Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Jellyfish
Salvador
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 12:54 PM

Hello Dr Ken!

A few months ago, swiming, I've strongly touched a jellyfish. In that touch I felt like an electrical discharge. didn't worried about that, some burning sensation. The thing is that 3\5 months after it still have a dry skin effect and when cold it gets burn effect...  Can you help me with some knowledge about procedures after jellyfish contacts?

Thank you

Dr Ken
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:52 PM

Dear Salvador

Jellyfish stings can very occasionally cause nerve problems resulting in weakness or numbness that can persist for weeks or months and sometimes can also cause a permanent skin discoloration or scarring at the site of the sting. It sounds like your symptoms may be more sensory than motor and could gradually improve with time but I advise you see a doctor where you are.

On the question about procedures after jellyfish contacts, I devoted our monthly column to this in “The Islander”, a yachting publication here in Mallorca – you can check it out under “Articles” (Sep 2007) on our website www.clubdemarmedical.com 

This deals with some procedures in the immediate aftermath of the sting – for next time!!!!?? There doesn´t seem an easy way out but the severity can be reduced.

ChaseTheWoodGuyFL
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:05 PM

Salvador, you didnt pee on it? thats the 1st thing you do... or if you have vinegar that works too..
I think I learned that in 3rd grade..
Take pics of it if it left a scar...

I live in Palm Beach Gardens, FL & live 2 miles away from the Beach
The other day I went to the beach n there was MAN-O-WAR everywhere
I knew they stung when they where out of the water but I had to get some thrill
out of my day so.... Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP4iHbhMmqE

ThX 4 WatChInG,
Chase~

Salvador
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:18 AM

)   That's great!!!!!  Crazy man to touch one on purpose!!   I was surfing, and wile swiming, bhaam, it one very strongly, my hand in the midle of that thing, " live waters".  But...,  let it for latter!!

Dr Ken , thank you! I've been putting some cream the pharmacy  gave me, and it improve a lot!!! It's a lot better now!! It has been dry skin\scarr but it changed with salt water and cold.

We set sail at 0000 friday night 5ºc and at 1000 my hand in the sting spot was allmost with stripes of  blood, you know, and with that I got scared !!!

Now I believe it's almost cured. I tooked some pics but can't put them in here... I'll update them!!

Once again, Thank you

Yasmin
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:37 AM

The only thing to do with a jelly sting is vinegar, if there is no vinegar then peeing on it may help but thats assuming you have very acidic pee, your pee is normally mostly water. DO NOT rub it with sand or rinse it off in fresh water. there is not much else that can be done, if your glands start to swell up an antihistamine would be a good idea, if the swelling gets worse, or you experience any other side effects, find a doctor. stay out of the water when the conditions are ripe for jellies, generally onshore winds.

Salvador
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:04 AM

Hi

Thank you for your responses. I'm a very lucky person!!! Apparently this kind of jelly fish can do severe damages, depending in the size of Bite, how deep, and, the allergical reactions of each different individual.

Amazing. They leave a kind of sting in the flesh and the poison can stay there for months. In my case, it reacts, oppening wounds, when in contact with sea water (!!!!!) Amazing nature working, for it would paralise\kill it's enemies!!

Also learnned that  if you get a sting by one, the best on the spot is to soak the venom, with baking pouder or some bicarbonat sodium ( don't know the translation) or with alcool.

I'm getting better now, I've put some "curtisone" and now what is working , is to make a paste with marine salt and water!!!

Be very carefull, this things can kill!

Fair winds

Salvador 

Average 0 out of 5