Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Eclipsing Egos
claire
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 4:10 PM

Dubbed the world's greatest 'ego enhancer,' the latest yacht to join Roman Abramovich’s three-strong fleet of superyachts – M/Y Pelorus (377 feet), M/Y Ecstasea (282 feet) and M/Y Sussurro (161 feet) – the 557-foot M/Y Eclipse was launched Friday, June 12. Built by the German shipyard, Blohm + Voss, it reportedly cost £300 million to build and overshadows the 531-footer owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai.

Onboard toys and tools include a missile-detection system, two helipads, a swimming pool, miniature submarine and luxury spa. His master suite is believed to be surrounded in armour-plating and bullet-proof windows. Crew-wise – could this result in the creation of hundreds of new jobs? Where's that CV again? The yacht is due to be delivered in 2010.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:54 PM
Missile detection system? seems like the toys on yachts are getting more and more complicated!! While I enjoy the career, I do have to say that I am really happy that in my life, I will never need to be worried about someone directly targeting me with a missile!!
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:37 PM
Lets just pray that the propulsion system is not radioactive, and some young deckhand pushes the wrong button while poking around in the engine room. IF anyone spots radiation detection badges on the crew we'll know why.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:52 AM
Missile detection system, whooop what a great toy, I'm sure he's going to have hours of fun... money well spent :/ On a serious note, I very much doubt it has a missile detection system, what' s the point? does Eclipse carry warheads to intercept these missiles? errr, no.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:29 PM
I'm no expert but I don't believe you need "warheads" to 'intercept' missiles. Jeez switch on the discovery channel once in a while.

Anonymous wrote:
Missile detection system, whooop what a great toy, I'm sure he's going to have hours of fun... money well spent :/ On a serious note, I very much doubt it has a missile detection system, what' s the point? does Eclipse carry warheads to intercept these missiles? errr, no.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 9:30 PM

Whats the point? Because he can! And clearly its got us all talking about it!

MoralesYachtDesign
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:04 AM

Well whatever it has on it I'm still jealous.  Being a yacht designer, I would have loved to get on that project!  It looks really good in the renderings

Average 5 out of 5