Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
More muggings in Antibes.
claire
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 5:04 PM

Dockwalk has learnt of two more attacks on yachting crew taking place only a few weeks apart in the yachting town of Antibes. Manu Ross, deck/engineer was caught out twice in the space of a month with the second attack resulting in a spell at the local hospital. Says Manu, ' I felt someone grip my throat from behind and then dragging me backwards. Next thing I knew I woke up in the ambulance'. He was released from hospital the following day short of a few 100 euro bills although they didn't take his credit cards or phone. The incident took place near the march provencal area of the town when a group of young French youths approached him for a cigarette.

This weekend dayworker Matt (surname not revealed) was also attacked while walking home at about 4.30am on Friday night near the 'Hopstore' pub. A gang of five young guys 'crawled out of the wood work', he says and he knew they meant trouble. He managed to get away unscathed after 'taking two of them down'.

The population of Antibes multiplies by 5/6 times during the summer months and local police recruit from other areas of the country to deal with the swelling population – but their resources are limited and they claim yachting crew are not particularly targeted, but the proportion of night club and bar brawls and attacks does go up proportionally during these busy months.

If you are attacked you should call the emergency 17 and then report the incident in person to the Commissariat de Police; 5, Avenue des Freres Olivier, -06600, Antibes. And contact claire@dockwalk.com – so we can warn everyone else. For a more detailed account read the October issue of Dockwalk – out soon.

Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 6:42 PM

Yet again Dockwalk this is a pathetic attempt at journalism. So some bloke gets jumped on the way home from the pub shit faced. Big deal.
Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 6:48 PM

Why the hell would anyone email you if they got mugged? Are you going to help them at the police station or comfort them in a potential hospital? Or just use their story for sensational articles to make your life easier, which means you don't actually have to research anything. Christ, here in Antibes there a few interesting stories if you choose to look. And this is the best you can do?
Dirk Pauwels
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 7:22 PM

Mr Kurtz, attacks should always be taken serious, regardless of which side you take. I feel that it is pathetic that you are trying to defend the attackers rather than a crew-member, potentially a colleague of yours. Or ... are you one of the attackers (no offense or pre-judiciary) ?
Kate Lardy
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 7:29 PM

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Kurtz. Muggings are news. Dockwalk had numerous requests last winter Caribbean season to provide a forum where yacht crew could report muggings and incidents down island, so crew would know what was going on when they arrived somewhere new. Why should Antibes be any different?

Perhaps these incidents are simply a consequence of being in a busy tourist port and perhaps these guys had been drinking (although we don't know that) -- but since it's not uncommon for crew to go out to bars on their downtime, shouldn't we all be aware of any trouble reported by crew? If crew are getting mugged, don't we have a right to know about it? Most crew don't read the local papers.

Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 12:59 AM

Dirk, Please be serious. You may watch Fox News but hey, I watch Disney Channel. Doesn't mean that I believe it or respect it. Actually I have more respect for Disney Channel than Fox News. The idea that by disagreeing with Dockwalk's idea of journalism is somehow condoning muggers is patently ridiculous. Please read the post before giving your opinion, or, if incapable of the above; cease and desist. Kate, Whilst it is sad that some guy got hurt and robbed it is true that we don't know why or how. Your article does nothing to enlighten us on this subject. Nor was there any investigation on your part before reporting what effectively amounts to rumour since no source was quoted. This is why I criticise your sensationalism. I applaud your reports on crew that have been targeted however, yet again, in this case and by your own admission, we do not know the circumstances of the case. Certainly it does happen but please find out the facts of the case before you report it as news. Finally. To give as a reason that - (and I paraphrase) not all yachties read the local paper is well, it leaves me without words. Respectfully, and I apologise for my slightly infuriated yet unnecesarily agressive tone on the prior post, I disagree. This is not a problem that is limited to Dockwalk but a greater acceptance of the dumbing down of information through the media in general. Please rise against it and do your job properly. p.s. I'm not dead.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:34 PM
Mugging yes there are but far a few between, pissed crew Staggering all over the place, falling over being, sick eveywhere! thats common in Antibes. what do you expect what a target.
David Johnson
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:46 PM

