Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
feedback on the ideal galley design
ExpeditionYacht
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2009 7:01 PM

Dear Chefs, Unlike most yachts - so I gather from postings on crew forums - we'd really like to take the feedback and advice of yacht chefs into account before finalizing our yacht galley design. So, here's your chance to post your comments, feedback, suggestions, etc. at: http://www.expeditionyacht.org/galley/galley-kitchen-redesigned. Please take into account this yacht would be used for charters that involve per cabin bookings as well as private charters. When we have per cabin charters (kind of small passengership operation), we have a fixed itinerary and a fixed menu to make planning, provisioning and life for chef and his/her assistant easier. We'll normally supply for 2 weeks and of course plan to catch fresh fish and lobster underway ! Think absolute maximum: 24 passengers and crew of 12. Normally 16-18 guests. When we have private charters the cooking may become a little more elaborate of course but we'll likely have less people on board. Any feedback is welcome.
david Cowcill
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:00 AM

Personally i would say you equipment needs to be very modern and versatile. By that i mean things like a freezer that can turn into a snap freezer if needed. It makes frozen foods seem much more fresh when served. A deep fryer, deep and wide enough to be able to change to a bain marie(water bath) if needed. Fridges that are ready to hold preped trays not on shelf space to max out fridge space. Ovens that hold exact temperatures so chefs don't have to worry about overcooking. If you ever went a fine dining restaurant kitchen, you would find at least ten cooks doing a number of things. Modern equipment will help your chef dramatically in putting together great meals for regular and high end guests. Cooking space in a galley should remain in a slightly compact area so a chef can avoid running around, but he or she will also need a larger area very close by to plate the food prepared as well. Still more to consider but somewhere to start Hope this helps a bit. .
ExpeditionYacht
Posted: Friday, June 5, 2009 6:00 PM

Dear David, Thanks for the reply. Yes, it will be modern, versatile, (combi ovens), fridges that allow trays, same for ovens. I just uploaded a newer distribution plan on our website: http://www.expeditionyacht.org/galley/galley-kitchen-redesigned Let me know what you think: I want some feedback on whether we do away with 2 of the 6 induction zones or with the 2nd oven. Or put the 2nd oven under the induction range, keep 4 inductin zones and create morer counter space on both sides. Got some great response so far!

Average 0 out of 5