Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Steward/Deckie
Aussie_Will
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:28 AM

For years I have thought about working on "white boats", and after just discovering this forum I hope some of you will be able to help answer a few questions I have. Im a 23 year old australian with residency in the Bahamas and would love to work the summer season at least on a boat either in the caribbean or med. A little Background: I have been working in the Fine dining industry in both Australia and Canada for the last 6 years. Working as servers and bartenders at top restaurants as well as studying to be a sommelier. I have grown up on boats, my father a captain himself of a 38m Converted Tug. I have done everything on that boat apart from work in the engineroom. I have done watches, ropework, working with tenders all the way through to 46 ft game boats, working with diving gear, fishing gear etc I love it and whenever i am on holiday i spend as much time as i can on his boats. I am looking at next summer working as a steward or similar, looking after guests in the food and beverage department specificaly with wine as it is my passion along with the sea. There must be owners out there who love to drink great wine when they are on their boats. (would i be looking at a chief steward job?) I want to help out with everything from tenders to watches as well as food and drink. What is my best option for getting work? Will
Steve
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:40 PM

Hi Will Don't even try going after a Cheif Stew role with no YACHT exp. And if you only want to work in this industry for a season or two... well then you probably should not wast your time either. Yacht owner's and Captains do not want to hire someone who just wants a little time on their boats. These people are looking for someone serious about making the yachting industry their career! It is way to hard to break into this biz. to just do it for a season or two! And there are 1,000's of qualified people who do want to make this their career who are putting in the time, training, money and maritime classes & courses needed to make it their career. It is NOT easy to get into this business! Trust me. Now all that said, if you still want to get into this business read on.... It's great that you have good exp. in the fine dinning area! You really need to play that up in your CV, along with your relevant boating exp. Visit www.boatjobsguide.com and download the e-book ($9.95 I think). It's a great guide and has everything from what the yacht industry is to what to expect on a daily basis and how to get a job. It was written by a friend of mine who has been in the yachting industry for over 7 yrs. and worked for 4 different Billionaires! Check it out you will be glad you did! Well I hope this has helped a little. Good luck!

Average 0 out of 5