Beleive it or not we were running a Security course recently in Antibes and one of the attendees woke up in hospital on the morning of day 2 having been mugged, knocked unconious and had his wallet and phone stolen. I also have a close friend who was robbed at gunpoint there last year. Whether or not its deemed as good news or not isnt the issue here, its important for people to know that there is a risk in these places and good for Dockwalk and the media for letting us know!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:49 PM
How can you say this is not worthy journalism?

I lived on the cote azur for two years between Monaco and Cannes. If you read angloinfo, muggings are a problem that goes far beyond the yachting industry. The South of France is a dangerous place at night. I, myself have been jumped 3 times in the time I was there; one resulting me being in Monaco hospital for 3 weeks. The police do not care, and if they did they could not do anything about it. There is nothing one can do to stop the attacks, other than knowing it is a dangerous place and taking precautions at night by not walking alone and staying out of back alleys. I don't know if I know very many people who have not had an altercation at night in the South of France.

JamesMostert
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:21 PM

I don't know why you don't think this is news?? I'd say it certainly is as some people are new to the area and do not know what to expect. At least this way people who are due to head there soon can be more cautious of what they carry on them and where and what times they are walking around; and in what state they are in. I appreciate the news so that when I go there I now know that I need to be aware of these sorts of things happening. It may not be HUGE news, but its certainly worth mentioning. Thanks for the information.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:27 PM
I have been in the business over 10 years now, various countries and of course the med, and never been anywhere close to a mugging or attack... Look at the people and circumstances and you will find out (and without taking the muggers defence) the guys that get attacked aren't very street smart! If you know there are muggers out there (and there are alwasy guys out there looking at making a quick buck) then be smart, don't walk home shitfaced at 0430 on your own. The end.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:31 PM
You obviously have not been out after midnight in Nice walking home. You dont need to be wasted to be attacked. There are some people who carry 2 wallets; one to throw if they are confronted.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:35 PM
Yes, there have been some problems in Antibes. But anyone is an easy target, who is obviously drunk and wearing an expensive watch or an expensive pair of sunnies. You should walk in groups back to the place where you are staying. These kids target the yachties because they think that they are cashed up and too drunk to fight back. If we are all a bit wiser, then we wouldnt be targets. Just a quick note to let you know that one of the kids were convicted yesterday, they found several wallets and purses belonging to yachties.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:40 PM

I know four able bodied fit strong men in the last couple of week who have been mugged in separate incidence in Antibes in the last couple of weeks personally, so god knows how many more have been done over that do not know?

It seems to be the same routine they were all walking along, someone asks them for a cigarettes and the next thing they are put into a strangle hold from behind walked backwards until they can’t breathe. One of them was my crew Manu Ross, as in the article and he is no push over, and yes Dock walk had done their home work, because they phoned him to talk to him.

Once on the ground they were all systematically given a kicking and a beating and then robbed by going through their pockets. The word around town and also by the victims is it is a pro team of 3 to 5 guys of eastern European origin. They are professional muggers (Criminals) and its not to long before one of their victims is going to be killed! So take care out there, it doesn’t matter how big and hard you are, they mean to hurt you. Captains brief your crews before they go ashore, if they are new to the area. Things have got a lot worse around here; the police don’t care so you should.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:28 AM
Dear All,

I live in Antibes and it is very important to report all muggins to the police, so if it happend to you or a friend please go to police and report it. I had a friend who lives here and she has been mugged 3+ times over the years. Yes, I know, yachties are a target as they do have fancy phones and carry lots of cash and usually get stupidly drunk and not very clever sometimes stumbling home alone.

