Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Marina in Gustavia, St. Barths
Richard
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:22 AM

We will be attending the upcoming Les Voiles de St. Barths regatta this April. My owner wishes to be on the dock during the regatta period. We don't have an aft gangway but do have a stairs and lower swim deck about a meter square and about 70 cm above the water surface. We feel this may force us to be to close to the concrete dock and we will be too low to accommodate getting onto the dock from the boat. Can any tell me their experience in the St. Barths harbor with the stern to dockage?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:10 PM
We were there last April and had the same problem. We put our dinghy between the dock and the boat. Guests climbed from swim platform into dinghy and then on to the dock. It helps to have a crewmember in the tender to lend a hand and another on the dock to help them up. Don't try to get close enough to get off the swim platform onto the dock directly, there is always a swell in there. Also move further off the dock when guests are not traversing the dinghy "passarell ". Good luck and have a great time!
Coppo
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:29 AM

That place is horrible, I've seen people take an extension ladder, screw wood plans onto it and use it as a boarding ladder.... Good luck
bpomeroy
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:04 PM

A catapult. Preferably large, high powered and easily stowed. Pray for no surge and do you best to manage something. I have seen yachts make a deal with a neighboring vessel when close to each other so that guests from the non-boarding vessel can step over to the vessel equipped with a passarelle. Best bring some nice bubbles for the neighbors as a thank you. Hope your guests are adventurous.
Coolskipper
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:30 AM

Hi there Richard!  been there for a year (!) and found out that to be Happy in St-Barth you need:  (1) a huge credit card with according bank account,  (2) given enough credit, you can buy a gangplank right opposite your docking  at the SCPF shop (stands for Société Commerciale du Port Franc) for an astronomic price.   Another option would be to fix that "passerelle-problem" before getting there - adapting or buying something like a "universal foldable boarding device"...  Seeya, farewell:   Rio
mycaptainchris
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:45 PM

I feel St Barths is a bit like Capri. Not really a good place for yachts, but the owners all want to be there.
Be prepared for big diver bills and big repair bills on your stern.

Beautiful island otherwise.

Dutchie
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:27 AM
Have bin there a couple of times with sailing and later a motor yacht and the swell will make the stay on the dock unpleasant. Being in the St.Tropez of the Caribbean makes it all OK, Don't forget to check out the bar where Jimmy Buffet sometimes picks up his guitar and starts to play (Le Select) Our solution was to make a stern gangplank (we used our side gangplank and Mac Guyvered on it) supported with boom/crane etc. What also worked was lots of fenders at the stern and leaving some more anchor chain out when the guest leave/enter the boat. My solution later on was going to the bay Columbier. It's a short dinghy ride away, and you will probably see some turtles... Good luck, Daniel

Average 0 out of 5