Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Crew Houses..duu duu duu duuuuuh !
notaputtycat
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:06 PM

Anyone care to describe their best/ worst experiences while staying at any crew houses in the States or Med? 

Any tips? Advice? Who to look out for?

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:00 PM
In Fort Lauderdale I would always recommend The Neptune Group for their crew houses. They seem to place good people that will respect the house and your space. On the otherside, unless you are 20 and looking for a 24/7 party, stay away from Mary's Crew House. Currently with the job/housing market being the way it is, there are quite a few crew that are renting rooms out in their personal homes. I know lots of crew that have gone this route and love it. Hope this helps and good luck!
d3viant
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:36 AM

In the Med (Antibes), check out www.debbiescrewhouse.com - seems to be the pick of the bunch there, in terms of price, features and location. And I'd avoid The Crew House like the plague.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 4:26 PM
Regarding the post from "anonymous".  Neptune and Mary's are both good places for crew to stay in Fort Lauderdale.  I dispute the comment that Mary's is a 24/7 party house.  I'm in my 40's and I've found them to be safe, clean, and well-managed; and her network of employers is huge.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 4:43 PM

There is a new place in Ft. Lauderdale called  Crew Castle,   is top of the line and doesn't charge more for it.   There is a  11 p.m. noise curfew,  strict  ZERO drug tollerance, and any guest that leaves a mess or dirty dishes or doesn't respect the place does not get invited to stay a second week.  The owner (an x Yacht Chef), is very helpful.  It is very close to 17th street and US 1.  They don't advertise, so it's hard to find, but International Yacht Training School knows  them and so does Dwight at Neptune Group (he sends people there when he is full). 

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2009 4:53 PM
To Anonymous at Crew Castle:  I stayed there and it is a fantastic place to stay.  MPT told me about them and it was great.  They have notes all over the place with tips to help you find work, what to do, what not to do.  The best tip Sam says is to " Always act as if your future Captain is standing right behind you...in this town, he just might be."   She has a big note that says  "Watch how you act in a crew house.  Your housemates may be in a position in the future to sway the person you have just applied to for a job. (or something like that).  I will always go back there whenever I am in the states.  The phone # is 954 931-8945.  But I'm in Palma now, and the places here don't stack up well.  Fair Winds to All!
Dwight
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:02 AM

To all those concerned (and even those, such as 'slug', that are not) -

My partner and I own and operate a crew house. Both of us are also highly experienced and highly accomplished yacht captains.  And both of us take offense at comments proffered by a certain 'slug' regarding crew housing.

Reading 'slug's' comments (he seems to prefer being known as a 'slug'), one finds that 'slug' doesn't complain about conditions regarding crew housing, but instead complains about 'Ex Yacht Captains' owning crew housing.  If there is an issue with ex yacht captains owning crew housing, then it isn't articulated very well by the 'slug'.

Reading more closely, one finds that the 'slug' likes to have fun at the expense of others...  what was the 'slug's' phrase? 
"You get to live for free and save up a big wedge of cash, handy in these lean times for chasing wine and women" 
Growing up, I myself learned from the short end that fun at the expense of others meant that innocents (such as you and me) are the ones that end up paying for the 'slugs' of the world.

I have a tip for the 'slugs' of the world - you can quote me on this if you like....

"Working On Yachts Is NOT For Average People", including the below average 'slugs' of the world.

I, and Captains like me, avoid the wino 'slugs' of the world, because the owners of the yachts that we work on, and answer to, demand something more from their crew than the casual "Chill, put your feet up, enjoy another bottle of wine"

Slugs of the world, fulfill your destiny and "go dig ditches"!  Stay off yachts, and stay out of the crew housing that caters to yachts.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:38 AM
I stayed at a few places in FT L when i was there last season.....
Mary's crew was cool and there was a party vibe, but mature people, Neptune group stay away from, serious few and bed bug issues, I will never recommend NG for crew houses. I will not recommend Floyds either unless you want to get laid and buy drugs and get your stuff stolen. I am a traveling yachtie and the best advise is get a clean place with month to month rent, this is available in Palma, Antibes and FT L...

blue seas

slug
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:00 AM

Yes my boy, very sound advice from that traveling yachty  !!!.  To be succesful on the water its important to conserve precious, hard won  cash and live a good life. Typically crew, during down time,  like to invite girl friends, family or fellow yachties to enjoy life with them while ashore.  Not possible in a crew house.