It is a group of young french kids/teenagers who work together and target drunk people after 2 in the morning. They hang around the old town Antibes and we think they spend a lot of time at Place Nationale.

I have been mugged (french teenager had trouble to get home and asked if I could call his friend, after giving me the number and I looked down on the phone while dialing he snatch the phone out of my hands and started running. I ran after, but 2-3 in the morning you are not as fit as a long legged teenager.

We have started to report all the crime as the police can only work on statistics to apply for more police officers in the area. So, more reports = more police. If they dont know, they cant get more police in.

It is very good of dockwalk to write about it so other people are aware of this. At the end of the day, many places in the world you are an easy target walking home drunk alone with a Rolex....

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:39 AM
Sorry Mr Kurtz I can only hope it happens to you! The more poeple that are aware the better, Antibes has many young people passing though who have never traveled before and are not so street wise, keep up the good work dockwalk
David Johnson
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:54 PM

Just to reiterrate the points raised by previous respondees, being a crew member in any Port involves elements of risk. Antibes may have the edge on muggings at the moment, but the same principles of awareness and security risk management apply across the board. The problem has become so prevelant in recent years that we (Eos Risk Management) have been specifically asked by a well known yacht company and a large passenger shipping corporation to produce a Crew Security Awareness and Training package to help them equip their crewmembers with the basic skills required to reduce the risk and severity of these kinds of incidents. Violent crime, theft and sexual crimes against yacht crew are on the increase globally, with the economies the way they are, and the general population drifts in and out of ports, its not surprising that this is the case. We owe it to ourselves to take a little more care, and also to make sure we have the basic awareness or skills to try and reduce this risk. They aren't rocket science, but common sense based, but unfortunately common sence isnt that common. Others on this forum have mentioned the obvious, dont wear expensive jewelrey, dont carry expensive luggage, dont wear clothing that is going to give you away as not being from the local area, travel in groups, be sensible with drink and other intoxicants, try to be situationally aware (are there people or small groups hanging around, are you going through badly lit areas with easy places to jump out from etc.). As with one of the other recommendations on this forum we also recommend carrying a 'muggers wallet' containing old credit cards, a bit of cash, no ID, to act as a decoy. Its also advisable to carry an 'In the event of Emergency Please Call this number .......' note which in the event of an attack can be used by emergency aiders or first responders to help. It's human nature to become complacent about these things in areas we are familiar with, but all old hands in Antibes can think of times when they recently made home from Outback or the Blue Lady in the small hours and put themselves in unnecessary risk, given the upturn in muggings. The easiest way to avoid them is not to present a target in the first place, if this isnt an option then try to minimise the impact of the crime and importantly have an understanding of how to cope with the aftermath. Ironically the only incident we have personally encountered as a Company was drunk yacht crew on the IYCA making lewd comments to one of our security operatives wives and trying to start a fight with anyone who was walking past, a point which has also been raised in the responses on the forum.
cyd
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:16 PM

There have been several muggings recently, it appears there may be 3 different groups involved. Several letters and a petition have been sent to the mayor (head of the local police), these have been sent by locals and local business people, some who are, and some who are not connected to yachting. We are all at risk, (not as has been stated, just a few drunks). Many of us live here, and are having to live with this, others live here on the yachts, either on short term stops over, or have longer term home ports in the area. This should be a concern shared and taken seriously by us all. The response so far from the mayor's office and the police is that they would like to increase the security and policing here, but that these attacks are not being reported to them. They have to have the figures of crime to report upwards to justify an increase in police on the ground. Sara, at the Blue Lady (cafe/bar), has already got the support of many local business owners, and approached the authorities earlier this year. Sara is currently composing a new petition and paperwork to be delivered to the Mayor regarding the current increase of attacks. (muggings have also occurred in Juan les Pins and Cannes, as both tourists and yachties are visible targets). As anyone visiting here, based here, have friends who are crew that visit here, or who have family visit them here, are ALL potentially a target, I ask that anyone in the area, please sign the petition, we all need to be safe. The petition will be available from Monday the 7th of September, at the Blue Lady, (ask at the bar), Please take the time to drop in and sign it (you don't have to buy a drink, just ask to sign the petition) Please help us make a difference, go sign. Thank you.
Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:35 PM

