Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SSO ticket - is there any benefit?
JJ
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 12:57 PM

I've been advised to take the MCA SSO course in order to boost my appeal to employers.

I'm currently finishing my OOW modules. Does anyone think the SSO course will be of benefit to me? Perhaps I'm being pushed to splash the cash for a slight prospective advantage. Any advice?

Mike French
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:37 PM

JJ

The SSO ticket is required aboard vessels larger than 500 ton operating commercially so it is not required by every vessel.  It is quite likely to benefit you in terms of making you more saleable to many a potential employer.  That said it will not make a silk purse out of a sows ear and should be seen as a complement to a good CV and no more. Other  factors  to consider are subjective:  Your available funds, the relevance of the ISPS convention to the yachts you wish to work on, your view on the investment value of training etc etc. 

Good luck in the job hunt.

Mike French
IYT

DaveRobson
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:36 AM

I did the SSO as part of an Engineering course at UKSA in England. It seemed to me that the course was just thrown in as a way of getting another ticket for only a few days effort. No one has ever mentioned the SSO to me since (although to be fair, I havent ever applied for a yacht over 500T) The course itself was interesting, although it really didnt seem to apply to the kind of industry that I've worked in. I guess if you can afford the course then it definately won't hurt, but I wouldnt expect to see much advantage out of it!

Average 0 out of 5