Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
hire americans?????
Ulrica Holmqvist
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:17 PM

So I went to the beach this wknd with my 2nd stew. When we are laying there just enjoying the quietness, just doing what girls do best... This woman comes up to us and apologizing that she is disturbing us but she was just so curious about if we are in the yachting industry??? So we both, me chief stew from sweden and my 2nd stew from south africa smiles and says Yes we are. Thinking that this Lady (around 40) wants to ask us some questions.... WRONG! She then asks us, if I am from northern Europe and if my friend was from South africa, She was right! she then starts going off about that it is illegal for us to work in the states and that we should know that. Also she is making sure that we are aware of the discrimination of the Americans in the industry. That we foreigners are taking all the jobs from them and how difficult it is for them to find a job, she is saying she's been in the industry for 3 years and that she is struggling now to find a job?????? She is now almost crying, continues with that we (foreigners) should really appreciate the industry more and appreciate that we have a job, she finishes it up with "you should also be nicer to americans" Seriously it is people like her that starts these bad reputations, First of all I would never be in this industry if I did not enjoy and appreciate it. No one is forcing me to do this, I do it because I love it. Second, I'm working on a boat where the captain is american and i just hired a junior stew that is american plus one of our deckhands is from Maine! Third of all I am just now buying a house in Florida, because I like it here. So Lady, please don't do this mistake again, It's hard for everyone to find a job today. But to be rude and tell people off just randomly on the beach, WTF!
Ben Franklin
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 12:11 AM

So, I am probably the last person that you thought you would hear this from.
I am sorry that you have had this experience. I know I have posted a few ranting and raving about this subject , a few of which have not been that great. This woman is not a representation of how we normally act in public and treat others here. I might have my strong feeling and opinions but, I can also keep them to myself when I am in public, let alone just approaching someone randomly. I am currently on a vessel that is American, and a couple of people on it are not American by birth, but are citizens, my Mother is British, but has been a Permanent Alien since 1983. To just assume that random people in public are whatever she was getting at, just goes beyond any steam being blown off in this forum. The whole world is fighting for jobs at the moment, and everyone is frustrated, but this was uncalled for.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 2:07 AM

Oh as IF.

Nice colorful story there...from what, a 15-20 second conversation?

If you want to mention on DW about our BIG encounter, please don't lie and portray to viewers on here as if I had "gone off" calling you "foreigners" or blaming you for anything... and as if I CRIED.  I did nothing of the sort. Lying is pretty easy on forums, isn't it?

And how shallow and superficial for a woman like to you to say such. I'm in my 30s thanks very much..not that the 40s is bad or around the corner. I thought I looked younger than you! Hello. And being blonde does not equal attractive or..well, feminine.  I don't even tolerate people being superficial either in this industry. But, please don't try to a pull a stunt like this by mentioning a load of BS.  I was pretty cordial to the both of you, albeit nosey, while trying to enlighten you about the reality of what many Americans may go through. That is AFTER I asked you two on how you received your positions.  You forgot to mention that part, did ya?

When I asked you two on how you obtained your positions, you first said to me that you flew from Sweden. I then asked you if you already had a B1B2 Visa for that particular boat, you paused for a bit, while looking kind of nervous before saying "yes".  I then asked the SA stew, she nervously said "yes" as well.  For what it's worth, I don't really believe you two actually flew in the US with the appropriate Visa in hand for that particular yacht.   Now, since you, Ulrica Holmqvist, have put your name on this forum, do you want stick with your story, or am I right?

You then told me that it was okay to look for work in the States, since they are FF vessels. I think this is the kind of BS people like you are willing to say since you and perhaps the SA second stew- already- know what the Real requirements are as well as those so sexy Loopholes (buying B1B2 at Customs or flying to the Bahamas and back to get one) you're willing to take in order to get on that boat. 

Btw, Mods, I'm saving this whole thread. I expect you or say, Nick, to delete either my post or this entire thread in order to protect those who are committing employment fraud..(i.e. the two stews...and say,,, the American cpt who hired them)....more so than canning the bickering.  Hmmm...wonder what's going to happen.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 3:21 AM

Ruh Roh! Time to get your "Do Not Hire-Debbie" posters pinned back up. She's loose again!

So sorry Ulrica that you have been Debbied. Please do not feed her and what ever you do, do not give her water after midnight.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 3:45 AM
This comment was removed by the moderators because it breaks our forum guidelines. Plain and simple. You do not belong on any forum on this website. It's people like you that you see at waxys sitting in the corner by them self complaining that noone will hire you cause you have no class. Pull your head in....
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 4:09 AM
Debbie, I think I speak for everyone when I say SHUTUP!!!!
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 8:20 AM
Why would anyone answer such personal questions from a stranger? Live and learn. Buying a house, how you found your job and your visa status is NOT information to be shared with a stranger (male or female) on the beach, or anywhere. Next time tell Miss Noseybody to eff off.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 10:31 AM

Debbie, I used to think it was people like you that gave the rest of us Americans bad names.  But now, I realized that you are so pushy and overbearing all on your own, that it isn't people like you, it just IS YOU giving us bad names.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 12:41 PM
Debbie, I think you have missed your calling! Do you know that Thousands of illegal migrant workers cross our borders every day?? I have been trying to find a job picking strawberries for 10 years now! My situation is getting desperate. I think that the folks at border patrol in Texas could really use someone with your talent...and I hear they hire Americans.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 1:19 PM

Why are you blurting out names about an anonymous poster? Maybe you should stop being so defensive.  I'm glad people like Debbie/anonymous/Freedom speaks out for the truth. I'm American, and I get it. For those Americans who dis other Americans trying to speak out for what is right, who's really the idiot in this picture?  "Debbie" isn't the only one complaining about the same issues in this industry.

