Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Price Difference of Courses between Europe and U.S.A.
Mich
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 8:14 PM

I just checked the prices of STCW basic training courses between Blue Water Antibes and Blue Water in FL. The course is approximately 1275 EUROs in Antibes and $875.00 (todays exchange at about 606 EUROs). The course is HALF the price in the U.S.A.! Ridiculous. Can someone PLEASE enlighten me. Thank you.
Henning
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 1:00 PM

What part of "What the market will bear" of consumer economics are you not understanding? Perhaps in the US the schools are competing with even lower cost programs run by the Community Colleges. Example, it cost me $375 US to do all my STCW-95 Basic, BRM, GMDSS and ARPA& Radar Unlimited refresher in Morgan City Louisiana.
Chief
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 2:26 PM

" ... in Morgan City Louisiana."

The location pretty much sums it up. People in Antibes have to wear shoes and the classrooms don't have mud floors.

That and the fact that Loozianna heavily subsidizes the classes so Gudreaux and the other swamp dwellers will stop poaching 'gators and get off welfare. But, you are right, it's cheap and provides low cost training for carpetbaggers.

Salvador
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 3:36 PM

Lisbon; Portugal in merchant navy school : : STCW95 4 mod = 380€, GMDSS = 990€ (?weird ?) Arpa\Radar = 660+\-€ these two  only only for officials.

And... you'd have to learn portuguese so ....   : )  Maybe not an option!!! just to clear it up to compair.

junior
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:54 PM

Well, ever since the US borrowed all that money from China to buy trinkets, cars , real estate... no money down, got stuck and devalued, stuff in Europe became expensive. Hey !! dont tell me...you demand payment in Euros as crew salary ? Gotcha !!! Oh and The UK also borrowed a bunch and went property, Iphone, crazy..... pound took a hit. London, Gravesend, National Sea Training school, NW Kent College offers good course work for seaman. Price is competitive , good beer, easy women. . http://courses.nwkcollege.ac.uk/search.php?search=stcw
G. Threepwood
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 7:51 PM

Took my GMDSS at NWK/National Sea Training Centre. Best value for money, half the price you pay down Med way. Exellent facility and great instructors. But I wouldn't shout out for the women one might find frequenting the bars in Gravesend, dismal actually! Your both spot on and spot off, Junior!!!

Th. Freeman
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 11:36 PM

Yep. NWKC is the preffered school in my opinion. If you do decide here, make sure you call the college direct rather than go through there online advertised switch board. You'll get an even better rate and they will even customize what you want to do (If you already have first aid and just need the others for example)

14Freedom
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:11 AM

Mass Maritime, if you got four years and can stand being a plebe...
ATB-
The Slacker

John
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:18 AM

Worldwide courses, STCW'95 is an international course, so run in a number of countries. Location, since it now appears to be the minimum entry into superyachitng, could be cheaper when you consider other costs not just the course fee. STCW'95 are run in NZ, Australia and Thailand particularly for superyachts to name a few countries. Now many more are there? John
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 11:45 AM

I decided to follow my father into the industry and have just done my STCW95 with bluewater in antibes for 1050€- the going price at the moment- and it was excellent. So maybe you should contact them directly to find out what the prices are for the states, the prices you mention dont seem right.

I looked into making a holiday out of it and going somewhere tropical but actually some certificates have expiry dates making it more expensive in the long run.

rodsteel
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2010 5:38 PM

John wrote:
Worldwide courses, STCW'95 is an international course, so run in a number of countries... Now many more are there? John

$740 USD at CCC in Astoria, Oregon.

http://www.clatsopcollege.com/maritime/

Rod

Henning
Posted: Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:38 AM

Chief wrote:

" ... in Morgan City Louisiana."

The location pretty much sums it up. People in Antibes have to wear shoes and the classrooms don't have mud floors.

That and the fact that Loozianna heavily subsidizes the classes so Gudreaux and the other swamp dwellers will stop poaching 'gators and get off welfare. But, you are right, it's cheap and provides low cost training for carpetbaggers.

Louisiana doesn't subsidize it, the oil companies do. They subsidize the maritime programs at Young Memorial, LAMPI and Delgato. Louisiana has more working mariners than nearly anywhere, and at one point, if not still, Port of Fourchon was by vessel movement count, the busiest port in the world. When you add Cameron and Morgan City to the count, Louisiana employs a lot of mariners and sees a lot of activity, won't even start in on all the shrimpers and other fishing boats. BTW, carpetbaggers are Yankees, if you live south of Hwy 90 in LA you're a Coonass.

When people in Antibes start picking up garbage and dog crap and not breaking bottles on the streets, they may be able to walk around barefoot as well. Young Memorial and LAMPI both have tiles on the floor.

Chief
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 2:00 AM

"Louisiana doesn't subsidize it, the oil companies do ..."

Nice try Henning, but as far off as most of your posts ... you must be a product of that system. Take a look at how Louisiana funds its 2 year schools and the vocational training they provide.

Average 0 out of 5