn't really help that much it seems? Or does it? I could potentially marry a Dutch national?? It is not ideal to rush into these things but it would just be a matter of "getting hitched" earlier than expected Why do you think I would be leaving my profession to join this world!! What us silly women do for men!
Sean-H
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:21 PM

I just edited my last post, I offered too much info. You have a Schengen visa, that is your shore pass, the answer to your simple question. Also go here: http://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries Staying long term? That is a bridge that can be crossed when you come to it, where there is a will, there is a way. But while we are on the subject of marriage, my Belgian wife left a good job in Belgium to come to Africa in search of adventure, well she met me and found it. Now I have convinced her to move back to Europe and work on boats.
MiMi
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:29 AM

Hi Read most of the comments posted, but need some clarification. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am currently employed by a US flag cruise liner that will be based in Italy for some time. I have a four month contract starting sometime in April, do I need a shengan visa to get to Italy and then the ship yard? I have had many say no visa is needed as I am in possesion of A C1 D visa and a B2 visa, and an equal amount stating that I will not be allowed thru customs without a shengan visa....
gareth.griggs
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 4:19 PM

RSA resident 90 day type C visa almost up ASWELL:
1: In so saying that I am a live aboard on the LONDON registered yacht I am in actual fact not in French soil therefore I am not using up my 90 days from my visa... BUT how do I regulate that ie: how do I prove to the French etc that i have entered france and am living aboard therefore should be allowed to stay in the MED for a significant time period.

There are simply too many RSA yachties in the industry for there not to be an easier way or BEST way!
What say every RSA yachties posts their specific method of getting around the VISA issue and we can all deduct the best/poppular method/solution once and for all!

Nikki-lee Davis
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 1:09 PM

I am in the same predicament right now too, I have a south African passport n 30 day shengen. If you return home it takes a week for them to process your long stay visa but unfortunatly who has one week, expecially me as i am a charter yacht. I read that if you have an ancestral brittish visa you can apply for a visa there, can you apply for a long stay visa there or is just applying for short stay? also can you apply for a short stay visa if your one has not expired yet?? ahh all these question .. gosh i wish it was easier.. im still also trying rfind out about seaman's book and were to get them..
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2011 6:59 AM
Just to add to some of the confusion as to why South Africans have problems with visa's worldwide is quite simple. We are not paying for the sins of our fore fathers as one person commented above. The answer is that white South Africans are in possession of the same passport as 45 million black South Africans and the rest of the world does not want the risk of 45 million unemployed black South Africans trying to do exactly what you are doing, that is why the visa application forms and criteria you have to submit is so painfull and difficult because they know that the majority of the 45 million will not be able to meet the information needed to present with your application for visa. The above information has been given to me directly from top brass in Embassies and consulates in the United States, Europe and Scandinavia. Hope this will make you understand your struggle better.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2011 11:49 AM

The answer to all RSA passport holders FINALLY

Once entering the EU on your visa everyone is so concerned about the 90 days you have on it and all the above comments including my own have such great concern about the visa expiring (90 days almost up) but the significant part is the "valid" dates of your visa. It states the acual VALID length of the visa. EG: my visa was issued in feb 2011 and is valid till feb 2012 but is limited to 90 day which is the case with most of us, now considering you are on a yacht weather it be London, caymen IS, bahamas etc registered you are in reality not on french soil (EU Soil) thus you are not using any of the 90 days on your passport. So say you arrived in the EU in febuary and found a job on a yacht and you do the season and winter comes round and you fly back to RSA in August, notice that is 7 months and your visa states 90 days in the EU {SOIL} but you were "on the yacht" so theoretically in the country of the flag so maybe you have used 70 of the 90 days when you went ashore every now and then. SO to regulate this have your captain sign and stamp your seamans book (RSA or seamns of vessel's flag) stating that you were on the boat from date 'x' to date 'x' along with your contract which will have your employemnet start dates, and maybe a letter along with that stamped by the boat (more paperwork the better). So basically the 90 days are only used when you go ashore but when you on the boat you as good as being in egypt as you are in the country of the vessels flag, thus you are basically good for the duration of the visa's valid date which is more than likely 1 year maybe more, at the end of the day immigration cannot prove when you where or wheren't ashore so, so  long as your paperwork state that you where on the boat for the months spent in the MED you are safe until the visa expires. Get a shore pass from the port when you do go ashore which will allow you legally to go ashore without using any of your 90 days up when in port.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 2:15 PM
Has anyone heard of Saffers going to Isreal to obtain your category D schengen, i.e. your Long Stay Schengen? If so where does one go and what papers do you need from the boat to do so? If not, what "boat papers" does one need from the Captain to go home to SA to get the Long stay schengen? To the person above, where does the visa say its "valid" until. I think my visa unfortunately says a specific date which is in mid July. i wish mine was valid for 6 months!!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 4:19 PM
I have just been told that under no circumstances can South African's work in the Med with merely a Seaman's Book. It used to be this way but not anymore. You have to have a category D Schengen Long Stay visa, which can be obtained ONLY from the relevant consulate in SA ( the consulate where the boat first enters the schengen area or where it is spending most of its time). In other words, when Saffers get employed on the super yachts they are required to fly home and sort out their Long Stay Visa with the relevant boat papers. I have also been told that you may have to jump through a series of hoops to even get that visa should you not have the right boat papers, so make sure you have all the right papers and more!!
Michelle V
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 8:45 PM