There are a lot of young American girls who can't even get work at this time, even if they are very pretty and young, including  a good background or education.  All the while, there are people like this Swedish stewaredess and others who come here to look for work and get the job easy peasy. Under the table. It's kind of the same as Waxy's.   Is that fair? What about hiring people based on region while hiring a few foreign nationals to mix things up.  But, do it legally! Pay to fly them out of their home port with the correct papers. And if they get fired they can not look for work, they have to go back home and start the process over again. It's only fair.  I think many Americans in the industry would be fine with that.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 2:28 PM
To the above post, The bottom line is people shouldn't be blaming Swedish, Canadian, South African, Australian, Kiwi's, British or any other yachties for looking for work in America. Your going to get hired if your qualified not because of your ethic background. People like you and Debbie should maybe switch careers if you don't like it....
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 3:36 PM

I'm American and, despite the odds, I've been hired on foreign flagged vessels with no other Americans aboard.  I only worked one summer in New England and 1 month in Ft Lauderdale in five years.  And that was as a female mate and deckhand on sailboats.  It's been F****** hard, but I smiled and did the dirty work, just like any good crew member should.  I earned a great reputation for myself and repeatedly heard, "Wow, you're the first American I have ever liked!"  Basically, stop complaining and coming up with excuses to cover your bad additude.  Nobody wants to be around that kind of negativity 24/7.  If you think it's hard to get a job, try being a American female on deck.  We've got the hardest road to travel.  And whining "Sepos" like you don't help.

Ulrica Holmqvist
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 4:44 PM

So, Debbie or whatever name you have since you posted your reply anonymous. Just want to set the records straight, I have been in the Industry for 5 years on November 16th this year. My first boat I joined in St Maarten, I was flown out there from Sweden where I also got my B1B2 visa at the embassy in Stockholm. Second boat i joined in the Bahamas, where I was flown to from Sweden. I also did some freelance during one summer in Europe and last boat where i am working now I joined in Italy on year ago. So I don't think i have done anything wrong. Also I have never heard such a think that you can buy Visas at the immigration office????? Anyhow Debbie, Smile maybe that will help you find a job!!!!!
clrusher
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 4:54 PM

Being an American citizen, but grown up in Canada, I have not found any hindrance in finding a job on a yacht foreign flagged or American flagged for that matter. I have actually found the opposite, we have an advantage as we can work on any boat in the world. USA is the only country in the world where they will only hire Americans to work on their boats regardless of where the boat travels.

Possibly the problem that Americans are finding is actually to do with the fact they are playing the victims and as Americans usually do think the world owes them something. No doubt if you (Debbie) were hired to work on a foreign flagged vessel and you had to fly to, say, Europe, you would... Am I right? What is the difference?

Its more to do with the work ethic and the attitude that most crew and boats have a problem with these so called Americans. Think positively, work hard, and be open-minded... Change the perspective that most of the yachting industry has with Americans and maybe you will be just as successful and the Chief stew and 2nd stew that you so inherently bashed without knowing the facts...

Good luck to you

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 4:54 PM
Firstly, if someone waddles up to me on the beach and starts asking stupid ass questions like that, I WILL bitchslap the living daylights out of you. Who the hell does this woman???? think it is? American flagged vessels are limited to hiring American crew, so you have your little protected enclave of employment there to fester in. Foreign flagged vessels have the advantage of employing from a bigger crew pool, and therefore do. Don't whinge about foreign crew coming here and taking "your jobs" Learn to compete and stop bitching like this and maybe you'll get a little further in life. As for the American captain hiring foreigners on a foreign flagged boat, did she say she was hired in the US? NO. If a foreign flagged boat spends 3 months a year in the US, the crew does not need to be replaced. The foreign flagged boats support a massive industry in South Florida, larger than tourism and sugar, and directly support 250 000 Americans. Your bad attitude is clearly one of a kind which would explain your lack of employment.  Maybe a position at Homeland Security in McAllen, TX is for you.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 4:55 PM
As an officer on a busy charter yacht, I can tell you that at no point is there any discrimination towards americans Miss Debbie. If you had an understanding of the rules and regulations then you may decide to retract all the garbage that you have written above. The reason you don't have a job is probably because you don't have the skill set or the personal capability to carry out the given role you are setting out for. I would suggest packing bags at publix or better yet use your hospitality skills at subway. There is no descrimination towards any nation working on yachts, however if you look at the insurance companies that cover the yachts themselves, it is their own coverage plan that would exclude certain items... and for good reason. As for anyone from any nation that is willing to work on yachts, the only way you can get a job is if you have the right skills. Right person for the job is what I say! As for the visa issue you've GOT NO IDEA WOMAN... do you understand what a B1/B2 visa is???? I would go to the website and start reading. As a non american working on a foreign flagged vessel the B1/B2 allows us to work on the yachts whilst in US waters. We do not take jobs away from americans, we do however create millions of dollars of revenue for the US economy as we bring these yachts into american waters. I would suggest for you Debbie, a nice warm cup of tea, add 2 teaspoons of cement, and harden the f**k up! You've got too much time on your hands.. instead of complaining get out there and prove urself!
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 5:40 PM
Debbie or whatever your name is, This comment was removed by the moderators because it breaks our forum guidelines Maybe if you change your attitude a little bit and try to work with people instead of against them you would succeed. Right now you are burning so many bridges it's going to be impossible for you to find a boat to work on. I feel sorry for people like you that have to blame other people for their mistakes. It's really sad. This comment was removed by the moderators because it breaks our forum guidelines.
14Freedom
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 6:18 PM

