Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Royal Navy to SY Captain?
CustomTenders
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:44 PM

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well? I am interested in history and in the Royal Navy and that led me to wonder and if there are any Captains that make the switch from Royal Navy or such like to super yachts or the private sector? It must be an interesting life both sides of the coin regardless, but for someone who is primarily a landlumber the life of a Captain often seems a romantic one... or perhaps I watch and read too much! Olivier
fivestarsolution
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:40 AM

I know an ex-engineering officer who would be a reliable source of feedback. Drop me a line at: Phil@rivieraasset.com I will forward your mail. Phil Walker.
English Andy
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:53 AM

Olivier,  I'm one of these people that you are looking for!  I spent 6 years as an engineer, then got promoted to "drive" submarines as a deck officer which I did for 12 years........ I made the switch into yachting as I raced ocean yachts whilst in the RN and loved the lifestyle!  Ironically, am now Captain and Engineer on a 40m M/Y (qualified for both!!) in the Middle East, and have turned down three offers of skippering "round the world racing yachts" (Clipper ventures, BT Global Challenge etc) to concentrate on motorboating!  Many M/Y Captains can't say that LOL!!! If you would like more information, contact me at Yacht_captain@live.com 

Nearly forgot, there are approximately three other ex-RN deck officers driving yachts that I know of; and even a ex-WEO as Captain!  However, there are far more engineers (approx 18) populating the mega yachts than ex-deck officers!

If any ex-RN guys read this, then please drop my a "maily" to my email address!

Regards

Andy 

Clive C-W
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 11:43 AM

Andy, I know of  at least 5 ex-Seamen Officers driving Yachts, plus others in the Brokerage game.  This is proably not the forum for naming individuals but I'll drop you an e-mail.  When did you sling your hook?  I left this year after 31 in the mob and was lucky enough to get a job straight away.

English Andy
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 12:45 PM

Hi Clive! 

I've been pout 6 years now and am loving the yachtie lifestyle -  ironically, I've seen more of the world in the last 6 years than I ever did whilst in Boats! 

Drop me a "maily" and we'll chat!

Andy

English Andy
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 12:47 PM

Hi Clive! 

I made the break for freedom six years ago and am lovin' the yachtie lifestyle - ironically, I seen more of the world in the last 6 years than I ever did in boats! LOL Drop me a line to my email addy and we'll chat!

Regards

Andy

samjeffs
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 12:11 PM

I am currently in the process of 'jumping ship' and aligning all my qualifications from the RN to those required by the MCA. I have about 18 months left in the RN which is also the same length of time it will take me to do the switch over. Hopefully I can leave the RN and not be out of work too long before I can bring everything I've learnt from the RN over into the yachting industry. Aiming to first qualify as an OOW Unlimited before attempting the Master (Yachts less than 3000gtn) oral board, this was the best route recommended to me by MCA Seafarer Training to get the most out of RN qual's. Hopefully I will see many of you out there within the next 2 years, so any helpful tips or friends I can gain along the way would be fantastic! Sam samjeffs@hotmail.com

Average 0 out of 5