Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Captain's contract
molinator
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:24 AM

Hello' Captains !

I am interested in hearing your ideas and advice on negotiating your personal contracts, when you are moving on to a new boat. In my case it's my first Captain's position, although I've been in the industry for a long time. Moving from First Officer to Captain is obviously a welcome challenge, yet I'm also in a new territory contract wise. What would you be asking for ? (The yacht in question is a 100'er based in the Middle East).
Thanks a lot for your time and input.

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:00 PM

I've got Nutella in my contract LOL, but it really is in there... I've got a great boss with a good sense of humor. One other thing I have in my contract that every captain should have is "Over riding and ultimate authority over all safety concerns." You need to have the authority to tell the owner (or charter client) "No, that will not happen." when someone want to do something unduely hazardous without having your job threatened.
TiffanyS
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 2:49 PM

Expanding a little on what Henning just said, I would try to put into writing what you consider minimum periods of rest between trips and before long or night passages and get it in writing that you are authorized to hire freelance or delivery crew when these minimums cannot be met in order to make sure that crew are sufficiently rested in order to operate the vessel safely. If you have it in writing, then the owner cannot bully you, it is right there in black and white. (Read the What Went Wrong on the Essence forum.)  Also, I would advise that make it clear that the vessel needs to have sufficent petty cash and credit at all times. Sometimes, when an owner is still learning to trust a new captain with the finances, you hear about new captains making the mistake of allocating their own money to cover boat expenses because the boat funds are tapped. Don't ever spend a dime of your own money for the boat, and make sure your boss knows not to even ask! This does not happen very often, but when it does happen, it is a mess. Thirdly, come to an agreement as to who hires and fires the crew. Does the crew work for you or the owner? You want a crew that works for you, becuase you work for the owner.
aeronautic1
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:13 AM

I have a no Jimmy Buffett clause in my conrtract. SERIOUSLY!!

Oh yeah, and CFR 46 - Subtitle II - Part F - Chapter 81 - § 8104 - Watches

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:03 AM
Welcome to the WILD WILD WEST of yachting!!! LOL Put whatever you want in your contract ..... it will be ignored by the owner! Don't forget you will be oncall 24 hours a day ..... literally! As the summer arrives and the temperature gets towards 55 degrees C and 95 percent humidity everyone goes nocturnal. Hopefully, night time temps get down to a cool 35 degrees C. In my engine room last year in August it was nearly 60 degrees in there .... and that is without the engines on! ENJOY your time ....
Salvador
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:01 AM

Congratulations!!

Istill persue\chase a position like that!!  And Î learn thru the advise given to you!! I've even applied to several jobs (deckhands and mates) to the midle east, I think it must be great to work there, have an 100'er : )  and be able to start something new!!!

Hey... Better hot than cold !!   Really. Congrats   : )

Q: Is it the clause to : Revision of contract after  X months experience important? It's what 's coming to mind..

Good luck

Chief
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:35 PM

"Oh yeah, and CFR 46 - Subtitle II - Part F - Chapter 81 - § 8104 - Watches"

Doesn't count for squat on a yacht (pleasure vessel), and unless it's flying an American flag none of the CFRs mean anything more than do those of Mongolia.

A knowledgeable captain knows what flag his vessel flies and which of the flag (and port state) rules apply and when.

Average 0 out of 5