Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MCA ORALS -FT LAUDERDALE - NOVEMBER 16th -19th
Mike French
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:32 PM

The MCA has agreed to send an examiner to Ft Lauderdale during November.  These oral examinations are being jointly hosted by IYT annd MPT.  Oral preparation courses will be held together with a 'mock' oral exam to help with preparations.  Advice on the application process for NOEs is also available through IYT and MPT.  The number of slots is, of course limited.  Please get in touch if you are eligible and interested.

For further information contact:
IYT +1 954 779 7764 www.yachtmaster.com
MPT +1 954 5251014 www.mptusa.com

scottyengineer
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:22 PM

The MCA  should have had a full service  office  a  long  time ago....................having to deal  with  Southampton  in  UK  is a pain
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:16 PM

When I was doing my courses 10 years ago (at Warsash) we had people who had come from IYT to sit a last course. The stories shocked me at how the exam procedures went on that side of the ocean. We felt cheated when we heard of open books and exam questions being discussed during exams. At least we felt we were doing things the "right way". I believe and hope that this has changed since those days.

We, as students actually brought the subject up with an MCA examiner that was attending a retirement party at for a teacher at Warsash. After a brief discussion with someone whom we might be sitting across a desk from for a future exam we learned that it was not our business! The same examiner had been on several trips to FLA to "visit the school" and assess (I won't mention the hotels and perks).

Oddly enough the questions about whether the same standards applied to all school really touched a nerve.... Any comments????

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:21 AM
What ever happens, you still have to get past the Oral
Dave
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 3:02 AM

Big brown bear. Why is there not an examiner here full time? Pompous poms. I have the option of either MCA or USCG and the lack of an MCA examiner here, has sent me the CG route. At least the candidates don't have to waste money flying to the UK now. Next trick, get someone with a brain to mark the Y4 exams as opposed to some clown Scottish chick in the Shetland Islands reading from a cheat sheet.
sencho
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:16 AM

Anonymous.

I sat MCA orals nine years ago in Fort Lauderdale and there were certainly no open books during any examination oral or module....

The module courses all had strict examination conditions and the oral was (for me) a 3 hour interrogation that I will not quickly forget. All other candidates taking the orals had similar experiences... many, especially those who had not prepared correctly, failed. One 'captain' told the examiner "I'm still a f***ing Feadship captain!" as he was bounced out of the examination room after 20 minutes for making a mistake.

The were no easy routes through. I did courses through IYT, Warsash and MPT, and although facilities differed in quality and arrangement, the integrity of examinations seemed quite equal to me. The oral was through IYT. As far as hotels go... yes of course, if the schools are paying for someone an examiner to come over and do the courses, the MCA will demand expenses and some hospitality shown by the hosts: this is just good manners and did not in my experience affect any outcome of any oral exam.

I actually complained to one school about the instructor for Business and Law, and he was removed within 2 hours and replaced with another instructor. He has never (as far as I know) taught another MCA course again. this obviously cost the school financially, but their integrity impressed me.

I suggest that you have been told a load of crap, maybe by a rival business, and if you have evidence of crooked examiners, then this should be brought to the attention of the MCA, as this is a crime. If an examiner is crooked, then he is crooked wherever he is, not just in Fort Lauderdale!

The fact you were told "it was not your business", probably illustrates that what you were saying was hearsay and had no facts to base your opinions on. There were some candidates that did not do so well over here (failed) and re-sat some course and exams in England... (I am sure other candidates were the opposite) perhaps your "stories" were a case of sour grapes!

We have all heard damming "stories" about MPT, IYT, Bluewater, Warsash, and others... it is as though people that go through a particular school feel a sense of alumni and have to gossip about how bad all the others are!

And here you are "Anonymous" spreading more gossip and rumor with no facts.

Mike French
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 3:48 PM

THERE ARE STILL A FEW ORAL SLOTS AVAILABLE AS OF TODAY 28TH SEPTEMBER.

Mike French
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:57 PM

THERE ARE STILL ONE OR TWO AVAILABLE SLOTS FOR THE FT LAUDERDALE MCA ORALS IN NOVEMBER. ANYONE PLANING ON UNDERTAKING THE ORALS MUST APPLY FOR THEIR NOE ASAP. CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS.

Average 0 out of 5