I will speak out and I won't post ANONYMOUSLY!
Get a set people, and if you believe what you say is true and right and justified and worthwhile and defensible, why post ANON?
What are you afraid of ? ICE? Your Boss? Your Job? YOUR OWN VOCAL OPINION?
Dan

Chief
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 6:42 PM

I'm not taking sides in this catfight but would like to correct a couple of wrong assumptions that are fueling the conflict.

"As an officer on a busy charter yacht, I can tell you that at no point is there any discrimination towards americans ..."

Well, that's not entirely correct. It might not come from individual captains or owners but there is a convenient escape clause for those who do resist hiring Americans. I have on my desk, as I type, the "Certificate of Entry" to a European P&I club. Iem number 2 in the list of  excluded coverage is the phrase, "Liabilities in respect of U.S. national crewmen."

That is an institutionalized predjudice against the employment of Americans which has the effect of barring US nationals from employment.

"American flagged vessels are limited to hiring American crew, so you have your little protected enclave of employment ..."

Might I suggest reading the relevant US regulations that cover employment of crew onboard American vessels.

15.720   Use of non-U.S. licensed and/or documented personnel.

46CFR 15.601Use of non-U.S. licensed and/or documented personnel.

46CFR 46 8103. Citizenship and Naval Reserve requirements:

(a) Only a citizen of the United States may serve as master,
    chief engineer, radio officer, or officer in charge of a deck watch
    or engineering watch on a documented vessel.
      (b)(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, on a
    documented vessel -
        (A) each unlicensed seaman must be a citizen of the United
      States or an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for
      permanent residence; and
        (B) not more than 25 percent of the total number of unlicensed
      seamen on the vessel may be aliens lawfully admitted to the
      United States for permanent residence.

(2) Paragraph (1) of this subsection does not apply to -
        (A) a yacht;

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 6:55 PM

Chief, I stand corrected.

Thank you. At least you are civil about it and I appreciate it. Pity this crazy beach woman is not.

14Freedom
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 7:12 PM

Thanks Chief,
I will buy for us and Don Quixote when he arrives from the Med.
Dan

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 8:53 PM
Chief, You're a champ! Love reading your insights and arguments on this website. This forum was getting a little out of control and was venturing of topic a bit. I think EVERYBODY should read and understand the regulations of MCA, USCG before stepping foot on any yacht or ship or approaching people on the beach and getting in a formal discussion or argument. I know not all of us agree on some of these regulations but they're there to protect the crew and owners. To tell you the truth though if someone approached me on the beach( On my day off) and tried to make me feel guilty about being in America and stealing jobs from hard working Americans I'd tell them to make like a turtle and pull their head in. That beach lady's a prime example that crack cocaine and yachting don't mix!!
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 9:11 PM
I'm not defending "Debbie" or anything but if this is true than why can't an american woman who is a college graduate with plenty of relevant work experience (in fact better jobs than this) get a job as a simple Stewardess? I'm an American, I've got 2 college degrees, I've worked in an officer level position for a cruise line and worked as a Stewardess for a year in the Med but now that I'm in my own country, I am struggling to get a job. I don't have this bad attitude that you all claim Debbie has and I have a great work ethic unlike the sterotype. But I must admit that it is extremely frustrating to be here and be unable to get a good job cleaning/serving. We are not talking about rocket science here so when you tell her to go bag at Publix lets really think about the difference? Perhaps she has the right to be upset.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:04 AM

Jesus, I need get a ticket counter. 

Starting off with my fellow, albeit snivelling, Americans who rant against peeps like me and the issues I take over this industry, where in the hell are you Americans anyway? Seriously. Where are you...are you on a nice paying charter yacht... are you on a nice paying Charter mega? Maybe 10 of ya, okay fine. What about the Rest of You....among many of these megas and smaller charter yachts who are owned by Americans?  Tell me, please. I want to see a long list of you American guys/gals on this thread telling--blasting- me that you're working on a mega charter yacht or really nicely paid...or say, well conditioned, new charter yacht.    

And where are you bustling American captains at? Chartering megas too...in droves right?  Right - I thought so. Did you buy that house yet, Ms. American stew..Mr. American Deckie/Mate...Cpt. Now Has Become An Alcoholic Over This Industry?  While You've been stuggling for day work and chartering smaller yachts / private yachts every now and then, did you buy that car or house yet? How about a down payment?  All the while, when you go to (around Lauderdale) Publix or Waxy's or Tarpen Bend or wherever,  you precariously see happy and smiling faces among internationals who are bragging about having a jolly of a time and even buying that house in Australia or SA..that flat in London.   Or some Swedish stew, like Ulrica  who's been recycling her B1B2 from yacht to yacht,  even if ICE is looking the other way, bragging about buying a house in FL. 

