Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Turkey must see destinations
Graemer
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:32 AM

Hi All,

There is a possibility that we will be off to Turkey soon.  As such, I need to start putting an itinerary together of places that should be visited.  I have not been there yet which makes planning a little harder.

Anyone out there have any favourite places on the Med side of Turkey that they are willing to share?

Much appreciated!

Cheers
Graeme R.

AgatheB
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:07 AM

Hi there ! Turkey...sounds niiiiice! There are a couple usefull info there to help you getting started. http://www.dockwalk.com/Superports/chartered.aspx?id=8910
junior
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:36 PM

Sure, plenty of good stuff in Turkey. If your up in Izmir, cruise to the bazaar. Few years back I was doing the shuffle with my mate Cemil. Cemil ran into a couple a Whirling Dervish's from his army days. The Whirling Dervishes led us down a small alley to a carpet shop out back of a mosque then sold us a dozen, low mileage, flying carpets. Great for boats. Easy to flat pack under the bunks, no need for life rafts or any of that nonsense. We even base our onboard security standing orders on the carpets. When threatened, the crew simply board a carpet, fly out the forward hatch, dip down to sea level, speed all ahead full directly into the sun to avoid incoming lead, then muster at 1000 meters to await orders. Check out Izmir if you get the chance..
kdhguard00
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:07 PM

If you find yourself in Marmaris on the southwest coastline, a short ride away is the tourist destination of Fethiye and the 12,000 foot tall Mt. Babadag. I had the oppourtunity to go paragliding off it 3 years ago and it was a memory I will never forget. Strapped onto the front of your guide, you run of the edge off the mountain cliffside and hope for the best. Because it is so high, the descent can take up to 25 minutes! Of course, if loop-de-loops are your thing, it will fly by faster, but you might land without your lunch!

junior
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:42 PM

Gee, no yachties are giving the poor fellow any help. OK, once you have picked up your magic carpet, mount it , do a quick test drive , then fly down and have a look at Ephesus, the ancient city was favored by the Alexander the Great, The Virgin Mary, The Romans . Cleopatra and Mark Anthony hung out there. You can get a cold beer. If your a Commonwealth, ANZAC type you might fly your carpet up to Canakkale and check out the carnage of Gallipoli , short carpet ride away over on Limnos is the old field hospital from the campaign. What the heck...might as well check out Troy while your around Canakale... be good to pick up Homer and do some reading. Careful ...in Turkey they fly their carpets on the left
faybion
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:54 PM

Gochek! I have a house in Dalyan and Gochek is the new upcoming yachtie place, all along the cost there are wonderful places to see and visit take a look down the Pennisula towards Datca and Baku. Nice have fun!

Graemer
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:20 PM

Thanks all,
Appreciate the ideas so far.  Junior, which RYA ticket do I need to drive a magic carpet?  Does it need to be endorsed with anything? 

Happy sailing!

Hayley
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:57 PM

Hello Graeme,

After paragliding in Oludeniz, you can visit the Ghost Town in Karakoy, about 10 min drive from Oludeniz beach - there are taxis and buses that will take you there. Great for chillout and lunch and atmosphere!

In Fethiye itself, in the Old Town there is a hammam - Turkish Bath - old and traditioanl, as well as live Turkish music venues. They are a bit hidden away but you will find them upstairs in the Old Town. Also fab for chilling out, enjoying Raki and getting lost in a foreign culture!!

It is one of my favourite places, apart from Mama Africa in Cape Town!!

Enjoy!

