Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Job security threatened
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:56 PM
Crew agents at this time of the year become clumsy; I recently had my resume forwarded to a boat without my permission and this worries me because I’d don’t want people to think I am looking for a job when I am not. Word travels fast in this business and the last thing I need is to be confronted by my captain about me looking for a new job. Should I tell my Captain this happend and I am not actually looking for work or should I keep my mouth shut? Either way I feel screwed because I am sure he will think something is up and I am looking to leave.
junior
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:43 PM

Whoa !! Insecure or what ??? Ive got a suggestion , but first I smell something bad ? Go change your diapers. Good boy. Now break out your IPhone, laptop, blackberry.....and draft an email to your Crew agent. Be a grown up and begin the email with .... Good Morning !!! then thank the crew agent for forwarding your resume to the new yacht and inform them that you are presently occupied. Then...once again.... thank the crew agent for forwarding your name and encouraging your career. And, since you sound like a superyacht crew..... Always remember to carry a spare set of diapers on watch
Crew Confessor
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 5:35 PM

Apart from the bit about the diapers  Junior's advice is good. 

First speak to your captain privately and explain to him about the mixup.  Do this first because the captain who has received your resume might go way back with your current captain.  These days it's not hard to stay in touch, communication moves at lightning speed so there is no time to waste.

Next, pick up the phone and call the crew agent.  Thank the agent for thinking of you for this position but politely remind him/her that you are currently employed and not looking to make a change now.  Explain that you will follow up with an email that will include all of your current contact information so that in future she will be able to contact you before submitting you for a position, should you be in the market for one.  Leave the agent an "out" to save face, he/she knows that it's not right to submit crew for a position without contacting them first!  That was slack behavior and bad business.  One of the biggest reasons captains use agents is to save them time, not to waste it on resumes belonging to crew who aren't even looking for a job.  In this economy there is certainly no shortage of candidates who are actively seeking work. 

Be civil and polite, send that follow up email, being careful to assert that you are not actively seeking new employment at this current time and that should that change you will contact them as soon as possible regarding your change in status.

It's not the first time something like this has happened and I doubt that your captain will be surprised at all by your story.

Your Crew Confessor

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 5:55 PM
They are no longer called a blackberry,it's a crackberry!!

Average 0 out of 5