Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Up coming Med season
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:41 PM
Last year at this time my boat had 4 forward bookings for the Med season... We've got NOTHING this year. I'm a little bit nervous. Is anyone out there booking? How's the med season looking for everyone?
junior
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:53 PM

If I read the newspapers correctly, every Investment Bank, the  worlds largest insurance company and the world biggest auto company have all gone bankrupt.  The government is rushing to smother these wildfires under a 2 trillion dollar blanket of cash.
   I would think that these dramatic events would concentrate the mind of any fool who thinks its a good summer to blow a hundred and fifty  grand on a quick spin with the kids between Cannes and St Tropez. I could be wrong, Im not an economist.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 12:42 PM
judging by the current winter season in the on this side of the pond (Bahamas/Carib), the Med Season is not going to be good   I doubt things will turn around in time to save the summer season.

Thomas Shipton
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:25 PM

We are new to the industry this season. We are worried by the resession talk we beleive it will be harder to find jobs and alot more people may have to return home in stead of living the dream working aboard a super yacht.

We are going to make sure that we aren't among those people going home.

Our job is to find a job. I'm a big believer in the law of attraction. Work as smartly as you can to achieve that job and you will get it.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:45 PM
Oprah has a yacht Thomas, and she believes in that Law of Attraction thing. Perhaps you should shoot off an application directly to her Harpo studios in Chicago.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 2:53 PM

The buzz I've heard is it might be a last-minute rush this year. There've been a lot of inquiries but not so many bookings. Obviously people are looking for more for their money this year. I predict that the season will start a bit later but hopefully will fill up wth last-minute bookings.

To the original poster, hope it picks up for you.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:19 PM
[This post has been removed by the forum moderator]

Thomas Shipton
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:13 AM

I understand from friends in the industry there are alot of people that will try to put you down or mock you, try to dent your confidence to make themselves feel better.

The above posts Re: Oprah's yacht and asking me if those are tits were clearly made by those type of people.

To everyone out there trying to find a job, try to surround yourself with positive people and work hard to get your job.

Good luck.

P.S

I applied directly to Oprah

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:12 AM
Good for you! If you stay at it, keep smiling, and simply don't give up; your success will be assured. And I think it was an excellent idea to send Oprah a resume.
Scott49
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:50 AM

I was just in a ship yard that 2 yachts that are 50 meter plus that usually do the med are being parked for the season. 
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:53 PM

Parked, hibernated, laid up, mothballed...all new words for me this year.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 11:33 PM
My yacht has charters booked......I'm looking for a 2nd Stewardess for the Med season if anybody is looking for work.  Need solid experience of about 2 seasons on a similar boat doing all the usual Stewardess duties.  Paid in Euros.  Female Aussies/Brits......drop me a message.

Good luck to all with the season - hope everyone has a safe and successful summer.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:11 PM

This post has been removed by the forum moderator.

Debbie
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:30 AM

In reply to the post above that requested Brit/Aussie crew, I would hope more American owners  become  aware of posts like the one above.  Chances are the yacht you're helping to supervise is owned by an American. 

I can not wait to the day when creeps like you will have a more difficult time getting work outside of Europe or your home port.  That will be the day.

Question to some American yachties out there, do you think this business of Brit/English international influence of this industry is a resonate of a kind of new world order in yachting?

Anybody watch "The Obama Deception" on youtube? I'm not saying I'm buying it, but hey the Fed is pretty controlling as it is.  

slug
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:05 AM

Some Kinda new world order ?   I doubt it.  I see a return to nationalism around the waterfront.  British dominated the marine industry over here  in the Med for years.  Each year I see less.  Study the development of the Balearic Island waterfront and you will see that the Spanish have taken back the controls of the whole waterfront.  Law suites are still being filed by aggrieved British..  Remember the huge Boat Yard Palma was British run.  As far as the Yachts . on my Quay I am the only foreigner out of 15 crewed yachts.....,  Opps forgot about the Dutch crew on the motoryacht.....  Very many Spanish captains and crews coming on line in the past decade.  Its actually a pleasure to be around local people, particularly the Spanish.  Breath of fresh air.  In this marina there were 6 charter brokers, I now see 4 and the two that recently went belly up are both British. 

The British Aussie defect has always been that they don't speak languages.  This inability to speak  fed a whole industry of middle men who acted as translators for even the simplest task....do you have a slip available ?    Naturally they do !  at 3 times the normal rate.  Owners picked this up, saw the cost savings available and did what you would do.  Id say the same will happen back in the states.  A local boy is South Florida knows how and who to go to for best value.  The foreigner will be stuck  dealing with middlemen  and paying thru the nose.  This concept of local knowledge is the true value of a good yacht crew. 
   The big industrial strength motoryachts will probably be stuck with British Aussie crews for the foreseeable future.  Most people I know just don't like working on those floating duty free shopping malls.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:27 PM
Hi Debbie.  Considering your previous rants I am not surprised to hear from you.

Firstly, I am a female.  A Chief Stewardess with 10 yrs experience on larger boats.  Not some 'creep' as you so brashly put it.  And therefore I also do not 'supervise' their yacht.  That would be the Captain, who is Australian.

Secondly, the Owners of my yacht are British, not American.  People outside of the USA have money also....

Thirdly, if I choose to hire people from my side of the world or ones which I feel myself and the rest of the professional crew will get along well with, bond easily with and will not cost the earth when it comes to insuring them,  that is my decision and my decision only.  The Chef is American and after the drama of getting insurance for him, we no longer hire Americans.  I suggest you take that issue up with the insurance company and not some Chief Stewardess simply trying to stay in budget due to the disaster created initally by the US government.

Lastly, I have no desire to work in the States.  Been there done that with my 10yr visa which your government so kindly gave me.  Have already ticked that of my 'list of things to do'.