Hayley

Clive C-W
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:06 PM

Graeme, am I being a stuffy Brit here or are you after advice of where to take the boat rather than just yourself?  I am in Turkey now and have been in the Aegean for the Summer.  My advice is that North is not much good except for Istanbul where you will need to check ahead to secure a marina berth somewhere (and you WILL want one).  Though it is a nice place to visit (as cities go), at Izmir you have to anchor off or go into a busy commercial port.  The Marina is just for Turkish vessels as it shares a Naval base. Cesme (CN marina) is cheap, pretty and dull. Kusadasi is very nice, Setur Marina is very pricey but has nice facilities and the town is a good run ashore.  Life really starts at Yalikavak, South and East.  Turgutreis is a relatively small marina but a good run ashore.  Bodrum is a great run ashore but frantic and the Gulets give no quarter in the harbour or it's entrance (or anywhere else come to that).  For anchorages for watersports Gokova Korfezi is busy but very beautiful.  Lots of coves and bays to explore but deep water and lots of company means mooring with lines to the shore in many places. From here go east to Datcha, Marmaris and Gochek.  All great runs ashore and beautiful local scenery (loads more magic carpets in Marmaris!).  There are really nice diving spots (as the Med goes) but to dive you are supposed to have local authority permission and a Turkish dive guide (I leave that to your conscience).  In the South West Corner you are close to hop over to Kos (Benidorm of the eastern med and crap Marina), Symi (small but very nice) and Rhodes (plenty of room but very busy.  Not much in the way of shore supply for bigger boats.)  As a touristy run ashore Rhodes takes some beating but it is much pricier that Turkey.  I'd go for the Paragliding myslef.  Any Help?

Broker
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 7:46 PM

May I suggest you develop a local contact, no one, not even the Turks are sure of the many myriad of laws and restrictions in the country, I have personal experience in this regard.
I have been visiting and sometimes living in Turkey since 1995.
Most of the places suggested by the forum are good, it is spelled "Gocek" by the way guys.
Should you be inclined, I will happily provide you with a contact that has been in the marine business in Turkey for over 40 years and enjoys a golden reputation both locally and internationally.
He lives in Istanbul and berths his boat in Club Marina in Gocek.
Let me know, should you be interested, I'll be glad to assist.

Graemer
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 10:21 AM

Thanks Clive for being the stuffy Brit! 

Your assumption about taking the boat rather than just me was right on the mark!  You have summarised exactly the type of thing I was looking for.  I was looking to find out about some of the best places and also those that should be avoided.  With those in mind, I can then put some form of plan together and develop it as we go.
Much appreciated and hopefully we will cross paths somewhere so I can buy you a warm beer in appreciation! 

Broker, thanks for the input and heads up.  If this pans out, I will be in touch to get the details of your contact.  The last thing I want to do is fall foul of the Turkish authorities!

To the others who have added input!  Thanks for the tips and please keep them coming.  One can never be armed with too much information!

Cheers!
Graeme.

Clive C-W
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 5:31 PM

Graeme,    glad I hit the mark but Broker is quite right.  Gocek does not have an 'h', nor does Cesme which is pronounced Cheshmay.  There are lots of other pronumciations to get used to but at least you'll recognise the alphabet if not how to pronounce it (unlike Greece). 
  Broker is also right about rules and regs.  The Turks really love to baboozle you with strange regulations that make no apparent sense and Turkish customs are an absolute nigtmare if you are trying to get anything sent to you.  It is for example illegal to import textiles so have your uniforms and T-shirts sorted before you come or get them here.  Bring plenty of spares or get Turkish craftsmen to mend whatever breaks.
  Again Broker is spot on about having local contacts.  On a formal basis we have been using Begum Yachting as agents and I can strongly recommend them.  They are not cheap but they do get the job done and will be up front about charges.  On the informal side I am lucky to have four Turkish crew which, though most places speak English reasonably well, when you are dealing with officialdom (or marina staff) it is very helpful to have a Turk by your side.
   I do not profess to be an expert on the place but will be happy to answer any questions if/when they arise merely based on my experience so far.  Oh, and as for the beer warm has to be a good British ale, out here a cold Efes Dark would be very welcome!
Peter Spooner
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 6:01 PM

Hey Graeme, just seen this, may be a bit late. email me captain@mysarita.com and will be happy to send you several different itineraries that we have developed for the area. Also a must get book is "A Blue Romance" full of great pics and good descriptions that will have your guests druelling before they even get on board! cheers!

Average 0 out of 5