Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
MY AFINA PALLADA - what's going on, you ok?
claire
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:50 PM

A bird in a tree in Sardinia has shown me pics of MY Afina Pallada stuck on the rocks - in serious need of some love and attention......... she's not going anywhere for a very long time. Are you OK baby? don't know where or why but this poor old 30 metre Princess really doesnt deserve a sticky end........ any news anyone anywhere ? Merci.
Yachtspotter
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:26 PM

Few to say for the moment... Happened at 4h30 two days ago (night of 15-16). The yacht was very recently launched, few months ago. Four people were rescued aboard, none injured. Seem to be from New Zealand. Anti-pollution systems were installed.

Read the full article at:  http://www.gallurainformazione.it/index.php/iniziato-il-recupero-dello-yacht-finito-sugli-scogli/

If you don't speak Italian : "...they are pumping fuel...the yacht will be removed from rocks to a shipyard...during that time there is an investigation to know the reason of the accident."

I have the feeling she's a Princess Yachts 85ft, I will try to know more.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 4:31 AM
That's just ridiculous! At least no one but the yacht was hurt...
peter boulton
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:13 PM

Amazing - sad, but amazing in that, from the local press, it appears that the "captain" may have been smoking and or snorting and or imbibing substances designed to seriously impede normal navigational thought processes. Should this be so it says here, "he could face between 6 months and 3 years inside, plus a hefty fine". We must wait and see.  As has already been said, fortunately no-one was injured.

I agree that it looks like a Princess 85 and apparently still the same length too, fortunately.

starrider
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:00 PM

What a waste of a beautiful yacht. Another fine example of a Skipper with the much revered "Yacht Experience". But in all his training he received to make him the perfect host, no mention was make of navigation and safety. But apparently this is not too important to some owners. When will this industry realize that true expeperience and judgement can only be gained after years of actually experiencing and dealing with different scenarios. Two years of experience in spoiling guests semms to be the major requirement for most Skipper's postions....well, then don't complain if your toy land up on the hard. Thank God nobody got killed....the owner would have had a massive law suit pending. But at least the crew presented a good image and the guests were served nice cocktails before their ordeal...pathetic.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:05 AM
The article roughly translated:

From the press release of the Harbor of La Maddalena. "Processes for recovery of the yacht 'Afina Pallada' that in the night between 15 and June 16 was up on the rocks of the Plains. Completed transactions that involved the evacuation of all boxes containing fuels and fluids of various kinds in order to prevent any danger of spillage at sea, the company is taking steps to making safe of the boat before final removal from the rocks through the repair of holes and the construction of a temporary ramp, operations should be completed during the day tomorrow. Meanwhile, investigations are proceeding on the part of the staff of the Harbor of La Maddalena, the clinical analysis made to the unit commander has ruled out the use of drugs and alcohol rate was very low, for so was not a state of drunkenness . As a result of the current was assumed the crime of culpable shipwreck that could be punished by imprisonment from 6 months to 3 years and a fine of up to € 516.00. The commander was also recorded for having exceeded the speed limit allowed in the waters of the archipelago and to have sailed in the area but "banned to shipping for a total of € 1088.00.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:15 AM
Probably a hawsepiper yachtie! Where did the man get his training? Thank God there was only small amounts of marine diesel, varnish and the owners licor cabinet onboard. The area is vulnerable to spills.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 12:39 PM
Has anyone considered loss of engines or electronics failure etc. It always amazes me that all of you so called expert captains tend to be the worst critics when standing on the dock, but put the shoe on the other foot, and I'm sure you would find plenty of excuses.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:20 PM

very true.

how can you point the finger until reading the report!!!

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:58 AM
Loss of engines or electronics.. ?? well then ,what the hell is the anchor for... or a pan pan for assistance on the VHF... !! Yes i'm gonna say experience these days is not a priority for a capt. position.. does the owner or broker/agent, take a new guy for half the wages as he needs the experience or a more suitable capt with years at sea for twice the price.. yep you want to pay the peanuts you get the monkeys.. Lesson learned No# ...
starrider
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:53 PM

Yes, Mr Anonynous@12.39, some of us can actually afford to comment from the dock after having spend 25 years working and playing on the sea, and some of us have actually experienced real fires, floods and death onboard. A grounding is in most cases caused by an error in judgement and is therefore also a chargable offence in most counties. Your so-called considerations of engine and/or electronics failure shows that you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. It is exactly people like yourself that, due to experience and training, will hesitate in an emergency and ultimately cause a blunder. Good seamanship can only be gained through real life experience and yes, it is the core essence and requirement for a successful Skipper, NOT image or the ability to impress clients by smooth talking and trying to be the perfect host. The safety of a vessel comes first. A pleasant, friendly, yet professional personallity will ensure that guests feel comfortable, safe and well looked after.   
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:46 AM
I totally agree with the last post. Human error is ever present when accidents happen at sea. Even if it is a purely technical failure, what ultimately leads to havoc is a chain of events where humans make bad calls (we're not talking about spontaneous combustion or other esoteric happenings)! Somebody erred on this yacht. Secondary and/or redundant systems were not employed properly. And more probable than not, a contingency plan was not executed or executed poorly. It all comes down to training. And having the proper training level is the Masters responsibility. Legally one can not wriggle oneself out of that pickle as chief in charge!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 3:05 PM
Dear Sir, thankyou for your very straight forward comments I sincerely appolagise to the whole of the yachting industry, for having not made the right choise at the right time. Like mentionned by another reader a chain of circumstances can sometimes lead to having a wrong judgement in some situations. I wish you all the best.

Average 0 out of 5