People who gain employment illegally in US while working on many American owned yachts  have been buying lots of nice things, going to swell barbies, buying Way too Much Hair Gel,  investing those pretty American $$$...even buying your neighbors repossessed house.  Or hell buying drugs with Your Money, Mr. Yacht Owner from Cali.  

Isn't that swell? 

So - Please keep you head down. Because You are a Coward.  But above all else, You are Dumb. It is people like You, my fellow snivelling American, who deserves to f-a-i-l  in this biz. That and along with the pathetic people who are part of this nasty employment game in the US.

I'm not crazy for saying this, I'm just smart...not wicked smart...just common sense - with a Heart - smart. You digg? No, I'm sure you don't. Your insecurities and naivetee are blocking your brain cells, I GET THAT already. I've been doing this for almost a year.

For some of you, stop drinking or doing drugs or stop telling ME to stop doing drugs..since I don't do them ...but hell, I guess I should with all these drug users riddled all over these charter yachts, maybe I'd go up the ladder faster.  Seems like these drunk/drug induced yachties are doing just fine. Jesus.

And where are the other Americans in terms of  brokers, cpts, recruiters, yacht owners on this forum? Oh I know, many of you are smooging with those who are illegal and Gainfully Employed. You feel the need to do so, because You and Your ilk are too dumb to Not to be obsessed with Money...and perhaps you feel desperate to keep your job anyway. I'm kind of tearing up as I type this. Aww. 

So Our Lesson For Tonight, Ghouls and Goblins of the US,

Stop defending those who are judging YOU and stop putting people like me down as if we are all mistaken about laws and discrimination.  Wake up and smell the Reality.  Stop telling me that I should keep my head down as yourself.  You need to stop being an American Idiot and Realize my friend.

I'm not yelling as I type this, I just mean well, Very Much.   

There is a time and place to "keep your head down" and there is time and place to speak up.  So, yes, what is GOING on with you and your brain, my fellow snivelling Americans?  There is a serious issue with discrimination against Americans ---by way---of illegal immigration.  It did not take me long to realize it, nor should it take you. 

Stop being insecure and apathetic to defend folks like me and Harland, Freedom....yeah the 3 or 4 minorities on this site...Jesus.  And realize that many of these fools who are pretending that they know me or others as being unqualified based on personality or skills. These people don't know me obviously...they are simply making excuses to validate their positons against people like me. Especially if it concerns thier own actions against American law and morals.

Then again, what's worse than the insults on this forum is that most people who read threads like these could careless to even post in order to speak for themselves.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:27 AM

14F,

As I've said before in another thread, I've posted my name before and was constantly deleted. Even if my post was about food ideas or about a movie. 

I think as long as people describe their experiences, and say based on their nationality is fair game. Whether they agree or not...of course.

And for those who constantly tell Me that a positive attitude, experience, good work ethics, diversity among crew is key... um, just so you know, I GET THAT.  I think we all do. Thanks. Really Appreciate it.

So...yeah..I doubt I'm typing - while wasting my precious time and missing out on ABC's "Castle" -  about not getting work based on my personality, skills, looks, work eithic issues, bla bla...I'm talking about discrimination against Americans by way of illegal gainful employment for the past two decades...which includes Canadians like you, Missy! 

I like diversity too...yay...I really do...Yay!!!  But DO IT by planting your toosh in Canada and wait for your B1B2 and the cpt to fly yourself down to FL or the Carib. I'm sure there are enough Canadian or SA or English recruiters nearby. Kay now?..'kay bye.

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:15 AM

Anonymous wrote:
Debbie, I think you have missed your calling! Do you know that Thousands of illegal migrant workers cross our borders every day?? I have been trying to find a job picking strawberries for 10 years now! My situation is getting desperate. I think that the folks at border patrol in Texas could really use someone with your talent...and I hear they hire Americans.

Only if they speak Spanish....

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:31 AM
Please Deb, I say this with all sincerity, you need to get some professional help. Professional mental help. The yachting thing isn't for everyone. It imposes stressors on people that for some is not compatible with a healthy work and lifestyle. I think it is obvious that you are one such person who is just not cut out for even a short lived career in the yachting scene. If yachting is a round hole you appear to be a square peg. You're never going to make a round hole square and there's no point in trying to change yourself to fit in. Give it up. They just don't like you. It does appear that you may have underlying mental issues that may affect your future, and you would be well served to explore professional mental help. Best of luck.
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:30 AM

