Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
RYA Instructing in New Zealand.
faybion
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:57 PM

Hi I am currently going through training to be a RYA Yacht Instructor does anyone know if there is much for this demand in NZ?
junior
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:32 PM

Hmmm...good question. As far as I know, Kiwis are natural born sailors and are given both a yachtmasters ticket  and a birth certificate when they first pop out and the midwife   grabs them by the feet and whacks their bottoms.  I could be wrong.  Give it a go......
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:55 AM
Why don't you look up the schools that offer this training in New Zealand and send them an email.
Graemer
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 7:24 AM

RYA certification is not all that popular in NZ due to it not being accepted locally by Maritime NZ.  Most people who are going down the RYA route are planning to work offshore.

From memory there are about 10 RYA accredited schools here and I think they are mainly doing day sailing and entry level powerboat kind of levels.  There are 2 or 3 that do Yachtmaster level regularly.  I don't believe they have a high turnover of staff.

As mentioned earlier, you are probably better to do a google search and approach the schools individually.

Drop me a line if you need any more info as I am currently in NZ

Cheers

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 5:18 AM

Fabion,

Mahurangi Technical Institute is a recognised RYA training provider. Our market is mainly commercial yachtsman, courses including the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore with STCW 95 plus a 12 week Super Yacht Crew course in which we incorporate the RYA Competent  crew and Dayskipper practical. We are looking for RYA Yachtmaster Instructors or Cruising instructors to teach these courses. If you are interested send me a email: john@mti.net.nz

Regards

John Read

Deputy Head of Maritime Department

RYA Instructor/ Examiner

Average 0 out of 5