Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Open Letter to Dockwalk....
Henning
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:51 AM

Your moderation policy has gotten out of hand and ridiculous. It appears that the moderators are having reading comprehension problems as they keep deleting compliments paid. Is the moderator a native English speaker or not. There is even useful and to the point commentary being removed for reasons I am having trouble fathoming. The best way to moderate a forum is to eliminate anonymous posting as it then self moderates through accountability. You are really becoming annoying with this, and if it continues in this fashion, I'd suggest everyone move their yacht forum activity to http://www.yachtforums.com where the moderation policies seem to be a bit more sensible.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:59 AM
Thank you Henning, I wrote a similar message on another thread...
CaptErik
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:47 AM

I totally agree, this anonymous crap has got to go.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:19 PM

Yeah, down with anonymous....wait, I'm anonymous, down with me...?

By the way, who is Junior anyway...a completely anonymous captain and one of the most vocal on this forum. He might as well be anonymous.

Chief
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:41 PM

I too question the level and quality of the moderator's actions on this forum. It seems a bit heavy-handed and not well targeted. There may well be a language issue.

As far as anonymity goes, keep it. It provides for good input from those who might not otherwise speak out. There will always be idiots posting, anonymous or not. Anyone can register and use a fake name. My name isn't really "Chief" but there are reasons why I don't care to use my real name. If I had to then I wouldn't post much. Which of course might be very much appreciated by many readers ...

I think it's worth wading through the anonymous garbage (they tend to be short posts anyway) to read the honest opinions and thoughts of others, even if I don't agree with them or am offended by the content. It's a big world and we are mostly adults I hope, I will protect myself, I don't need or want a moderator or a vetting process for those who post.

Henning
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:48 PM

"Yeah, down with anonymous....wait, I'm anonymous, down with me...? By the way, who is Junior anyway...a completely anonymous captain and one of the most vocal on this forum. He might as well be anonymous."_______________ Correct. Anybody who ever used the old Usenet forums understands the folly of allowing anonymity. Without moderation, epic flame wars between participants ensue. With moderation epic flame wars between participants and moderators ensue. Heck, epic flame wars between sockpuppets of a single participant will ensue just because humans as a species, if not held accountable, are not very nice. That's why private boards require registration, because they can get sued over this stuff when it goes IRL and they need to be able to shut people down. But that doesn't prevent problems from occurring, it just attempts to limit liability. In order to behave like civilized humans, people must fear retribution by the community, they must be accountable. There are very few points and thoughts that are expressed here that are posted in an inflammatory way that brings about little or no constructive discussion, that given a person be required to post under their real identity, couldn't and wouldn't be worded in such a way to be reasonable and generate more useful discussion. Anonymity just brings out the Troll in people and they think "look what I can get away with..." See how many of these characters you can spot on this board......http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/
Henning
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:52 PM

Chief, the solution that some boards use is to allow pre approved anonymous posting, IOW, it has to go through a moderator before it ever gets on the board. Very few professional boards allow free range anonymity.
Chief
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:57 PM

"Very few professional boards allow free range anonymity."

That is why the troublemakers just use fake info to register. Anyne can get a free email account and register.

Fitzy
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:08 PM

The moderators on this website are horrible. I have had posts be picked apart to the point where you couldn't understand what was written. What is the point of having this forum if you can't voice your opinion. I understand that there are some idiots out there who abuse it but c'mon. Be better at your selection of posts that you delete. It's a free world. Let people speak there mind.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:04 PM

For those who demand to take anon posting off, your expectations are unreasonable. 

That is simply because anyone can make up a name, a pic, etc...but I do agree people should be allowed more leeway in sharing thier views. Keep in mind DW is moderated and supervised by English internationals outside the states. The BBC forums are the same way, you can say something without ever being accusatory or disparaging, and they will delete asap! It's almost cryptic. In the US, we tend to be more ...I don't know, what's that word...mmm...oh right, dipl-o-matic...and umm... indi-vi-dual-istic.   

I used to proudly show my name and pic, but I was hounded and emailed [through personal email accts] by some who disagreed. I was threatened to be punched in the face. I was called a "a gay name".