Well, it comes down to this, you can either complain about the competition and try to eliminate them, or you can give considered thought as how you can improve yourself and beat your competion. I am an American working in this industry. I run a foreign flag boat (my owner had to pony up an extra $4k to the insurance man because of me being American, so there is an issue, but in the overall scheme of things, it is a small issue) and I am the only American onboard. I pretty much landed the best job for me that exists, we have all the toys and then some, and it's just the owner's party, no charter work, and it's all about playing in the water, not in the clubs ashore. The owner is an Aussie, and I replaced an Aussie captain. The owner is strictly hiring on competence, experience and references. He wanted the highest value person he could find and nationality did not play into the equation, neither did pay scale, because I'm sure there are plenty of people cheaper than me. He is not that different from most of the good owners, they look for value, and that's the bottom line. Rather than complaining about competition that you can't change, why not concentrate your efforts at adding value to ones own presentation? Complaining very rarely leads to any positive result, and even when it does, there were other easier, faster ways to solve the problem. One of the things I have always enjoyed about working at sea is that I work with many different ethnicities and have been "invited home" all over the world. Seamen don't typically hold hard and fast to nationalistic thoughts because onboard, you are your own nation, a crew, and that takes precedence over everything. We may rip on each other over things, but when it comes down to it, we have to operate as a cohesive unit or we all suffer.
junior
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:01 AM

And once you've got the yacht Henning its best to play by the rules. THE RULES..the ones I make up, JeJeJeJe ..... says that when you need a crew you show respect to your host nation and look hard for a local replacement. If the yacht is going to spend the season working a major yachting destination like the The South of France , go out of your way and find a French crew. All this nonsense of using the grey zone to hire buddies watching the rugby is a insult to the host nation. Some places I go the lack of local crew working yachts is shocking. When you walk the docks in a port like Palma, with one of the greatest concentrations of yachts on earth, you will only see foreigners. 30 percent unemployment with young people in Spain. If you continue to , year after year, discriminate against local crew you will enrage the locals and the results will be bad for us all.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:51 AM
With all due respect Junior (and I mean that, the respect part) you are running a yacht that operates on a seasonal basis, albeit an incredibly busy seasonal schedule, but seasonal nonetheless. Most of the boats that are being talked about here, ex. Capt. Hennings command, don't have an off season. They are on the move all the time. When a crew person is hired it is with a long term vision, not a summer season in mind. Thus the crew person must fit into the puzzle of the existing crew not for four months but for hopefully the next 18 months or more. Some larger yachts do have both the need, and room to hire short term crew in the areas that they are cruising. Their knowledge can be invaluable in myriad ways. One must also consider language, and how the token "local" crew person might feel should they not be outgoing and gregarious enough to overcome the onliness of his culture. And are they fluent enough in your tongue to carry out orders on board? I suspect by now you are speaking three or four languages pretty well, but that is three or four more than many captains can speak.
junior
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:46 AM

Of course the crew you hire has to fit into your program. I say be wise. I listen to the disgruntled background noise in all the major ports and I believe part of the problem is captains behaving unethically when hiring crew. It is unethical to sail to the United States and not give preference to American crew. Are you telling me that some traveling, see the world, Kiwi kid is somehow more suitable for employment over some traveling, see the world, French kid. ? Almost the whole yacht fleet operates on the same merry go round, Med, Caribbean, North America cycle. Logic says the the crew makeup in the fleet would be heavily biased toward these regions. Since Ive been with this yacht we have done many turns on this merry go round and I have come to the conclusion that proper etiquette means bias your crew to favor these regions.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:08 AM

"Firstly, if someone waddles up to me on the beach and starts asking stupid ass questions like that, I WILL bitchslap the living daylights out of you. Who the hell does this woman???? think it is? American flagged vessels are limited to hiring American crew, so you have your little protected enclave of employment there to fester in. Foreign flagged vessels have the advantage of employing from a bigger crew pool, and therefore do. Don't whinge about foreign crew coming here and taking "your jobs" Learn to compete and stop bitching like this and maybe you'll get a little further in life. As for the American captain hiring foreigners on a foreign flagged boat, did she say she was hired in the US? NO. If a foreign flagged boat spends 3 months a year in the US, the crew does not need to be replaced. The foreign flagged boats support a massive industry in South Florida, larger than tourism and sugar, and directly support 250 000 Americans. Your bad attitude is clearly one of a kind which would explain your lack of employment.  Maybe a position at Homeland Security in McAllen, TX is for you."

You would bitchslap me? Really?  If you're so sure about that, why don't you come and meet me somewhere, and you can just waddle up and show me. Name the place and time. Hope that was clear enough. 

And again, for those Americans who are perviewing these threads for thier perviewing pleasure and highlighed entertainment while doing zilch, zero, nada on behalf of people like the two or three of us who have spoken out  about these very serious issues, What Do You think about this gorgeous poster's comments about US festering on US Flagged Yachts? Any thoughts?  Any thoughts about my attitude as being one of a kind according to this poster? Doesn't anyone besides a few of us share the same views..and attitude?    This poster is probably being paid by an American.   Knock knock, anyone home?

Not that I ever wanted to put down Americans in this industry over these matters, at least not like this, but ya know....here goes...I wish I can meet a bunch of you American yachties/yacht owners/brokers, etc. who enjoy a**  kissing just to get jobs, money, commission, friends, connections, more a** kissing, foreign accents, or in order to get snogged,  I'd paint ball you all! Yeah, I said it, moderators, but I guess if you can allow the above poster's comments along with names mention  while You've behaved as hypocrites in constantly deleting my posts about people doing wrong, sometimes not even mentioning names, I guess you can allow these comments to post as well.