With a little looking around you can always find a nice apartment to rent and share with a fellow yachty at one quarter of the rates that Crew House Slum Lords charge. The crew house apartment across the street from the shipyard holds seven crew at 150 per week ...that's 4200 per month the ex yacht captain is harvesting to afford you the privilege of living with the bed bugs and standing in a foul shower.  For 4200 per month you can live on the beach  with a swimming pool and room service.  Plenty of 1000 per month, two bedroom apartments around that represent good value.  The local tourist authority keeps a list of legal tourist accomodation, short term rentals.
   And  Dwight,  the reason why Ex yacht captains choose to continue to milk the yacht scene for cash is this is what they have done for  their whole careers.  They know of no other way to make a buck. Sad really, next thing you know these ex captains are running a crew placement service or become Mr. 10 percent Yacht Agents.
    As captain I never subject my crew to these unscrupulous  crew houses  when the yacht is on the hard for  a maintenance schedule. The yacht simply rents a tourist accommodation apartment and saves so much money that my gang gets a rent a car and joins the local gym. 
   If your crew flat is in Spain, post the name and Ill have the local Spanish authorities swing  by for a courtesy check.  Perhaps you will be purchasing a  couple shovels and a wheelbarrel  to use when digging out of  from all the fines that will come down on your head.  Nothing makes my day brighter than watching an ex captain  ,who trys to milk  his fellow yacht crew,   squirm.

slug
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 11:38 AM

Oh and some inside knowledge for girls looking for cheap accommodation when coming over to Spain . Spring is here and many, many young Spanish girls come down to the coast looking for summer jobs in the tourist industry.  They know exactly how to rent a cheap apartment and they look for room mates to spread the cost.  To work in the tourist industry in Spain you must  speak English.  These girls all will speak English but they are a bit  rusty and need practice.  When you call looking for a room to rent they are very happy to meet you.  They get to practice their English  and you learn a bit of Spanish.   More importantly you make a friend and get to see Spain from the inside.  I see notices in the local Spanish newspaper and on bulletin boards in Internet cafes.  Give it a go, maybe you make a valuable local friend.
Rich
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 3:30 AM

I've stayed at Neptunes about 8 times over the last 10 years and have never had any problems with bed bugs or cleanliness or bad roomates - they do screen out bad guys (and bad girls) which helps make their places alot safer - plus the owners are also connected in the yachting industry and they also have DayWork123.com that helped me get my first 2 jobs on yachts - In their defense they've done more for me and yachties like me than any other crew house owner ever has - from antibes to san diego to rio - To that anonymus blogger - it sounds like you have an ax to grind - did they kick YOU out????

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:44 PM
[comment removed by moderator]  I've stayed at Neptune and the Castle and both were very helpful for my career.  I've stayed at others also, but as I have nothing good to say, I will not name them.  We all need as much help as possible, but I'd rather get help for my future instead of getting girls or learning spanish.
Ian
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:15 PM

[post removed by moderator]
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:10 PM
Actually Slug had an excellent advice for WOMEN looking for a temporary place to stay in Palma, an excellent alternative to a crew house that would have the benefit of meeting and making friends with other women from Spain. I thought it was a splendid idea and a great way to experience Spain instead of just hanging out with other foreigners and drinking in bars with other foreigners. After all travel is presumably a big reason why we get into this business and it can be hard to meet local folks. Here you'd have a chance to learn some Spanish, make new friends (help with their English), and likely stay in a nicer place than a big crew house. Give Slug a break.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:12 PM
When was the last time you stayed @ Floyds and got drugs...Floyds is under huge renovations inside and out....have you seen any of it?  The buildings are being painted as I write, the insides have been painted, up graded the furniture and increased the WIFI.  I have heard that Floyds is under NEW management and ownership.   Has anyone seen the improvements? 

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:20 PM
Have you heard...Floyds just did a preventative bed bug extermination...they even wrapped their mattresses in bed bags. I think their new colors are awesome.   Thumbs up to the new owners and managers.  

A recent Aussie stew

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:27 PM
Years ago I stayed at the Bridge on Cordova in Ft. Lauderdale, and there were bedbugs, so I demanded a refund and moved out. Since then, on various boats doing yard periods, I have been in a few Smart Move houses and a Neptune house. I try to stay away from both of these companies now, because a couple of the Smart Move houses were infested with cockroaches (!!) and the Neptune house was infested with fleas...and was absolutely filthy, to the point the stews had to spend a day cleaning it before we could move in. When you work keeping a yacht clean for a living, and you have the chance to live in a "real" house for a couple of months while the yacht you are employed upon is having major repairs, it is more than upsetting to move into places that are so badly maintained. Especially as the companies charge an arm and a leg for these houses. As a rule, we have found other short term rental apartments and always look to see how new they are, we look in drawers for critters, for tell-tale cans of anti-roach or flea sprays.
Debbie
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:28 AM
[This post has been removed by the forum moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:17 PM

I was at Floyd's recently and was appalled at the nepotism going on involving the management.  Instead of employing the hardworking tenants, jobs seemed to be shuffled to familhy members. 

