Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Refit yards in Florida & Georgia????
Kulta
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 6:58 PM

I am planning a refit that entails engineering, interior and paint. Having only done refits in Europe I would like to know what people think about repair yards in Georgia and Florida? The yacht is 700 GT so she is fairly heavy. I hear hourly rates are about US $65 if you muscle the yard around and have an organized work plan, if thats true I want to know where the hook is?
bjstetson
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 8:02 PM

The best yard in Georgia is Thunder Bolt, the old palmer Johnson yard. Good people just keep on top of them and they will produce in a timely manner. they cost less then any yard in FL. Best of luck. Oh yean they have a syncro lift so yes they can haul you out
Andrew Blatter
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:59 PM

As the publisher of the Superyacht Services Guides (Caribbean / USA and Mediterranean), I can confirm we have received specifically good Captains recommendations for the following yard in Jacksonville... Atlantic Marine Atlantic Marine Florida, LLC is a full service new construction, maintenance, refit and conversion shipyard facility located at 8500 Heckscher Drive, in Jacksonville, Florida. Small or large repairs, new builds or refits and conversions, they came highly recommended for providing “world-class Superyacht services” at a location convenient to both the Caribbean and South Florida. Situated just 300 nautical miles from Ft Lauderdale it has good year round weather conditions and climate. With a drydock lifting capacity for vessels up to 14,600 LT (14,832 MT) with a length overall of 620 ft (189 M), they can haul even the largest of the Superyachts currently under construction. Also available are their Megayacht Enclosures which extend up to 364 ft (114.0 M) LOA and 100 ft (30.5 M) high for topside painting. They currently have over 1,300 ft (396.4 M) of continuous bulkhead, plus 640 ft (197.4 M) and 460 ft (140.2 M) piers, all with full services. The facility is located at the intersection of the St. Johns River and Intercoastal Waterway, only 2 miles (3 KM) from the mouth of the river with 42 ft (12.8 M) of water depth and unlimited air draft. Having established themselves as a leader in the marine industry and being nationally recognized for their superior safety records and stellar environmental record; one comment received noted how impressive and clean the yard was for its size and operation. Their production staff now exceeds 1,000+ and are well trained in all crafts, frequently performing works on the most sophisticated and challenging projects, and working seven days a week, straight time, on a yearly basis. Located on 81 acres of property with over 135,000 sq.ft. (125,415 M2) of covered shops to accomplish blasting and coating, steel and aluminum fabrication, pipe fabrication, sheetmetal fabrication, insulation, machine shop, etc., they are on the cutting edge of technology driven by an internal constant ‘Process Improvement Program’ implemented throughout the company. Another key comment we received, talked about the strength of their management group which is well versed in project scheduling and problem solving; resulting in on budget and on time deliveries. With five daily flights to Fort Lauderdale, and a recently added laundry facility for the crew’s comfort, they have plans for a new crew lounge, and are gearing up to provide a top flight experience from beginning to end. They are also quite happy to arrange lodging in nearby Jacksonville Beach, which is the choice area for beach fun, restaurants and shopping, and is only 15 minutes away. One key fact to note is that Atlantic Marine is as a very private facility, with perhaps their greatest claim to fame being that every single yacht they have worked on has become a repeat customer. Contacts: Tel: (904) 251 1545 Fax: (904) 251 3500 Email: jaxsales@atlanticmarine.com Website: www.atlanticmarine.com
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:29 PM
Thunderbolt Marina in Savannah is very organized and efficient, also a great place to be located. I have just come from there, and was impressed with the yards work.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:45 PM
With Fort lauderdale being one of the yachting capitals of the world there are world class shipyards with highly skilled craftsman and services. I reserve the right to recommend any particular yard but so you have a reference to which can accomodate your needs is Jones Boat yard in Miami, Derectors in FT. Lauderdale and Rybovich in Palm Beach. many businesses cover all these geographical areas and this should be considered when choosing outside contractors and travel expense. I know of some very experienced project managers if you should need and if you are requiring integrated sytems during your refit may I welcome you to visit www.pimarine.net and my personal email is sgondusky@pi-mail.net Best of luck with your search and welcome to the USA
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:20 AM
i would say your best bet is with Jones Boat Yard in miami. I know they can haul out up to 1800 tons on a dry dock. They have complete in house machine shop and cater to the largest yachts in south florida. They are currently doing a complete refit on M/Y Samar, which like you, had always done their yard periods in europe. Samar is a 252ft yacht, that is currently undergoing a complete paint job, and extensive piping and engineering job to lloyds class. You can contact the yard at 305 635 0891. Remember the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area continue to be the hub for all your trades that you would need for any extensive refit. Good luck with the search!
aaurquhart
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:32 AM

Ocean Marine Yacht Center is the place. You can see us at oceanmarinellc.com. We have a clean, competant yard with a 1250ton syncrolift. All work is done inside either of two 250'x80'x80' perfect sheds. You'll love it. Contact Andrew Urquhart at 954 560 5608 or sales@oceanmarinellc.com
maca
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:59 AM

Have just completed an extensive refit, through 2009.
Give me a call on +47 93 22 89 54....

ghank
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:20 PM

Thunderbolt I spent time there and was pleased with their work and service. Don't fall asleep and you will be pleased with the work and the cost.
tana
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:35 PM

Check out Spencer Boat Company at the former Merril Stevens Yard in Miami. 305  394 7849,  john@ spencerboat.com.
Henning
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:53 AM

tana wrote:
Check out Spencer Boat Company at the former Merril Stevens Yard in Miami. 305  394 7849,  john@ spencerboat.com.

I wish them luck, but I would never consider doing an extensive refit in that location. The neighborhood is what put MS out of business, and it hasn't got any better in the last couple of months. Just the daily commute from any place you'd want to live to get there is a nightmare.

Average 0 out of 5