Fair enough?

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:33 AM

"Please Deb, I say this with all sincerity, you need to get some professional help. Professional mental help. The yachting thing isn't for everyone. It imposes stressors on people that for some is not compatible with a healthy work and lifestyle. I think it is obvious that you are one such person who is just not cut out for even a short lived career in the yachting scene. If yachting is a round hole you appear to be a square peg. You're never going to make a round hole square and there's no point in trying to change yourself to fit in. Give it up. They just don't like you. It does appear that you may have underlying mental issues that may affect your future, and you would be well served to explore professional mental help. Best of luck."

As it is beneath me to reply to cryptic garbage like this, this comment is just another part of the Craziness.  

Kind of gives me the chills just reading stuff like this..zeesh.  I want to say to a few on here who support my views, or at least some of them, that I have been victimized via email, illegal background checks (as if to worry over), as well having been confronted by people like this poster.

This industry is not about a popularity contest,  it's about hard work, respect (and respecting Laws), being sociable, being a good learner, a good supervisor, learning exciting things and sharing exciting moments, and yes, the money and travel as well.  Some of you people *need* to keep in mind that those who are calling the "shots" on how people should "behave" or "where they should be from",  and even their physicality - may not be the yacht owners themselves - as it is the crew...at least by now anyway. And most of the crew who are calling the shots are not from these parts...or rather, ports. I'm not against this industry being international, but many of these crew members who work on American owned yachts (usually illegally)...make some nice change, while You, yes You, are still looking for work.

How do you feel about that, Americana?

I know I type a LOT of words on this forum and not that I act all that coherent myself especially when I'm blitzed out mad, but I believe that many of the replies I've received are coming from posters who don't really Read much of my WORDS. That - or there is sort of a lack of intellectual and critical thought process.  Then again, many yachties could give a shiz about what people like me have to say. Yes! I'm aware!  I'm seriously not trying to offend when I say this, it's a small concern I thought I'd share as well, and of course,  I don't expect that everyone should read what I have to Say either

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:21 PM

"Of course the crew you hire has to fit into your program. I say be wise. I listen to the disgruntled background noise in all the major ports and I believe part of the problem is captains behaving unethically when hiring crew. It is unethical to sail to the United States and not give preference to American crew. Are you telling me that some traveling, see the world, Kiwi kid is somehow more suitable for employment over some traveling, see the world, French kid. ? Almost the whole yacht fleet operates on the same merry go round, Med, Caribbean, North America cycle. Logic says the the crew makeup in the fleet would be heavily biased toward these regions. Since Ive been with this yacht we have done many turns on this merry go round and I have come to the conclusion that proper etiquette means bias your crew to favor these regions."

Thank you, Jr!  I was about to reply to that poster as well, but I think you took the words out of my mouth.  When I was an illegal alien in the Med, obviously based on my ignorance and perhaps, arrogance..(and there was a price I did Pay...like being an American in France!), I HARDLY saw French crew.  It was the same "merry go round" of Anglo national crew/non-American...not very international..or even very European.....but very Anglo national.  Then again, as an American or if I were French/Spanish/Italian working around mostly Anglo-Nationals from outside the States, I'd probably would feel, well, sad and lonely.   Just sayin.

And for those who will use the "racist"..."ethnicist"..."no class" card...please don't bother.  Maybe these kinds of (aggresive) posts can help induce a healthier melting pot in the future...as well as sincerely qualified crew!

And btw, you know what class really is? Class is about integrity and honesty..among other things.  Not so much about a certain "style" of communication.

This is going to get DEEP for some of you, but Class is more substantive than once projected in the past. It's  not really about holding matters inward all the time,  keeping your head down all the time when there is a time and place to speak up, etc.  Something some of you need to be reminded of...    

I could be wrong when I say this - this is going to be painful for me to say - but I think more Americans and some particular European nationals may understand what the hell I just said .  If not, maybe you can re read it... I dunno know...

Henning
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:01 PM

Anonymous wrote:

I know I type a LOT of words on this forum and not that I act all that coherent myself especially when I'm blitzed out mad, but I believe that many of the replies I've received are coming from posters who don't really Read much of my WORDS. That - or there is sort of a lack of intellectual and critical thought process.  Then again, many yachties could give a shiz about what people like me have to say. Yes! I'm aware!  I'm seriously not trying to offend when I say this, it's a small concern I thought I'd share as well, and of course,  I don't expect that everyone should read what I have to Say either

Deb, I've read a lot of your words, I do give them critical thought process. One of my thoughts is that if you can hide all your anger and negativity that you show here while you are at an interview and make me believe you are actually a bright smiling happy person, you can just forget this chump change industry. You have acting abilities worthy of one who ownes these boats. You've been complaining for years about not getting hired because of whatever the reason of the week is, agism, nationalism, sexism, hair colorism... there's always an -ism that you're blaming. There are a few of you complaining about this. There is a large portion of Americans working in this industry right now. What is the reason they are working and you aren't? Could it be ability? Could it be personality? What is on your CV that makes me want to say "Hire this person."? What have you done to make your package more attractive than whomever you are competing against? You mention Waxy's a lot and you seem to know what goes on there. Why? Let me give you a hint, there is no one you will even want to work for that you're going to meet at Waxy's. If you act at Waxy's as you do here and on the beach, I would hazard to say that may be a detrimental factor in your finding a position. If what you have got going isn't working for you, why not try changing up the things you can control, rather than complaining about the things you can't? The primary reason Americans are discriminated against in the industry is attitude, plain and simple. We have a perceived stereotype of having bad attitudes and being complainers who will sue at the slightest infringement. You and 14Freedom and the couple or three Anonymous gutless whiners, do nothing but foster (or should I say fester) that attribution. In essence, you are doing Americans in this industry a much greater disservice rather than any benefit you may be deluding yourself of. Try a little critical thinking on for yourself, because I am tired of getting discriminated against because everyone in the world thinks all Americans are like you.