Hey Taryn (Stacey) Did you manage to find out the agent in Amsterdam that you can go through to organise the transit visa??? Need help desperately!!!
Adam Joel Morilly
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 11:24 PM

Hi Everyone I have been on holiday in the US Santa Monica for the last 8 weeks and my Schengen transit visa has expired and have to meet the Yacht on the 8 NOV.. in Malaga Spain... Any news or ideas to get around this problem and get a transit visa to get working again. Been mailing the Spanish Consulate here in LA like crazy and not interested in my situation or even attempting a solution... Any ideas in this regard would be appreciated...
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:42 AM

Adam Joel Morilly wrote:
Hi Everyone I have been on holiday in the US Santa Monica for the last 8 weeks and my Schengen transit visa has expired and have to meet the Yacht on the 8 NOV.. in Malaga Spain... Any news or ideas to get around this problem and get a transit visa to get working again. Been mailing the Spanish Consulate here in LA like crazy and not interested in my situation or even attempting a solution... Any ideas in this regard would be appreciated...

Did you try contacting your own consulate? They may be able to grease the way for you... Worth a try I would think....

rodsteel
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:15 AM

This article is only a year and a half old:

http://thetriton.com/article/2010/01/lesson-learned-seaman%E2%80%99s-book-must-have

In the court of last resort, it looks like, if you have a Seaman's Book from the yacht's flag state and a letter from the yacht you should have a fighting chance of getting transit permission.

Good Luck,

Rod

P.S. For those having paragraphing issues, just add a couple of carriage returns between each one

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:12 AM

rodsteel wrote:

This article is only a year and a half old:

http://thetriton.com/article/2010/01/lesson-learned-seaman%E2%80%99s-book-must-hav

In the court of last resort, it looks like, if you have a Seaman's Book from the yacht's flag state and a letter from the yacht you should have a fighting chance of getting transit permission.

Good Luck,

Rod

P.S. For those having paragraphing issues, just add a couple of carriage returns between each one

Yeah, I don't really care who you are, if you are a documented seaman from from anywhere, you can transit to anywhere the ship you are lettered to is berthed unless you have a prior issue with that port state to cause a denial of entry. I've worked all over the world and seen lots of people come and go. With a seaman's document (in the US we get a card that fits in your wallet, aka a "Z" card) you can gain access to your vessel. You may be escorted from the airport to your boat, or if you arrive by boat restricted to it (never personally have seen it happen, but have heard of it). But if the vessel you are assigned to is there, you can be there.

aliibtasim
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 8:59 AM

hello all senior forum members , i have got italy schengen tourist visa for one month ,but unfortunately i could not travel during this period do you my father serious heart problem in the hospital .my question is that , 1.wil italy embassy issue me again this schengen visa if i appy again for schengen visa . please help me i really need your help in this regard thanks shakeel
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 2:33 PM
Hi, Im on a south african passport. I went home recently to organise a new visa through the spanish embassy and as I still had 2 and a half months remaining on my previous visa they wouldnt give me a new visa. they told me to go back to my boat and carry on working and when i want to leave europe i must apply for a tranist visa from the port. he said i do not need a schengen when im employed on the boat as its is international waters. so I am back in europe. My question is has anyone organised a transit visa from the port before and is it easy enough to do. Many thanks
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:20 PM
Organising a transit visa can be done very easily. Just speak to your Captain and he will get it done for you!
Sailfast
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:47 PM

Hi Captain Laura, You mention a Seaman's book. Are you referring to a "seaman's discharge book" (from the yachts flag authority)? Is yes then I need to get some ifo on how to obtain a seaman's discharge book for the Cook Islands - anyone with info on this? Furthermore, will a South African SAMSA Seaman's Record book suffice? Or does it have to be a discharge book? Thanks in advance for any help / info / advice.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 4:40 PM
Dublin or Switzerland, have all your documentations in order and ask nicely and they will usely help!

Average 0 out of 5