Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Windows
Collo
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:22 AM

I need a hand with window products! I am on a yacht that has had so many different products thrown at the windows - that no-one knows exactly what works! I know that they need a good treatment to remove some serious spots and a few "scars". After that a protectant - maybe rain x or something else. Help me out with products that have worked for you - it is driving me nuts!
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:29 PM
where are you based at the moment.

mattgow
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 7:59 PM

Venco makes a nice two part product which can remove hard water spots and then protect the windows.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:26 PM
Don't use Rain X
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:20 PM
Ive been at this a long time and the best product I have found is called Aquatec(just google it). It is a calcium based paste that removes every water stain and mineral deposit you can think of. It is a bit labour intensive the first time around but they shine when you are finished. DO NOT use rain ex. Dont treat them at all. Just go over them once or twice a day with vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle and a GOOD squeegee . If you are cruising and you are in an area with hard water, you would do yourself, your paint and your stainless a favor by getting a good water softener and running your washdowns through it.
peter boulton
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:58 AM

Hi Collo

1. Be sure you have top quality water softening equipment AND REMEMBER TO SERVICE IT CORRECTLY!

2. Check out Dockwalk Jan 2009 Issue, go to News and Gear page 60, right hand column and discover "PERMANON" Products and read carefully. Their stuff really works, also on aircraft. In another life I spent many years trying endless, useless "wonder" cures and then found PERMANON while reporting on last year's METS in Amsterdam. As an example, imagine washing down the entire boat with one of their products and only needing to hose down for the next several sessions.

******  Correction in the text, for"waxing" read "polishing".

permanonshop.com should have everything you will ever need

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:08 PM
mattgow wrote:
Venco makes a nice two part product which can remove hard water spots and then protect the windows.

Venco works great, that is all i use. I use a festool machine at low speed. Make sure the windows are not hot when you work on them as the product will dry instantly. I also use a small spray bottle with water.  

Dan Dwyer
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 9:30 AM

All these products mentioned by the other are inferior.  And never use vinegar on glass.  It is looks good shortterm and is easy to detail but it does serious longterm damge to the glass and surrounding paint.  The best glass treatment available is by a company Nauticare for Super Yachts.  They have technicians worldwide that deep clean the glass surface ( so will remove all residue of other products used by former crew) and then they apply a glass protector that lasts approx 2 years outside, if you maintain it well.  No other product will perform like this.  No acids or aggrssive ingredients and no polymars like Rain X.  It is recommended by all the Dutch and German shipbuilders, and is being used by these builders before handing over new builds.  This product saves crew time!!   website: www.neroqom.com email: daniel@neroqom.com  p.s They also have solutions for Stainless Steel problems

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 2:13 PM

Hi All,

What would you consider a good water softener?

Casper
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 5:46 PM

Why should we not use Rain-X?
MJ_80
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 8:43 PM

I can only agree with Dan.....100%!!!
We got that treatment a few month ago on our windows (50m M/Y)......and it´s incredible!  We don´t even use soap anymore. just rinsing !

That makes Deckies really happy! 

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 7:30 PM
Bump... yes, please tell us why Rain-X and vinegar are so bad?
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:04 PM
venco works wonders and beats all the other products by miles, its really easy to apply aswell, i dont bother with the polish tho, moist finesse works fine, if they are heavily waterspotted use a white doodle, or a buffer with sponge pad, rain x requires alot of elbow grease, i love permaton, but i dont think it protects them as well or lasts as long as venco.. and all this fancy companies are basically selling you the service of coming down polishing your windows and applying a venco like product! . and yeah if you use too much vinegar it will eventually remove whatever you put on them!, man i hate that stuff
stockydale
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:16 PM

Any idea if anyone supplies Venco in the med, in particular on the cote d'azur???

Average 5 out of 5