However, if this still does not satisfy you, please feel free to send me your CV......and I will pop it straight in the bin.  Not because you are American, but because you are a mouthy brat who has frequently been dissed on this forum by others.  And now by me.

monback
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:25 PM

On the site observation Palma de Mallorca . The crisis is taking bite.

Had a walk down the Paseo Maritimo in Palma yesterday checking out  all the parked megayachts, deserted, wind blasted,  sad sight indeed, almost   Dickensonian  "a cesspool, bubbling and seething with the constant rise of the foul products of decomposition." With grubby, "consumptive-looking ducks" swimming upon it.

Crossed the street and wandered into the German quarter.  Place looks like Baghdad  with deep trenches dug around yacht brokerages and Bunkers springing up on every street corner.  Green zone forming.  Tense, stand clear.

Over in the Old Town all the British bars are boarded up, air raid sirens wailing. Queen preparing to address the hungry hoards of dayworkers and sunken eyed stewardess's.  Looks like mandatory food rationing.

Inside the French Quarter the streets were lined with homemade white flags flying proud with  "La Marseillaise'  softy playing in the background.    They  have capitulated .

All along the seawall in front of Varadaro were gangs of sunburnt  BN's,  sitting on the rail,  high fiving,  crack'n jokes and  building barbeque's ,    preparing for a Sardine  feast.   Look'n good.....we win again.     IN US THEY TRUST

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:41 PM
No idea what the above waffle from Monback means.  Good to see yachties sticking together during these times.....not.  And I really don't think the chief stew hiring needs a hard time for doing her job.....we all got a budget.  Please, before you all start.....I'm American.
And since when have Brits not spoken languages?????  What an absurd comment.....opposite.....all my old skippers did......Aussies definitely don't speak the European languages much, but the Brits?????

Debbie
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 5:34 AM
Anonymous wrote:
Hi Debbie.  Considering your previous rants I am not surprised to hear from you.

Firstly, I am a female.  A Chief Stewardess with 10 yrs experience on larger boats.  Not some 'creep' as you so brashly put it.  And therefore I also do not 'supervise' their yacht.  That would be the Captain, who is Australian.

Secondly, the Owners of my yacht are British, not American.  People outside of the USA have money also....

Thirdly, if I choose to hire people from my side of the world or ones which I feel myself and the rest of the professional crew will get along well with, bond easily with and will not cost the earth when it comes to insuring them,  that is my decision and my decision only.  The Chef is American and after the drama of getting insurance for him, we no longer hire Americans.  I suggest you take that issue up with the insurance company and not some Chief Stewardess simply trying to stay in budget due to the disaster created initally by the US government.

Lastly, I have no desire to work in the States.  Been there done that with my 10yr visa which your government so kindly gave me.  Have already ticked that of my 'list of things to do'.

However, if this still does not satisfy you, please feel free to send me your CV......and I will pop it straight in the bin.  Not because you are American, but because you are a mouthy brat who has frequently been dissed on this forum by others.  And now by me.

It takes all kinds to be creeps. But since the rest of  your post is so baseless and stupid for me to respond, I'll just leave it at that.  Ecck!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:19 PM
Oh Debbie!  Someone doesn't like being proved wrong or having jumped on someone for just doing there job (some call it trolling...you do it very well), do they?!  Your (considerably more polite) reply says it all.  Thanks!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:49 PM
THANK YOU ALL who applied for the job above.  There was an over-whelming response and I have filled the position.  Three Americans applied out of around 80 applicants - even though I had adverts on other sites not stating a preference to nationality - which just shows that over here in the Med it is easy to simply hire every nationality other than American as there are no US candidates to fill the jobs.

I wish each and every one of you the best of luck for the upcoming season and fair seas.

Thanks again.

Debbie
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:31 AM

How do you say "dork" in the Queen's English?   Dork or 'Dark'?

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:07 AM

The Pacific is full on & it appears charter guests are looking for somewhere that they can charter boats outside of the watchful eye of the paparazzi without feeling embarrassed that they can afford this.
Get yee boat's down to the hidden treasure........The Pacific!!!  Exchange rates are VERY favourable also!!!

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:24 AM

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie.......The brits don't say the word 'dork', so it wouldn't be used by the Queen.

They do however say the word 'professional', which is what I would say that girl's response was.

Admit defeat dude......you're lookin silly.....

Thomas Shipton
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 4:28 AM

Sooooo, how is the season going for you all so far? Palma is our home port, seen a few of the big boats come and go, been to Antibes and the international key was pretty near full. Lots of people looking for work lots of people getting work. Quite a few boats still haven't had a guest or an owner on board yet. Maybe this is common?
KMiller
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:20 PM

Our boat - a one year old 35m m/y - is fully booked May-end of Sept.  Good Captain and crew, good interior and brilliant Chef......recipe for success.  Get on a boat with a good name with the brokers and you're halfway there.  I've been on since before build and we have a great team who have also all remained onboard.  It's all about the crew, as they say.  The brokers that is, not me!

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:35 AM
Good to hear you're having a good season Miller! Hope that's an indicator of what's to come on this side of the pond.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:36 AM
If any yacht is going to be busy this year it does not surprise me that it would be a smallish one like the 35 meter above. It WOULD be interesting to know how many bookings a yacht like Leander has going on this summer. That's serious money, and is a yacht that never fails to disappoint charter clients.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:12 PM
I would suggest that "dork" in Queens English would be something like this; "That wretched American woman, how uncouth!"
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:54 PM
Long Live Debbie , She must have retired, I haven't seen her mug posted around lately. I miss the entertainment.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:09 PM
where has debbie gone?? For her information we wouldn't use the word dork to describe people. Wench is an interesting word.

Average 1.5 out of 5