My account was deleted for speaking out on certain issues even if I was never profane or calling people "names" persay. Okay- I did call this one person an "egg".  This guy, who I can't even believe is in yachting and is a cpt, is still harassing me to this VERY day. Iyy.   So anonymous posting sometimes is necessary. Let's not forget how one's views can hurt their livelihood in this industry just with one post !  

junior
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:37 PM

Anonymous can be useful but around here its overused. Much of the anon posting is simply ill conceived graffiti. Anon posts have no context or continuity. Continuity is important. Poster "Chief" could very well drop a 5 lb ball peen hammer on his toe, be mad as hell and then fire off some outrageous post. But since Ive read Chief's posting in the past, I know he is a well considered , correct type and that I should simply waite until Chiefs toe stops throbbing for any new insights. . Incidentally my sources inform me that Chief is really A middle aged woman, working in a Newfoundland cannery, named Ophelia Balls. As to the Anonymous poster who is afraid some guy is going to give him a bloody nose, Id say mind your manners. If you walked into the pub and start shooting your mouth off, making personal accusations, you might very well get a black eye. You should also use discretion and mind your mannners on forums.
Pascal
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 2:14 AM

a forum is only as good as its members...  personally i come here less and less  as I find most threads and posts to be somewhat entertaining but really not that interesting.  Kind of like picking up a tabloid or people magazine when you're waiting at the doctors office...

I can understand allowing Anonymous postings in the Crew confessor threads/forum but on other threads it only dilute the content.

then we have the Blog section where many entries are promotional/spam or simple posts that belong in the forums more than in  a blog.

Nick
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:04 PM

Speaking as one of the moderators, it can be quite challenging because it is so subjective. What one person thinks is funny, another person takes offence to. We each have different levels of tolerance so where do you draw the line? Moderate too much and you get accused of censorship, moderate too little and it degenerates into a free-for-all where people think they can say anything they want to.

We’ve had numerous discussions internally about whether we should continue to allow anonymous posting. Our reasoning for allowing it is that some of the subjects being discussed in the forum are quite controversial or sensitive. Letting people contribute without revealing their identity gives them a safe place to express their opinions and stimulate the discussion. And I still think this holds true in the vast majority of cases, although there are always going to be exceptions.

Personally, I’m not sure that removing it will have an impact on the comments people make because, as several people allude to above, members can still hide behind a false name and picture. And we moderate as many “non-anonymous” posts as we do anonymous ones. But I acknowledge that it can make it difficult to follow a thread because it’s not easy to distinguish one anonymous poster from another. It’s a really good point, and something we’re considering.

We’ve also discussed whether to moderate all comments before they appear on the site, but we think this is overkill. We keep a close eye on what is being said, and intervene when we feel it is necessary.

At the end of the day, we’re doing our best to find the right balance and to create an environment where we can have informative, open and lively discussion where everyone feels comfortable participating. But obviously that’s a matter of opinion too.

Of course, if you disagree with anything I’ve said you can go and [comment edited by moderator].

junior
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:34 PM

Chill Nick. I think you generally do a correct job. Difficult to be all things to all people.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 4:32 PM

Nick,

You were doing so well, so professionally, it was almost inspirational...and then the last line... I am a little  disappointed .

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 5:12 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised that DW would allow moderators to act in this manner. Seems like they are pretty much a "like minded" bunch. Not very professional in all seriousness.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 6:14 PM

SERIOUSLY!?!? Come on people! He's obviously trying to take the piss on this one and make light of it. Everyone on here takes things so personally until someone takes their little "jokes" personally and then it's how dare someone get upset with that.

Lighten up, have fun with it.

rodsteel
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:28 PM

Chief is correct, without anonymous posting it is still possible to remain anonymous. However, the advantage of requiring at least an "avatar" or "alias" is that thread continuity from individual posters can be recognized. The disadvantage of the same "anonymous" designation for several different posters is that you have to "guess" which anon is which.

Rod

P.S. I believe moderation of vulgar language and elimination of inappropriate personal names is all that should be necessary.

Alistair
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 4:50 AM

This is the first time in a long time that I have posted on this forum and it will be the last, as I get these emails that are sent out by dockwalk about contentious subjects which have no bearing half the time on the job we do but are just put out there by some back room fool who has probably never done this job!
AND then when the forum gets a bit too vocal on a thread that they started out comes the censor!!! what kind of bulls**t is that.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 7:28 AM
Not much Dockwalk can do about forum content. Forums are user generated. If the user has nothing worthwhile to say the forum goes downhill. As far as moderator policy , most important to scrub out any xenophobic name calling. Makes yacht crew and Dockwalk readers look like knuckle dragging trailer park dwellers.
Henning
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 8:38 AM

Why scrub the truth? People really feel that way, no sense trying to polish a turd. If you scrub it sparkly clean, then people won't know there's a problem that needs correcting. It's like the first step at AA, you have to admit there's a problem. Heck, there's some crew to call them trailer trash is a step up....

Average 0 out of 5