Ian
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:16 AM

Debbie
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:12 AM

Nick
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:25 PM

Can I please remind members posting in the forum to do your best to abide by our guidelines. In particular, the point that everyone is entitled to an opinion, no matter how much you may disagree with it. And please don't use the forum to make personal attacks. We don't like deleting posts, particularly when there's a constructive point mixed in with all the negative stuff about other members.

Thanks

Nick

nick@dockwalk.com

Debbie
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:29 PM

I think the the Moderator[s] are doing a poor job over some of these threads.   If the moderator has a problem with arguments/name calling, then why do we even have a forum? Sometimes arguments and rants are necessary.  If the moderator needed to deal with these threads  so much, he should have just deleted people's full names and profanity instead of the entire post.  I wanted to use my posts and certain others for personal referencing in the future. I'm not the one who annotated the person's first/last name or spewed a bunch of profanity. Thank you for wasting my efforts and time.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:39 PM
There is a fabulous new Crew House in Antibes. It is brand new, clean and everyone there is helpful. It is owned by ex yachties (so its clean) who are still connected to the industry, so if there contacts need workers, they call the house. It is located near the hopstore, they have wifi, laundry, and aircon. A good place to stay.
faybion
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:17 AM

Hi

To the Post above ... My friends has stayed in the new crew house its behind the Hopstore, supposed to be excellent and clean. I have stayed in the Cre wHouse in Antibes, It was very dirty and smelly i wouldn't recommend myself but its a good laugh if thats what your looking for.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 4:10 PM
I have stayed at the Crew Castal 3 times and it's as good as those other guys say... job info, crew computer, tips.  Clean and quiet enuff to study, I guess because the rules are like on a yacht and she seems to be picky about who gets in and who stays.  The only other place that I  would  have considered staying was Neptune, and trust me I've stayed at the others.   But now that I found  CC,   I will  go there only.  She even picks us up from the grocery store when we have a lot of stuff. 
Rip
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 12:08 AM

I guess I've been lucky and never had to stay at a crew house. Neener neener!!!!

Seriously though, with so many local crew looking to save a buck on their own housing costs, there's TONS of rooms for rent with great people. 

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, September 7, 2009 4:40 AM
All i can say is Debbies crew house in antibes is awesome,
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:53 AM
Debbies is in Biot.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:55 AM
Antibes newest Crew House is the Crew Grapevine. It is clean, quiet, safe, and very helpful. Just a crawl from the hopstore, and has everything you need.
JG
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 9:58 AM

I stayed at the Crew Grapevine Crew House in Antibes. I loved it. I would come back when I am town again.
DayWalker28
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:46 PM

um no debbies falls under antibes, think you should learn how to use post codes and not a train station, biot is inland not near the sea, antibes is on the sea,

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:27 AM
ok, so its the biot train station, with an antibes post code. great.
DayWalker28
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:18 PM

oh so so so funny, Some people need to look at a chart or map to see how land borders work.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 2:06 PM
I think that person is saying only that Debbie's is a train ride to Antibes Port (albeit one stop) - while the other crew houses are within walking distance.
Tim
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:36 AM

As usual there is lots of misinformation out there in the blogo-sphere - lots of anonymous posts too.... I've been in the industry awhile and have stayed with Neptune Group in Ft Lauderdale about 6 times over the last 4 years - I read these posts and think people confuse Neptune Group with Neptune House - Neptune Group does in fact have about 6 bonafide 'crew houses' - including one called Neptune House;  they also have about 40 completely private 1 bedroom apartments and studios even more semi private apartments - Yeah the crew houses (think FRAT HOUSES) can be dirty at times like after a weekend party and people crashed all over the place, but Neptune does a real good job of cleaning up the places and lets face it, we stay at a crew houses to meet lots of people and do the 'netw2orking thing'.  I've been around long enough to go from green deckie to bosun on a 50 meter - I dont' need to 'network' so much anymore because I've built my own network - I used to stay in Neptune House and Vendeville House, and that really helped me 'break into the industry'.  But nowI can afford to stay with my girlfriend in a private apartment with Neptune and it's great!  Clean, everthing I need, close to IYT and MPT so I don't spend money on rental cars because I have 6 weeks of classes at both schools, a kitchen so I don't have to spend money eating and just plain affordable.  I meet with my 'network' of friends on the weekend, and get my privacy the rest of the time  -

So all you folks out there need to make the distinction between 'Crew House' and 'Crew Housing' -  There are lots of 'Crew Houses' that are wild, but if you want to sound informed, make the distinction between that and 'Crew Housing'

and ps - I've never once had a problem with theft or bedbugs with netpune group - and they have the DayWork123.com site too!!@!

