Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Yacht runs aground off the coast of Egypt
claire
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 12:43 PM

M/Y Che Guevara was recently spotted  in Malta. Our sources say this yacht  belonged  to Colonel Gadaffi and was allegedly being driven by a young captain when she ran up on a reef near Egypt. The yacht was a total write off and sold for one dollar.

Does anyone have anymore information?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 1:53 PM
You see, this is what happens when you give women the right to vote!!
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:22 PM
che guevara was run aground by [removed by moderator] a captain called Jason Brown. His in ability is what lead to him throwing the yacht straight off track into the reef as he was leaving the Port on his first trip aboard.
Capt Briand
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:51 PM

Is that a Sunseeker 108' Predator???
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:58 PM
There really seems to be alot of groundings, fires etc...that Dockwalk has been reporting on recently. Is this just another case of getting what you pay for? It seem to me, that with the state of the global economy many owners are downsizing, cutting salaries or hiring the Capt that will work for the least amount of money. The thing is, a lot of owners are actually making more money now than before the collapse of so many institutions. But, they are using this as a way of cutting costs across the board. I personally know several well qualified Capts. that have taken up to a 50% cut in pay so they can stay on the boats they're on. So, if hiring a Capt. based on how little they will work for is what owners are doing, I think we'll be seeing even more of this in the future.
Capt.AdG
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:00 PM

What is the information you are searching for, Claire? Where did it happen? Who knows the waters in Egypt, knows that navigation can be tricky and nobody should accuse anonymously a "silly Captain". I have seen female Captains with more "balls" than the "anonymous" here is showing us !!! Anyway I think it is very sad to run aground ... and who runs aground should reconsider his job or step down a little bit.
starrider
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:03 PM

What???...as he was leaving harbour? Idiot. But I'm sure he was fully qualified in mixing pink cocktails and entertaining guests. Owners and recruiting agents looking for young, energetic crew with hospitality experience...take note  
Dreaman
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:19 PM

Well, I encourage mentioning names again, because our life often is in the hands of those Captains (I am licensed Captain as well) and it is an important issue ! And we should know what to steer clear of
Dreaman
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:24 PM

... and again - it is not a matter of age or experience so much, but of careful consideration and knowledge of the environment and navigational dangers around. Godspeed !
yourskipper
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:37 PM

There seems to be a lot of judgement of this 'young captain', when we don't know really know any facts... Lets learn from peoples mistakes, read the MAIB reports, and remember, there but for the grace of God go we... No matter how professional you are, if you have been at sea long enough, you will have had some close calls. I know I have and I know its always easier to say what, should have, could have, ought to have, been done when you weren't there or with hindsight. I am not saying this captain was in the right, and I agree that if owners continue to employ 'cheap / green' crew then we will see more errors caused by lack of experience / responsibility. However, lets not jump to conclusions.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:51 PM
sunseeker predator 92 i believe, There are a large amount of young Captains around. the only thing is 30% are born and bred on the water and everything comes second nature to them, the rest have no idea how they ended up there. I have noticed that this industry is pulling along with it 10 incompetent 'ill give it a try' crew for every capable seafarer recruited. it is also the fault of all us captains who give in to incompetent crew when were stuck in a corner with noone else to choose. incompetant crew given a try, they're put up with for a while, and its only when its too late that they get the slap in the face.* GOOD MORNING, YOURE NOT CAPABLE*
Henning
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2009 5:42 AM

To Your Skipper... Sorry, when you tear the bottom out of the boat, there are no excuses or extenuating circumstances that relieve the master of the title "incompetent".
GeeSea
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:55 AM

I believe there is a fine line we must tread when splashing another person’s name out on the net. Until all the reports are released by the authorities any statements are guesses. I have seen a very similar accident but involving a submerged container. The facts are that there is a vessel that has been damaged and that the only proof so far is from a person that has made statement that could affect a person’s life but refuses to leave his/her own name. This is Dockwalk and not Gerry Springer. I shall be waiting for the reports to make my judgement and not making a decision on scanty information. (I am a Captain of 18 years with out any insurance claims)
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:12 PM
I find it hard to believe that as a captain of 18 years, you still are finding similarities between submerged containers and rocks/reefs.  Maybe they feel similar when you run them over?  The big DISSIMILARITY would be that one is Charted(reef/rock) and one is uncharted(submerged container).  Also in my limited experience I have found that Rocks and Reefs tend to travel much shorter distances than containers do, (either fully or partially submerged.)

Average 0 out of 5