Salvador
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:41 PM

Hi, all!

Trying not, but have to get in!!!!!!

Thanks for all the Info. Well, for now, from me the US Gov is already winnig!!! You're already making money with me, and I'm still in Europe!!! To work in yachts while in US waters, mistakenly applyed and payed for green card!!So, I'm ok, and since I'll have to pay also for the visa... It's only fair for me to get to work for at least a few days in another piece of land in this globe I live in...

I also think  it's very simple. I do believe (like J Lennon) that ... IF there was no countries (borders, burocracy) there would still be Oceans, and Ships, and People willing to go on them, everywhere, because it's what they want to do, they focus, work for it and do it well! There would also be Nationalities and origins, I love my origins and cultural dna and also love to meet other (all) nationalities. I don't believe in stereotypes...

People get what they work for, ask, and want, even if they don't know it!

Studying....

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:08 PM

'"You and 14Freedom and the couple or three Anonymous gutless whiners, do nothing but foster (or should I say fester) that attribution. In essence, you are doing Americans in this industry a much greater disservice rather than any benefit you may be deluding yourself of. Try a little critical thinking on for yourself, because I am tired of getting discriminated against because everyone in the world thinks all Americans are like you."

I'm going to give you some forwarning, please refrain from constantly seeking others out by names or trying to instigate matters through false information along with your bad reputation, or I will discuss my experience on a particular gig.  So please. I don't want to entertain a bunch of foreign crew or American crew for that matter over arguing with another American over stupid issues and attitudes.  We all KNOW how to behave on yachts...or how to behave else where when it may matter. So again, I'm forwarning, if you push this for the sake getting a rise out of me or perhaps others on here, my words about a certain someone will probably make you regret what you're trying to pull right now, Cpt. Henning. With all due respect. I have been harassed in other venues/email...none of us needs this kind of treatment. Thanks.

14Freedom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:03 PM

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! and all the posts!
Seems a nerve has been hit...all in the same vein.
Not my words, but so many others are more eloquent than myself.

The peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: "Our country -- when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right." - Carl Shurz

Dan

14Freedom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:41 PM

Anonymous Posted: 27 October 2009 18:17
(paraphrased by poster) from the NAFTA post:
The ALL CAPS came from the ANONYMOUS poster...

...and protect, enhance and enforce basic workers' rights; AFFIRMING their continuing respect for each Party's constitution and law;
encouraging employers and employees in each country to comply with labor laws and to work together in maintaining a progressive, fair, safe and healthy working environment;

Put that in your pipe and smoke it you Anti-Canadian lovers!!

I just about busted a gut! I love Canadian bacon, Vancouver and Bruins beating the Canadians. Gotta take a break for a smoke now.

Dan

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:17 PM
Marry me Debbie?
Lukee
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:36 PM

I agree the theme of this topic has been glazed over just a wee bit.

Debbie... plain and simple, for everything that I've read, you have done yourself no favours!  As first officer on a yacht much like the anonymous officer early on in this post, you have turned this topic into a circus and also a personal bitching contest powered by your own ego.

The facts by the majority all point to the same thing.  The foreign flagged yachting market is just that...Foreign.  They have no home port and they travel all over the world.  The yacht I'm so gainfully employed on has 3 americans on board and I have a number of american friends on yachts all over the world.

The employment criteria for me and has always been competence and the ability to fit in socially.  Albeit you sound like you would have a hard time fitting into any small crew environment with the issues you are so happy to talk about.

We work in a very niche industry, working for some of the wealthiest people in the world.  It is not a right but a fantastic opportunity open to the right people for the right job.  The right person has to have a strong work ethic and also the ability to speak english.  I've seen all number of people from all over the world try their luck at getting a job on yachts.  For some this wasn't their time and or they found that after working on a yacht for a short period of time found that this lifestyle wasn't for them. The industry has grown in leaps and bounds and has created numerous jobs all over the world to supply the demands and needs of this industry.  It has also changed dramatically to become a very professional industry and with that the demands on the calibre of crew increase.

Miss Debbie, I would have to say that for you to be part of this industry you really need to take a serious look at whether this is the right industry for you.  Like I tell everyone, if you complain or are unhappy about the situation then there is only one person that can help you... that person is YOU!
Seriously the amount you have complained in here has only helped convince everyone that you are not suited to working on yachts.  We need happy proactive people as the job is hard enough!