Sail On -

Timothy      

haleyd79
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:43 PM

Anonymous wrote:
In Fort Lauderdale I would always recommend The Neptune Group for their crew houses. They seem to place good people that will respect the house and your space. On the otherside, unless you are 20 and looking for a 24/7 party, stay away from Mary's Crew House. Currently with the job/housing market being the way it is, there are quite a few crew that are renting rooms out in their personal homes. I know lots of crew that have gone this route and love it. Hope this helps and good luck!

YES! neptune group is GREAT! i stayed with them when i was in fort lauderdale to get my STCW '95 and I had a wonderful experience! I can't wait to get back down there and hope to stay with them again!!
Lise
Posted: Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:22 PM

Hi guys,

I will be heading to Fort Lauderdale early October to do some training and look for a crew job. I am wondering if there are any other current or potential crew members looking for someone to fill a room in a share house in the early season??

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 11:14 PM
Been a little while since there was any activity in this thread, but I'm going to be looking for a crew house in FTL soon. Any recommendations or updates to previous comments? By sifting the comments it seems to me that Mary's or Crew Castle are the way to go if you want to try and stay away from the heavy partying.
farcanal
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2011 12:03 AM

Just read the SLUGS retort to Dwight. Needed a good laugh after my painful Xmas lunch with my crew. [Text removed by moderator. Please follow forum guidelines.]
popeye
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2011 8:27 AM

I've stayed with Mary's Crew house several times and never had any problems.  People blame her for being "crazy" because she comes to check on her properties every day, but personally I see that as a good thing.  She comes by simply to enforce her rules, which I think are perfectly reasonable. 
Basically as long as you aren't doing drugs or drinking excessively, there's no problem.  If you are into that kind of thing, don't stay with Mary because she WILL throw you out if she catches you.  If you are clean and just looking for a decent, quiet place to stay, then Mary's is your place. 

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:13 PM

I haven't seen this year in FTL being that big on partying, even all the sponsored yachtie parties this year were pretty lame, it's not like it used to be around here like when Quarterdeck used to have "$5 bucket of beer" nights every Tues & Thurs. The only place I avoid is Floyd's.

Dakinecapt
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:25 PM

I am currently at Mary's Crew House on 18th Court and find it very Clean, Quite and Professionally run by Mary. She picked me up at the train station and placed me in one of her 3 houses that was best for my age and needs. Yes, she will even tell you that she has a "KIDS" house for the young newbies as well as places for the more mature crews not needing the big party scene. Can not beat the location to everything needed in Fort Lauderdale for crew. Price is right too.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:54 PM
i am not wuite sure how marys use to be but now its a place you definetly dont want to stay at.. clean i highly doubt that there are cockroaches running everywhere through the house and draws and whereever else. i was recently there and me along with 5 or 6 others all walked out she then badmouthed us to other crew housing for doing this to her but its just not a place we could stick round in any longer
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 3:52 PM
Any crew house is only as clean, quiet & safe as it's residents. you're best bet is to stay a few days and see who's there. Most will refund your money if you leave mid-week. Like yachting, it's finding the right mix of people you blend with. My experience with Crew Castle was not good only because of the party group she had there at the time. They were loud, drunk & dirty. It's also TOO big with too many people making it more difficult to keep clean & get kitchen time. The dishes are old with peeling Teflon pans, saggy beds & internet that works sometimes. The owner is also known to yachties as "nuts" and lives on-site, makes inapropriate comments to tenants, leaves childish notes everywhere & ban's people just because. There are many clean, professional places rented by individuals not crew houses. (cheaper too) The annonymous post below was obviously her.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2013 8:12 PM

Mary's Crew House is possibly the worst place in the US to stay. Unless you are looking to get shafted each week from your rent pay then ill stay far far far FAR away from Mary and her Crew house. She is the most unfriendly american I have ever met. She WILL treat you like crap and she WILL enter your room whenever she feels like it with her own set of keys. She [removed by moderator] brings a lot of negativity to the area and she is not a true representation. If any of these posts are trying to describe mary's crew house in any positive way then it is most likely written by herself.

Kind Regards Yachty

Therad
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 11:36 AM

STAY AWAY FROM MARYS CREW HOUSE!!! Worst experience in my life.. Bugs in the kitchen, bed lice/bugs in the beds, she comes into the apartment when you are not there unannounced. She gives you "chores". She asked me to do her a favor the other day, I did it for her, and just because it wasnt perfect, she came banging on the bedroom door at 23:10pm telling me to move something 2metres further than what it was. THe worst landlord/experience ever. Stay away from this place. She just milks you for as much as possible. People dont last long here. In the 2 weeks we have been here, there has been so many people leaving because of the bad circumstances. Just my advice and experience....stay away from this terrible place!!!!

Average 5 out of 5