Well apparently the last anonymous poster did not read my posts. Let me reiterate. I did not complain that the post was made but in the style it was made. Some posters here have at least an informed opinion. Of course attacks against crew are bad and should be reported but the fact that posters know more than journalists should not be so. Again, please read my posts before criticizing. The point was more about journalism than the muggings and given the attention span of those that don't really read the posts here, I hope I proved the point. I would have hoped that Dockwalk in Antibes would comment, refer, quote in their reporting and maybe even ask the police. And given what is common knowledge maybe even ask a local. Without risking oneself one could even ask in Place National. The little shits deserve to get nicked for sure but this is something that has been going on for 20 years, or more. That said I hope no more people get mugged and that the person that wishes I get mugged thinks twice. I certainly do not wish that upon them. A word of advice, reporting to the police is good but reporting to the bar owners is better; most of them are locals and if they get complaints then they know who to talk to to protect their own businesses and at the same time their clientele.
Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:01 PM

Regrettably David Johnson is right, I too have been aggressed by drunk yachties and know some local girls that are scared of yachties after bad experiences. To be clear: in no way, shape or form do I condone violence or theft but the situation is not clear. There is dichotomy between the locals and the transient population that is in a large way caused by the disparity in income. And attitude. Before I get critiqued for this, think about it. Yes, yacht crew off duty are going to be a little loose on time off and should have the right to be so; I am party to this group. However, you look at the many poor disadvantaged people who live around the area and maybe that disparity is equivocal to them. I am not justifying in any way their actions. I sincerely believe the little shits should suffer and stress that I cannot condone in any way violence or theft. Yet in any city in the world crew should look after themselves with use of common sense which seems sadly lacking these days. It is, unfortunately, a two way street. Please do not mistake my criticism of the article any more. This is a serious subject badly reported; that is my point.
Kate Lardy
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:10 PM

Hi Mr. Kurtz,

The forum post by our Med editor, Claire, was just that - a forum post, not a news article; the intention was to spark a discussion about what's going on in Antibes, offer a place where others could share their experiences. Claire did, in fact, interview the police and has spoken to local bar owners. The full news story is coming in the next issue of Dockwalk, where I hope you will be happier with our journalistic endeavors. Thanks for your interest and thanks to all the posters who have contributed their stories and insight.

Best,

Kate

Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:55 PM

Point taken Kate but maybe it would be good to state the intention of the post as such? I respect much of what you do and again apologize for the initial tone of my posts on this subject.
cyd
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 7:38 AM

As I mentioned above, Please report to the POLICE, the bar owners want to keep their customers safe, but, unless there are official reports to the police, from victims/and or witnesses, there are no official crime numbers to allow the application and therefore the supply of extra police on the ground. The system in France is such that the head of Police, the mayor, can not just be voted in or out by locals, reports by third parties (not a victim or on the spot witness) can not be counted, as is hearsay, not an official report, and policing IS supplied (increased or decreased) according to apparent needs (officially reported crimes). Please take the time to report, you also get paperwork which allows you to claim on insurance, proves to banks etc, that any use of credit cards was after a theft, it will assist with applications for any replacements required of driving licences/passports etc, so makes sense, AND can help towards preventing it happening again.
Equinox
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:36 AM

Kurtz:

There are many of us who appreciate the reporting that Dockwalk does. They are not the Herald Tribune, and many of their correspondents are just regular folks in the yachting industry.   

If you object to the nature of their reporting, you could do yourself, and the crew who look forward to the next Dockwalk, a big favor by not reading Dockwalk, not posting to this Forum, and shutting your piehole.Clearly, you are posting with the pathetic intent of seeing your opinions in print without offering any useful comment.

Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:41 AM

Dear Equinox, Ah, have I upset you? You want me to take my toys and go and play with the bad kids around the corner? Mummy coming to make it better? You may see this sarcasm as childish, vain, self-serving or even pointless and you are probably right. No, flat out right; but wtf, it makes me laugh. Which may make you think I am an idle dilettante (if you know what the word means) prick and well, yet again you would be correct. You see, I am a journalist as well as a sailor. Which kind of negates your argument that I like seeing my name in print since, and I hate to break your bubble on this one, (I know you said opinions but this is more fun) it isn't really my name. You see, I do get to see my opinions in print almost everyday and it is very satisfying, thank you. Seeing the name of a fictional character from a 19th century novel, however good it is, just doesn't do it for me. Allowing that I may be correct on this might lead one to ask why then, am I posting? Probably because it does bug me that the Murdoch principles of journalism are flourishing at your expense. And another thing, some of this mugging crap pisses me off. Il ne faut jamais prendre les gens pour des cons, sans oublier qu'il le sont. - Coluche. So I got home from a nice little trip yesterday and decided to put my 2cents worth to the test. After a relatively heavy aperitif I went and had a chat with some punks in Place National. I asked them who was doing the muggings and why. The answer did not surprise me and involved a fair bit of invective. The reply to the question was disaffected local youths. Most of them live in the old town. Why? We have money, flash clothes and an attitude they cannot understand and therefore resent. No names and no admissions but what may seem anathema to many really isn't that hard. The police will not do anything, I even asked them (they didn't say that but I was told to get lost). You do not have the right to vote here and until you do, elected people such as the Maire could not give a flying fig [bad word substituted by moderator] what happens to you. In fact, and I quote a source in the Maire's office, yachties are seen as the problem; they like the money, just not us and this shows in their attitude. I can't be arsed to do this but if you want to be safe on your way home, go to the police station with a bit of A4 with google maps print of the old town and a highlighter and ask for them to mark the streets that have cameras; the kids know the places and don't use those streets as much, so they say. If it has a hoodie on, run. The problem will not go away until elected officials are obliged to take action by the electorate. Petitions though well intentioned serve no effective purpose if signed by a transient population. You don't have any power other than your wallet. Until local commerce is affected, nothing will be done. Historically and again paraphasing a source in the Mairie, the problem will end with the summer. You may not like what I say and I am not siding with muggers but it is what I was told by the protagonists. Now if you don't mind, I need to get back to my hangover. And it is MR. Kurtz to you.
Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:52 AM

Why can't I do paragraphs? I want paragraphs. And to feel less hungover.
Kate Lardy
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:42 AM

Good advice about the streets with cameras, thanks Mr. Kurtz. And let me know if you want to write for us.

(Did you try hitting 'enter' a couple times...?)

Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:04 PM

Thanks Kate, er, well I wasn't expecting that! I'm going to be out of the yachting scene for a while so I'm not sure I would be of much use to you but what the hell, if you have anything interesting for me, let me know. I'm not used to people being nice to me, I think I might have a cry. I'm on an airplane (how cool is that, they got innernet here too), just thinking about faking crying for no reason is amusing me enough to be able to produce real tears and concern my neighbour. Ah what the hell, only another 9 hours, she'll get used to it. Or ask to be moved. Probably the latter. Right, I hit enter 6 times and still no paragraphs. All the power of the innernet and I can't have paragraphs?
Mr. Kurtz
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:20 PM

What is your Email Kate? We should talk, thelonger this flight lasts and the drunker I get the more ideas I have. Boredom is the least attractive of muses but maybe the most effective. Just think about it, we've all done it as some time. Normally involves beer goggles.
Kate Lardy
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:08 PM

Hi, it's kate@dockwalk.com. Looking forward to talking to you.

Average 0 out of 5