14Freedom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:42 PM

How did this all come about as being about Debbie?
Please tell all you ANONYMOUS POSTERS/POSERS.
To whomever issued that proposal to "Debbie", are you looking for a green card or a patriot?
Oh, that's a rhetorical question.
Put on your thinking caps people!
Dan

14Freedom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:11 PM

A little humor for those that possess it and for those that don't. Don't worry about the link, Jimmy Kimmel is a founder of the site...paste into your browser. TOO FUNNY!!!

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/aeeca22daa/illegal-immigrants

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fe4086c5f4/clarence-explores-freedom-of-speech-from-wondershowzenfan

www.funnyordie.com/videos/240b87d05f/wonder-showzen-whats-jim-drawing-from-themtv?rel=auto_related&rel_pos=1

It's good to think and to laugh even if laughing at yourself!
ATB-
Dan

14Freedom
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:53 PM

Dear ANONYMOUS.
Please read all my posts (via you DW account and click on my name/pic) and tell me how, in detail, that you find me to be anti-pick your nationality.
So hide behind the skirt...you know what I'm talking about. That goes for the rest of you ANONYMOUS posers. (no spelling error)
ATB-
Dam

14Freedom
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:45 AM

Holy Smokes!

Just got a reference that I had to share...

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/254276/october-26-2009/job-recommendation-from-stephen-colbert

Get a sense of humor, all is not as dire as I predict.

With a hearty laugh for those who take themselves too seriously,

Dam - I mean Dan

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:47 AM

Ahh Lukee Dear,

Tsk tsk. Maybe you can refer to the post on this thread : Posted: 27 October 2009 02:27.  

Obviously, you think you know how some folks on here (or "Debbie") work among crew.  You and your ilk have constantly spewed the same BS rhetoric -  shiz slinging game since 2008. Yet posters like yourself seem to just not pay  attention to posts by other people or by "Debbie" for that matter.  Btw, I actually try my best to READ other's views on this forum, even if it's vile and degrading to me or someone else. Do you?

I think people like you fail to read and realize that some of us as yachties have always touted how crew should treat guests, owners, and other crew. It's NOT rocket science...and again (times a Gazillion...since obviously something is not clicking), it's not that challenging to be a stew or a deckie...long hours, grunt work, yes..fine...but this is not about how difficult it is for me or anyone else to work with other crew members or owners (even if one does work around a bunch of over bearing, territorial a** hats in their career..it's not a big deal, I get that.)....the message that I've tried to convey on DW has been primarily about ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION/GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT in American ports by crew candidates including discrimination against nationalities especially against  Americans on thier own turf.  Why should you or anyone else for that matter need me to repeat this over and over again? Seriously, what is going on in your membrane? 

Maybe a response like yours has more to do with defending one's own livelihood since obviously I'm referring to people like You who have committed employment fraud in ports where people like You were required to have a specific visa..instead you probably went through the typical loopholes that others have swam through, right? Or am I wrong?  Can your silly excuses on how yachties should behave on yachts...WE ALL UNDERSTAND THAT. You don't like this kind of "spewing" and attitude by people like me on these forums, but you seem too dimwitted or in denial  for some of us NOT TOO. Ding ding ding!  Anything clicking yet?

I and few others have been YELLLLING over this for years..decades. And no one listens, except when they need to find out who to keep out of this increasingly nasty Gated community.  I highly doubt you are willing to grasp and see other people's viewpoints, attitudes, concerns about this very important issue which is being discussed on a F-O-R-U-M...NOT on some yacht that we're all working on. How about this. (and boy have I been crass lately) Why don't you go to beddy bye, suck your thumb, think about some of this, and go nighty night! Maybe you'll realize, mate.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:22 AM

We know it's Debbie because we've listened to her rant for the past year.  She uses multiple personas as she gets kicked off of Dockwalk each time.  Capital letters, bold font, eerie smiley faces...

Just one question:  Are you even capable of a coherent thought?  Reading your rants is as disorienting as doing the Truffle Shuffle on an Indian ferris wheel.

gabbi
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:59 AM

Debbie , what I'm not getting is the girls said they Have their visas.... So why are you still being such a pain? And even if they didn't it's not your responsabily, your a stew, go clean something then go back to your hole... You get hired because your a good crew member not because of your nationality and schooling and previous careers are irrelevant, why the hell would you hire a lawyer to do deckwork when you have someone who has experience and licenses? So everyone is over you, if we wanted your opinion we'd rattle your cage for it. Thanks gabs
benjaminfisher
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:37 PM

I am an American running an American flagged vessel. I wish that more American owners would put the American flag on their boats as a show of patriotism. There is no tax benifit to foreign flag your vessel if you follow certain guidelines. I hire foreign crew. Americans can work on foreign flagged vessels. There are seamnas visas that allow for US Flagged vessels to carry forign crew into American waters. But we are Americans. We have made our own bed when sending all of our other jobs offshore, the yachting industry is no different. As long as people are following the laws that have been set to protect the American people, then we have nothing to complain about.

Also, America has been built on diversity, I have no problem with foreigners coming to our country, just follow the rules to be fair to the others that do.

I like the anonymous postings when we are discussing issues that may reflect a vessel that we are working aboard, but please, if you want to make a comment you should be able to express your opinion without hiding.

steelbeach
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:32 PM

Benjamin Fisher seems to have hit the important points using only a few words.

Average 4.5 out of 5