Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Velsheda and Ranger collide during Antigua Classic Week
Irony
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 8:09 PM

I was in a chase boat for Petrana on the last day of Antigua Classic Week.  We saw Velsheda on port tack and Ranger on starboard tack and thought we would get a great photo of them crossing. Before we knew it they were on a collision course.  Their rigging hit first, then bow, then midship, then stern.  We saw 4 crew leap into the water from Velsheda.  It was a terrifying sight and we are only glad that no one was injured. We backed off as the chase boats rushed in to rescue the crew in the water.  After all the boats had moved on we collected several large pieces of Velsheda from the water! 

Janine
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 9:19 PM

For more information and photos check out Louisa' Cowan's Blog.
Davidj
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:56 PM

i have just started a discussion about Velsheda's EC6 rigging taking a hit. If anyone has any information or anything to comment follow this link to the other posting

http://www.dockwalk.com/Essentials/DockTalk.aspx?g=posts&t=25042

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 7:56 PM
Having only ever worked on 'stinkpots'...Is it common for yachts to collide during a race? That's a lot more harrowing and close-quarters than I ever thought...

Average 0 out of 5