Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Anti-Paparazzi Shield
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:54 PM

Many superyacht owners enjoy their privacy, but this may be going a bit too far. Roman Abramovich, billionaire and owner of the Chelsea Football Club, is pulling out all the stops on board his new yacht. And you thought he was upping the ante with the sheer size of M/Y Eclipse – she measures 557 feet. Well, be prepared to be dazzled, Abramovich is sparing no expense when it comes to security measures for the new addition to his fleet. He has commissioned an anti-paparazzi shield to protect himself and his guests from prying eyes and probing cameras.

According to the Telegraph.co.uk, “Infrared lasers detect the electronic light sensors in nearby cameras, known as charge-coupled devices. When the system detects such a device, it fires a focused beam of light at the camera, disrupting its ability to record a digital image. The beams can also be activated manually by security guards if they spot a photographer lurking.”

Allegedly, Abramovich has spent more than €340 million on this floating fortress. With all of the luxuries on board, “two helipads, two swimming pools — the larger of which doubles up as a dance floor when drained — and 6ft-wide home cinema screens in all 24 guest cabins,” says Telegraph.co.uk, it’s no wonder this tycoon feels the need to keep himself out of the limelight because everyone will be dying to sneak a peek. The yacht is set for delivery in December 2009.

The Telegraph.co.uk reports, “Eclipse is likely to require a crew of at least 60 people, said to include a security team of hand-picked former veterans of the French Foreign Legion.”

Who says you can’t buy security?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:15 PM
The concept is based on us military technology, originally developed to detect snipers. Paparazzi, analog cameras are immune.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:18 PM

Many photographers, especially paparazzi, are using digital cameras today. This technology will disrupt digital cameras. The paps will either have to bring two cameras or go back to the old school way of doing things.

Chief
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:53 PM

Call me skeptical but I will wait to hear if any camera is disabled without blinding the photographer holding it and creating a firestorm of lawsuits or even assualt charges.  I believe we will see many photographs of that boat and its guests before we hear of any cameras being whacked.
rrsails
Posted: Saturday, October 3, 2009 12:32 PM

good effort.. I dont care if the paps get burnt...no lawsuit, they should get permission from people first, plenty smiling obliging a listers in the mags, then they get to to keep there eye sight... seems simple.

Firefly
Posted: Sunday, October 4, 2009 10:00 PM

rrsails wrote:
good effort.. I dont care if the paps get burnt...no lawsuit, they should get permission from people first, plenty smiling obliging a listers in the mags, then they get to to keep there eye sight... seems simple.

Yes but then no one would read the mags cos they would be full of boring PR shots. Its public demand for the 'unofficial' pics that drives the paps. There are plenty of millionaires who mange to have quite private lives. By building the world's largest yacht you are going to attract attention regardless of any 'anti-pap' devises it may have.What happens when a tourist boat floats past? are they going to zap members of the public taking holiday snaps?

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 3:10 AM
I don't think that anyone is zapped, just the camera won't work. But the above post makes a good point about tourists... why is it that these gazillionaires build these monostrosities of boats and then have the audacity to say 'oh, don't look at it. Advert your eyes when it comes near...' rings of an ancient times monarchy to me. Maybe they should use that R&D money to build an invisibility shield.

Average 5 out of 5