Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
vulcan Flex Coupling
junior
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:46 PM

Vulcan flexible coupling . Ive got a PTO , Hydraulic load senseing pump, on the front of the main engine. When do you replace the Vulcan bellows ? Its not a question lightly posed. This coupling is buried and requires 50 hrs of backbreaking, tedious labour to replace. In the past I have replaced every 2000 hrs , about 2 and a half years, regaurdless of condition. What is the routine ? How long do they last ? Is visual inspection suitable ? Shaft RPM 1500 with good pump alignment and clean , 40 degrees C operating evironment
Chief
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:07 PM

"When do you replace the Vulcan bellows ?"

Depending on the model of Vulkan coupling, there will be a pair of markings, one on the driving side and one on the driven side. The degree of angular displacement when the unit is at rest indicates the condition. Also inspect the material for oil contamination and deterioration. Vulkan has a pretty good website and their techs are easy to contact to obtain specific information. Always go to the source and always RTFM.

chrismlewis
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:46 AM

Not that it will help you much, but we had to send ours back to the manufacturer for inspection as to its condition before LRS would sign off on it.... It was condemned, but it was extremely old. We had no documentation that it had ever been replaced and the boat was 20yo!

junior
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:20 PM

I took chiefs recomendation and contacted Vulcan. They passed on the name of a local rep, he came down for a look, had me reclean the coupling with soup and water, inspected and told me to reinstall for another cycle.

Average 0 out of 5