Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Simple Green versus Spray Nine
Jeremy
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 4:25 AM

I have noticed that on all the boats, the cleaning products "Simple Green" and "Spray Nine" seem to be used almost interchangeably.  Can anybody explain the main differences between these two products and when it would be better to use one over the other?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bridgewatch
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:02 AM

Hello Jeremy, First of all the best thing you could do is not to use Spray Nine at all. It contains toxic Ethoxylated C9-C11 alcohols that are very bad for sea life and for yourself if you get it on your skin and it also can etch painted surfaces. Remember that alot of the time when we use these products, the waste from them usually find their way into the ocean and waterways. Even their Green Marine version fails to state its ecological information in its MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) specification sheet. It has been traditionally used as a general cleaner with a disinfectant aspect to it but there are so many better more environmentally friendly products on the market to choose from. Check out this link - http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Findings/47/FF47_Mag.pdf - where the Boat US Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean Water compares many of the marine cleaner brands for not only environmentally friendliness but aso for effectiveness. Another thing that many crew don't realize is that many products that are more environmnetally friendly also are darn good cleaners. The traditional Simple Green rates very high in environmentally friendliness especially when used in its recommended dilutions. It is a great degreaser. Simple Green also now has a "Natural" line of products that has all natural ingredients. I would try them out. visit: www.simplegreen.com. Personally I like the Thetford products. visit: www.thetford.com. Because I have done alot of research and tests of the environmentally friendliness of marine cleaners for my web site www.eco-yachts.com, I highly recommend trying your best to use the least toxic products that you can. You would be surprised how well many of them work and do not cost any more than the toxic cleaners that have been traditionally used. The yacht industry is very much behind the times when it comes to environmental awareness especially with the poor practices of many crew. It is very much paradoxical considering that we are inextricably tied to our oceans which are now in trouble due to many forms of pollution. There is alot of good information on my web site - which is growing with more info everyday. Visit the Crew Page and the Bosun Locker to find out more about harmfull chemicals that are found in cleaners. Always try to check out the MSDS sheet for your products (Materials Safety Data Sheet). This is where the truth lies about the products you purchase. Most web sites for the products have a link to the MSDS data for each product. Quite often claims made on the labels of bottles can be deceptive and just relying upon what the label says is not advised. Being that it is the end of the year, this may be a very good time to make it your new years resolution to start off the new year becomming more environmentally aware and educate yourself to all of the easy and cost effective things you can do both as an individual and as a mariner to help protect our oceans and planet. I hope this helps. www.eco-yachts.com
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:49 PM
If you read the instructions, you will see for your self what is better, they are similar products, but different.

oceanrwarrior
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:03 AM

Does anyone use Simple green all purpose cleaner as a general boat soap??

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:21 AM
Good question, and I don't know. Guessing it might not be cost effective, or the best choice for a general washdown product. Overkill I'd think, and goodness that clean green scent might overwhelm the entire marina if you washed the whole boat in it!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:46 PM
Roll off!!! works wonders on canvas spray 9 for cleaning bilges lockers etc. never on paint..

Average 2 out of 5