Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
SALARIES
Ian Walker
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:52 PM

I have this morning been for my second interview in a month both for Ch. Eng. on 35mt. MY,s in Malta. When it came to salary the starting point in both cases was Euro 3000.00 per month in both cases they went up to 3500.00 but wouldnt go higher. Is this exploitation of the current ( what I consider somewhat exagerated ) financial situation.

There is certainly no sign of it in Malta with the pubs, resturants and the majority of  the places of entertainment full.

What do you think??

Ian Walker.

monback
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:31 PM

Sounds 2 thousand to low  Ian.    Remember there is this push around the yachts these days to save money.  I hear of a few low salary jobs around.  Boat down the dock is looking for a 1200 euro a month stewardess.  Not sure what to say.  Expensive to be unemployed.  You might want to  take the job,  dig in for the year and see whats happens next season. The big charter boats are having a tough time selling charters for the med season.. If its a charter boat maybe this is why.
Luxyachts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:31 PM

Dear Ian,

The Maltese economy does not sound like it is experiencing the downturn that is very significant for most of the world and you are perhaps slightly isolated from the bigger picture if you believe that our industry is not going to be significantly altered by it.

Euro 3000 sounds like a low starting salary for a chief engineer on a 35m motoryacht but you do not give sufficient information for me to go anywhere near the "exploitation" comment that you make. The 3500 that they both went to sounds reasonable as a starting salary if the schedule is light and there is minimal licensing required.

What is the work schedule?

What is the license requirements?

Will the vessel charter and will you receive incentives from any commercial activity?

What benefits are being offered?

Most yacht owners have seen their net worth decrease by 50% in the past 12 months. With an increased supply of crew in our industry and reduced demand due to a large number of vessels being laid up to reduce operating costs  we are recommending all of our crew to be flexible in their salary requirements and be responsive to the yacht owner's needs.

It is up to the individual to set their own limits for salary reductions....but these reductions will occur and many crew are making the choice to sit out the next few years to work on domestic projects until the market improves.

Regards,

Rupert Connor

Luxury Yacht Group LLC

Kanaloa
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:53 AM

Ian has got some good points about the lack of details in for the 3500 euro salary. I am a Y4 engineer and have ben qualified for over year. I have come across certain owners/managment companies that have justified the low salaries offered by saying "If you only had a Y ticket."  I have spent a lot of cash to get my Y4 CoC and I do feel that 3500 Euro would not even be offered to me by any agency as my previous wage  has been much higher.
    In my case I am looking for work with my partner of 5 years. She is a Chief stew. At an interview recently I was told that I should expect a lower wage as we are a couple! In fact, That was the only reason we were interviewed. They were tring to get qualifed crew on the cheap.
     There seems to be a belief, real or imagined, that we should accept lower wages because of the economy, credit crunch etc. Owners and managment companies would like to keep this "belief" alive for as long as possible. I would if I was an owner. Thats how the owners made there money in the first place, getting the best deal possible.
   As for engineeers, I have not really found a massive dip in salary as we are meant to believe. This is, of course, only my expierience. What do other engineers find?

Ian Walker
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 12:15 PM

Dear Rupert,

Thanks for your reply to my salary thing and after much soul searching I have decided to take the position of Chief on the one that appears to have the greater potential. Thanks again and perhaps you could ket Dawn and Neil know.

Thanks again,  Ian

Average 0 out of 5