Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Nepotism takes a Naughtical Turn
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:19 PM
Dear Crew Confessor,

Recently I was hired as a deckhand on 35 metre yacht in Europe. It's my first job on a yacht and I've never been so excited. It's a little embarrassing but there's no getting around it, I got the job because my sister is the chief stew. I know jobs are tight right now and to be truthful I feel a trifle guilty as it seems an endless parade of countless young guys walking up to the dock asking about work. Here I am with nought but a summer or two sailing about on holidays with mum and dad and I'm here on this great boat.

It gets more complicated. I think my sister is involved with the captain and, while I knew she had been responsible for getting me the opportunity to work here, I hadn't realized how personal her influence is. And he's married. Has the kids and all that ashore somewhere, but otherwise seems a nice enough bloke. My parents would have an absolute meltdown if they knew. Mum would be shattered and Dad, well I don't even want to imagine. Naturally I'd prefer to have gotten a job the old fashioned way but things being what they are how should I proceed. Should I speak to her about it and tell her I know? Did she have sex to get me a job?

My Stew Sister is Really the Captain's Mate.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 5:24 AM
Behind closed cabin doors, or below dogged hatches, oh my the secrets we keep. The secrets we keep.
CaptErik
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:18 PM

Gee, how hard is it for someone that has a husband who's captain of a 35 metre yacht to figure her husband is cheating on her if she knows the crew makeup and who the recent hire is. Your sister is going to love it when you all get fired and everyone finds out what a slut she is. Just a tidbit of helpfull info, don't post crap like this on the web. Chances are if anyone finds out you will be blackballed, what happens at sea stays at sea and not in a blog. JMHO

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:17 PM
I would not be surprised to learn that certain details have been altered to disguise the identity of those in question. Deckhand = Dumb? Not all of us. I say just do your job and keep your mouth SHUT.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:28 AM
Hold onto that job! Whatever it takes, the ecomony is terilble and when you are unemplored it's very expensive. Cheers
Crew Confessor
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:03 PM

Dear Deckhand,

First of all, your sister may have recommended you for the job, but it is unlikely that her influence could be responsible for your ability to hold the job. So, don't feel guilty that you have a job while others do not. Trust me, if any of them had a close friend or family member on board a yacht that was hiring, they wouldn't hesitate to exploit that connection if they could. If you were not performing well I doubt the captain would keep you around, even if he is involved with your sister. Most yachts simply don't have room for inept slackers, and on a smaller boat it is immediately apparent if you fall into that category.

As many others will tell you, the hardest job to get in yachting is often your first one. Once you prove yourself as a hard worker and an eager learner who plays well with others, landing a job becomes much easier.

As much as your sister may care for you I truly doubt she had sex for the sole purpose of getting you a job. She might have used her influence to get you the chance, but your ability to keep the job is up to you.

Now, you didn't say for certain that your sister is "involved" with the captain, and perhaps she is not. Mind your own business. Speak about your sister's sexual habits to no one, especially not your parents or other crew people.

I would work my butt off if I were you, speak to no one about your sister and her private life, and that of the captain's. Work as hard as you possibly can to build a solid reputation and an independent identity. If there is some shenanigans going on, it is very possible that your sister will be facing a job change in the future, you might even get caught in the fallout. Hopefully this will not happen, and if it does, not for a long while. But be prepared, just in case. Save your money in case you are suddenly forced to find another job, and be friendly and polite to the other crew you meet. Don't get sloppy drunk in crew bars. This is a small world, and the fellow watching you get falling down drunk on Wednesday might be the captain you interview with on Friday.

Your Crew Confessor

Average 5 out of 5